Bowling length dependant on surface?

PJR

School Cricketer
I've always wondered this. When commentators talk about a good length etc and you also see the pitch map divided into colours per area length - it depends on the softness or hardness of the pitch right? So if that is correct then the coloured areas will change where they are rather than the same for every pitch? I.e. a good length on one pitch may not be the same for another pitch? And I presume a good length is hitting the top of stumps?
Thanks!

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
PlanetCricket Award Winner
I've always wondered this. When commentators talk about a good length etc and you also see the pitch map divided into colours per area length - it depends on the softness or hardness of the pitch right? So if that is correct then the coloured areas will change where they are rather than the same for every pitch? I.e. a good length on one pitch may not be the same for another pitch? And I presume a good length is hitting the top of stumps?
Thanks!
I'd consider good length to be a length that leaves a batsman unsure whether to play off the front or back foot. Good length doesn't change, but a good length to bowl does and varies from pitch to pitch.

So if you want to hit the stumps on harder pitch you might need to pitch it up more. But then I believe that pitches will vary (e.g. grassy hard is softer than dry hard).

The colours won't change in the game. I don't know how much or how well this impacts the AI.

PJR

School Cricketer
It's a bit confusing really though as bowling a good length on a very soft pitch ends up at the batsman's shins which isnt really a good length at all! So in reality on a pitch like that a good length would be much nearer the wicket.

GuyIncognito

Chairman of Selectors
AUS..
RCB...
MS
Melbourne Stars
Birmingham Phoenix
The Boys
Profile Flag
Australia
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
I find using R1 or L1 for shorter or longer length deliveries with the type of length help a fair bit on grassy/soft/dry pitches.

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
PlanetCricket Award Winner
It's a bit confusing really though as bowling a good length on a very soft pitch ends up at the batsman's shins which isnt really a good length at all! So in reality on a pitch like that a good length would be much nearer the wicket.
It's really the problem of language and being clear about separating good length vs a good length to bowl.

What i would say is avoid very soft and soft pitches. Personally, i think the bounce is not very realistic.

whiteninness

Panel of Selectors
I don't know it affects the AI but I know when batting that on a soft surface I can often leave green "good" lengths and they will bounce over the stumps but on a softer surface I need to be careful as a fuller good length will be stump height.

A great aspect of the game! Very satisfying leaving balls on length.

PJR

School Cricketer
Yes I always use length variation buttons it was just an observation really about the pitch map and what really is a good length as they may not always match. I avoid soft pitches as it can ruin the match!

Ravina

School Cricketer
It's a bit confusing really though as bowling a good length on a very soft pitch ends up at the batsman's shins which is not really a good length at all. So in reality on a pitch like that a good length would be much nearer the wicket.

MuchMore

International Coach
Profile Flag
Fiji
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
I don't think you should go by the colour marking - given other factors like bowler height, bowling action and delivery type also mater, this colour marking will have to keep changing every so often. So use it just as a reference on a regular pitch and work backwards for the conditions you are playing in.

Users who are viewing this thread