Brazil 2014 Fifa World Cup Thread

StinkyBoHoon

National Board President
Ok, so only the play offs to go and then we'll know which teams have made it, so we're starting the thread now.

the european play offs have fallen a bit disappointingly in all honesty.

Portugal v Sweden
Ukraine v France
Greece v Romania
Iceland v Croatia

You'd expect France to go through, because they'll cheat, which is a shame because an emerging Ukraine side would have been more interesting than a fading Croatia side (which I watched Scotland take apart last week, embarrassing) and Romania and Greece aren't particularly exciting but the match up of Sweden and portugal will mean either C.Ronadlo or Zlatan won't be going, making the tournament minus one of world footballs genuine stars.

In south america Ecuador pulled their typical trick of not winning a single away game but sneak through because they beat everyone at home playing in the sodding mountains, however, Uruguay will certainly tank Jordan so I doubt they're too worried.

Africa has another leg of their qualifiers to play, interesting to see Burkina Faso are leading going to Algeria, have they ever been to a World Cup before? the only dead cert is Egypt won't turn a 6-1 deficit.

In North America Mexico only managed to make the play offs and saw honduras and costa rica finish above them, must be one of the weakest mexican sides in history and New Zealand might still fancy their chances of going to successive world cups.

comments please

thedon5

Panel of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
I'd argue Romania can be quite exciting, they could surprise a few people. Greece on the other hand aren't looking too great, this is a far cry from the European Championship winning team.

As stated in the other thread I hope Zlatan goes and not CR7 as it'd be hilarious and I enjoy watching Zlatan more anyway. Looking at the rest of their respective teams, Sweden are looking good - they just played a great game without Zlatan and look to be finding form. Portugal on the other hand, you'd have to argue they are absolutely not having one of their better periods.

I hope New Zealand go through, we have some great European players now like Winston Reid, Marco Rojas and Kosta Barbarouses. Stronger than we have been for a while and I might actually support New Zealand in football for once if we go through.

War

Chairman of Selectors
Ha @ France will cheat. But seriously that is strong team they have & under coach Deschamps i've sensed a level of serenity to that team that was not present during the turmoil days of Raymond Domenech.

The clear European dark horses once they qualify.

People say England are too dependant of Rooney, but Portugal depend on Ronaldo even more & that was shown during their group stage, which is why Russia won the group. Since Pauletta retired they haven't produced a good enough striker, so if they don't get to Brazil they have to question their own production line instead of pointing fingers of the play-off match FIFA gave them.

Been slightly surprised of lackluster Croatia have been in recent matches. I haven't watched them in a while, but you wouldn't expect that from a team with players of the caliber of Modric & Mandzukic (spell check) in their ranks. Plus they have this young defender Loveren @ Southampton making himself known.

In Africa i hope this time Ivory Coast golden generation once they reach Brazil, don't get another "group of death" - then the conspiracy theorist will surely have much acumen.

Ghana team looks fairly excellent too when you consider their mid-field options - Essein, Prince-Boateng, Asamoah, Muntari. Just maybe given the conditions in Brazil a African team could reach a semi-finals for the 1st time in their history.

Still reckon Mexico will have enough to topple NZ, but ha if NZ can leave the Azteca with a draw it could get interesting.

Last edited:

thedon5

Panel of Selectors
Ghana look poor defensively. Egypt were very wasteful so couldn't make use of it, but that was one of the poorest games you'll see defensively, especially in terms of the defensive system. They all bombed forward non-stop really, no support from midfield and the full-backs were going up the pitch as well. They certainly have to improve.

SpitfiresKent

ICC Board Member
ZIM...
Profile Flag
England
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
I really don't think the Ukraine game will be easy for France and I can see an upset in this fixture.

StinkyBoHoon

National Board President
It's not guaranteed but I think War is right and this france team could be like the German team of 2010. they've got a lot of players in the 25ish bracket, someone of them, like benzema who are beginning to deliver on their initial promise. reckon they'll need a few young surprise packages though, pogba is an obvious contender but they'll need one or two more, dunno if anyone knows anything about the french league and who else might possibly step up (don't think Kondogbia is that good really, I've seen him play a few times and I don't get the hype. some bloke called Rivi?re is high up in the scoring charts but the best young player I'm aware of in france is Veratti and he's italian)

War

Chairman of Selectors
To me with France its not really about them having young players stepping up - its just their proven stars around the various EURO leagues just playing as a team really.

They were never going to beat Spain & win their group - but as i said i believe Deschamps is building on the little progress that Laurent Blanc had started.

Ribery has arguably been the best player in the world last season. Giroud is hitting his straps @ Arsenal & Benzema could be finally sorting himself out.

Their Newcastle contingent is very impressive; Nasri is playing somewhat close to his best again, we all know about Pogba, Varane was arguably the most impressive young central defender to emerging worldwide last season.

When i look at mid-fielders like Pogba, Matudi, Capoue, Sissoko, those are serious athletes that i reckon most teams will need in Brazil conditions, that Le Blue have in abundance.

CG123

Chairman of Selectors
In North America Mexico only managed to make the play offs and saw honduras and costa rica finish above them, must be one of the weakest mexican sides in history and New Zealand might still fancy their chances of going to successive world cups.

And Mexico wouldn't even be here if it wasn't for the USA scoring two goals in injury time against Panama.

It's definitely going to be tough for us, but we are a chance, however slim that might be. Scoring goals is our big problem, especially if we're a goal down after the first leg. Since the 2010 WC we've only scored 2+ goals twice against non-Oceania teams.

----------

I hope New Zealand go through, we have some great European players now like Winston Reid, Marco Rojas and Kosta Barbarouses. Stronger than we have been for a while and I might actually support New Zealand in football for once if we go through.

Nelson leaves a massive hole though, because of that I'd argue that they're about the same. Bahrain were obviously a much easier proposition than Mexico are though.

War

Chairman of Selectors
BBC Sport - Diego Costa: Brazil-born striker commits to Spain

Document 'commits' striker Diego Costa to Spain - ESPN FC

Well its official now. I suspect come world cup time, Costa's decision to stay with Spain could be the difference between Spain potentially winning a third title & Brazil securing their dream to win at home.

Brazil i reckon needed him more. Fred has be doing well, but Costa looks like that world class "# 9" that they have seeking since Ronaldo left the scene & Adriano went into terminal decline.

With Torres potentially regaining his touch & Negredo, Soldado, Llorente, Michu performing across Europe - La Roja could have an abundance of options to choose from next year.

Umair7

El Presidente
AUS..
Ireland
Kings XI
KK
Hobart Hurricanes
Survival Games Finalist
Champions League Winner
Avengers
Oval Invincibles
Profile Flag
Australia
Soldado=Pendado

thedon5

Panel of Selectors
Soldado and Llorente are awful and Michu has proven himself to not be a striker.

War

Chairman of Selectors
^^

That's a bit over the top harsh on those trio of strikers don't you think/

thedon5

Panel of Selectors
When was Michu ever a proper striker though? He is nothing more than a false 9 up there, perhaps a better false 9 option than Fabregas though. While I think he's a good player he's not Spain quality.

Soldado and Llorente were always terrible in my opinion. I couldn't stop laughing when Spurs paid so much for Soldado, about as average as they come. Ridiculous how he has so many goals this season, with all but one from penalites.

A rejuvenated Torres is good, but the Torres of the last few years isn't. Negredo is unplayable on his day and IMO the best option, though he may not fit the tactics in every game in which case a false 9 like Fabregas could be used, maybe even Michu.

War

Chairman of Selectors
When was Michu ever a proper striker though? He is nothing more than a false 9 up there, perhaps a better false 9 option than Fabregas though. While I think he's a good player he's not Spain quality.

Soldado and Llorente were always terrible in my opinion. I couldn't stop laughing when Spurs paid so much for Soldado, about as average as they come. Ridiculous how he has so many goals this season, with all but one from penalites.

A rejuvenated Torres is good, but the Torres of the last few years isn't. Negredo is unplayable on his day and IMO the best option, though he may not fit the tactics in every game in which case a false 9 like Fabregas could be used, maybe even Michu.

Well both Michu & Soldado as i'm sure you were aware was among the top 5 goal-scorer in la liga & the BPL last season. Michu certainly deserved to be considered for Spain recently, although i'd give you he is probably not 100% Spain quality.

Paying over the top for players in the BPL in the norm, so that's not really Soldado's fault. But to say he is "terrible" is pretty over the top man. Sure he hasn't scored big goals to date in open play, but i'd be surprised if that remains the trend for the rest of this season. Everything else about his game looks good.

Llorente is like a Peter Crouch/Andy Carroll with more ball skills. Very untypical Spanish striker & certainly not everyone's kettle of fish, especially for a passing team like Spain. He would be useful if a team is a set up to play around his strengths & id wager @ Juve he might have that.

On current form though i reckon Costa would become Spain # 1 striker right away now, Negredo # 2, then Villa and Torres. If Torres doesn't keep his current form, then Soldado will pip him for a WC squad place.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread