Buchanan confirms World Cup swansong

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Australian cricket coach John Buchanan has confirmed he will stand down after next year's World Cup in the Caribbean, Cricket Australia said today.

Full article here

Hes done so much for us, but probably was time for him to go as I don't know how well he would have gone developing the youngsters.

And I hear Rixon's keen for the job......he'd adopt an entirely different approach to running things if actually appointed.

Yea I read that somewhere, he would be a good coach. He took the Black Caps to the semis in the 99 WC and basically looked after the youth guys coming up through their ranks.

shane warne has come out in the media here in aus and said that he would prefer a past player (eg - moody or chappel) as they will be able to deal with new players easier and understand the demands of playing for australia. i dont have a source though. just the paper

from the report i read it looks like moody and chappel were the prefered choices at the moment. having said that its still a long time to go. if for some reason austrlaia didnt win back the ashes on home soil, buchanan may not even make the world cup.

He'll make the World Cup, its too close to go sacking a coach.
Rixon looks to be the best of the coaches that have expressed interest, don't really know about the other two.

aussie1st said:
Yea I read that somewhere, he would be a good coach. He took the Black Caps to the semis in the 99 WC and basically looked after the youth guys coming up through their ranks.

Yeah, he's a very hard man/strong character, of which is a perfect trait for a role of this intense capacity. Dav Whatmore's also been thrown in the mix, apparently.

Whatmore thats interesting, hes done well with his teams I guess but so has Moody and Chappell. The favourite right now looks like Tim Nielsen.

Users who are viewing this thread