C2k4 thoughts

barmyarmy

Retired Administrator
Having finally got the game, I'm going to say that I think batting is ridiculously easy and bowling too hard.
The screenshot below shows my first match:
I've never hit 6 6s off an over before in C2k2. Then bowling, I couldn't take a wicket. All my wickets came from runouts and I was hit at 13 an over (bowling was my strength in c2k2). The rubout bug definitely has the potential to ruin the game, all three weren't marginal, they were suicidal. I had no edges, I couldn't bowl over 86mph, and no swing or seam on a green wicket.
I hope this is just a bad first impression...

Attachments

• pic1.jpg
    pic1.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 110
Yes Colin, I certainly hope you were not playing on hard :(

Hard is far more challenging, though you will need ravi's patch to make it remotely enjoyable

Originally posted by barmyarmy
Yeah, it was easy as it was my first game. My point was that bowling was a lot harder than batting.

Although our strengths are different at cricket games, I have to admit, in c2002, bowling was harder than batting for me.

a bloke on another forum sent a lengthy bug report to the tech support. i have experienced most of these bugs too.
- With auto fielding and a Custom field with the mid on and mid off pushed as close to the pitch as possible, computer batsman tend to run after the fielder at mid on picks up the ball. Since he is only metres away from the stumps and already has the ball, this almost always results in a run out. This seems to occur when both the batsman and fielder are in the screen together with the camera view looking forward towards the pitch, with the fielder running towards the pitch sorry for the convoluted description, but I?m trying to make it easier to replicate the situation]. It happened no less than five times in my last ODI match alone. This has happened on Medium difficulty level; I have not tried this with the others yet.

- The commentary is frequently incorrect, calling maiden overs ?very expensive?, using a dismissed batsman?s name instead of the bowler in ?X runs off that over from [player]?, incorrectly calling the number of runs scored off an over, being one behind on the over rate and so on.

- The fatigue bar does not appear to work at all.

- With one of the particularly aggressive computer fields (with the CPU bowling), there is a fielder who walks across the pitch as the ball is being bowled! I?m sure you can understand this is most distracting. I have only seen it once, and unfortunately did not record the details of the field so I cannot provide more specific information.

- One quite rare (but rather annoying) bug ? occasionally when the ball reaches the boundary, the umpire will not signal four and instead the batsman can continue to run for around 30 seconds before the game moves on. I had thought this was limited to overthrows that went for four (this happened twice going for 6 and 7 runs ? though I think these amounts were correct as they had already run two and three respectively before the four overthrows) but later happened again after an edge to the boundary. On this occasion the CPU batsmen ran eight.

- Form does not seem remotely linked to performance ? and I certainly hope this is a bug. On my first tour match in the West Indies, Kasprowicz took 2/21 and 7/34 while Gilchrist hit 81 and 34*. Kasprowicz?s bowling form bar was very small ? almost nonexistent. This made me think for a moment that perhaps a short bar represented good form (it doesn?t seem to be covered in the manual) until I noticed Gilchrist?s batting form meter was almost full. Since both players performed well in these areas, their form should be similarly good. Instead, they are at opposite ends of the spectrum, which makes no sense whatsoever. This seems to happen quite regularly, so I can only assume that a short bar represents good form for a bowler while a long one equals good form for a batsman. This seems very odd to me, but is the only way this makes sense.

- Ricochets off the stumps at the bowler?s end from a batsman?s shot that go for boundaries are confused with overthrows. Hence, the batsman is credited with both the boundary and any runs made before it gets there.

- More of a suggestion than anything else, but it is rather difficult to pick sides when neither the pitch conditions or even the type of match in the case of a tour match (eg. 4-day, 3-day, one day?) is available before team selection. If possible, these would be very useful additions to the game in a patch.

- Excessive byes

- Incorrect scoreboards when game played in Autoplay mode (all 11 batsmen given out as dismissed - one with mode of dismissal but no bowler (eg. LBW ) and presumably one with "Run out" instead of "not out".

- Records from tour matches (ie. touring international side vs. local side) are incorrectly listed under Test (they are actually first class games). They also seem to get the opposition wrong ? eg a record I got for Australia vs. West Indies A was recorded as Australia vs. Australia.

- The Hall of Fame does not seem to record declared innings in the highest innings total.

- The selection bug, easily the worst of the game as it pretty much ****s up any gameplan you may have if you can't even select your own side.

- Quite ridiculous results on Autoplay - sides being bowled out in the 20s and so forth.
the response he got was priceless... "In this instance, the best thing to do is to update your sound and video drivers." :D

The real pain in the ass about C2K4 is that it really is only one major patch away from being a top notch cricket game. My favourite bug of the moment is when you play a shot that just stops short of the boundary. RB says one of his repetetive "that'll be four more" lines, and the fielders give up on the ball. but because it doesn't reach the boundary, everything just stops for about 30 seconds, except for one thing - your ability to run between wickets. my personal record for runs in that 30 second period is 16 runs, all from one shot... :)

EA and HB really deserve a pretty severe kick in the butt for this pathetic - bordering on arrogant - untested release. most of the real showstopper bugs are apparent within a few hours of play, and i find it impossible to believe that any significant amount of testing was employed at all. They've taken us for a right royal ride, and if no demo is released before the next version i will absolutely make sure i test it through 'other means' before i even think about parting with my cash for the game...

I agree that there are some glimpses of an excellent game in here. I sent an Australian youth side (Carseldine, North and the grossly over-rated Perren) over to the West Indies, and they were getting whacked all over the body from a series of bouncers from the West Indies pacemen. It was great fun...or at least it was until Hayden and Langer opened in my second innings.

I find CPU batting on hard level quite repetitive, though. They leave or block pretty much everything until they either get out (usually an edge to the slips off a pacemen or lobbed block off a spinner) or get their confidence up. Then they go at 6-8 runs per over, get to 40-60 and lob up a shot to mid-on off a spinner. Tailenders seem to bat far too well, IMO. They should not be blocking too many 140+kph yorkers on middle stump, but only seem to go out to them in one-day games when they try and take a big swing at them.

Users who are viewing this thread