Can we have an English team consisting of English players ?

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
In the light of Rankin's retirement from the Irish team, one is prompted to ask the question- whether England will ever have a full team consisting only of English players ?

In recent times, we have had the likes of Joyce and Morgan turning out for England.[bar Joyce's return]. Additionally, due to non-cricketing reasons, a lot of South Africans also turned out for England-i.e- Kevin Peitersen and a lot more.

So,when exactly will we see a full English side comprising of only the British ?

And is it fair to have a top Test side being a mix-n-match of players from around the world ?

Calling support for the Irish to get Test status is a must in these days when they are merely turning out to be a bredding gorund for the English.

cricket_icon

International Cricketer
I think KP has British citizenship now...so he is British, as are all the players I can think of currently in the side.

angryangy

ICC Chairman
I don't think you're going far enough. Bring back amateurism. The class of English cricket is polluted by these plebeians expecting a wage. Only the gentry have the decorum to be allowed to represent the country.

cricket_icon

International Cricketer
I don't think you're going far enough. Bring back amateurism. The class of English cricket is polluted by these plebeians expecting a wage. Only the gentry have the decorum to be allowed to represent the country.

:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol

All jokes aside, I think I know what the thread started is trying to say. This is an English team, not a Great Britain team which is represented in the Olympics and such. How then can we have Irishmen coming over and getting a contract, and a large number of South Africans invading the county game. It lessens the opportunity of English players, those who have been born or raised in this country.

puddleduck

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
If English actually meant anything that would be fine, but it hasn't meant anything since around about the same time we were first invaded :p

War

Chairman of Selectors
The real issue with Irish players turning out for England is the fact that, their is unfair rules for switching nationalities between "major nations" and "associate nations".

Their isn't a real strict qualifying rules between switching to play for a major country if you are associate player. All they have to do if play in that countries domestic tournament for a while and they would qualify.

If an Afghanistan player played in the Ranji trophy long enough and India rated him, he could play for India very quickly - its just that it happens with England more.

In FIFA their is one qualification rule for all 200+ plus nations. So that's the issue the ICC needs to address.

KBC

Panel of Selectors
If an Afghanistan player played in the Ranji trophy long enough and India rated him, he could play for India very quickly - its just that it happens with England more.

You might want to take a look at India's citizenship policy before you say that....

or if you really mean 12 years is a very quick time.

:spy

War

Chairman of Selectors
You might want to take a look at India's citizenship policy before you say that....

or if you really mean 12 years is a very quick time.

:spy

Oh ha, that's a massive qualification gap, thought is half that time. But then again, India or Asian countries have never really faced that scenario like England.

MUFC1987

Panel of Selectors
In England, you have to be there for 5 years I believe, before you can be granted a Passport, which then makes you British and therefore available for England. That's why KP had to wait to play for England.

I don't see the problem though. Britain on the whole is seen as a multi-cultural society, which is something I'm proud of really. I like that people from other nationalities can come to Britain and live here and feel British, it's great to see.

Besides, Rankin isn't giving up playing for Ireland just to play for England. He's doing it because his county (Warwickshire) are saying he's playing too much cricket, playing for them, England Lions and Ireland. Obviously if he has plans to a) stay as a professional cricketer and b) play for England it was obvious which one was going to be given up on first.

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
If the likes of Mushtaq Ahmed and Azhar Mahmood were any younger, they would have definetly turned out for England.

mrtwisties

Club Cricketer
I'd like to see the Saxons and Normans kicked out of the team. If your ancestors didn't fight alongside Boadicea you've got no business in English whites, that's what I say. ;)

VC the slogger

PlanetCricket Forever
India
AFG...
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Rankin can be a great bowler for England. He's tall and can bowl quite fast, a combination batsmen don't like very much.

Owzat

International Coach
Rankin can be a great bowler for England. He's tall and can bowl quite fast, a combination batsmen don't like very much.

When I read Rankin wanted to play for England I was a bit bemused. Being quick and tall isn't something I'd pick a player on the sole basis of. I decided to look at the heights of some of our quicker bowlers :

Tremlett 6' 7" - Test ave 26.75
Finn 6' 7" - Test ave 29.46
Rankin 6' 7" - n/a
Broad 6' 5" - Test ave 30.66
Onions 6' 2" - Test ave 29.90
Anderson 6' 2" - Test ave 30.41
Bresnan 6' 0" - Test ave 30.05

So we already have three quicks over 6' 4", is there a call for another? He'd be behind Finn surely? Probably Tremlett too, of the 7 inchers

FCC

Tremlett 391 wkts @ 27.63 (SR 52.8, ER 3.13)
Finn 277 wkts @ 27.81 (SR 48.6, ER 3.43)
Rankin 161 wkts @ 28.55 (SR 45.8, ER 3.73)

It's not even like he's a spring chicken, turned 28 last month.

StinkyBoHoon

National Board President

almost all of englands team is already quite upper class, 8 of the players in the team that just played south africa were privately educated.

Users who are viewing this thread