Can't get opposition out in 2nd innings on a seaming pitch

Lanceknight

School Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
I've been having trouble getting batsmen out on a seamer's wicket (erratic bounce) under overcast conditions, in the second innings. Here's what happened:

Playing vs Essex, put them in under cloudy conditions and my fast bowlers did a good job bowling them out for 255. I kept my line and length against the batsmans' strengths and was able to stifle the score and get 'em out. Here's a screenie of their first innings:

I batted well, obtained a lead of 150 after my first innings and asked them to bat a second time with 3 and a half sessions to go. Thought I'd be able to get them easily with the wicket getting worse to bat on and conditions remaining cloudy. I again stuck to a line and length opposite to the batsmans' preferences (trying to preferably bowl on middle and keeping it on a good length or short with the bounce being unpredictable). However, my bowlers were smashed around at around 5 an over and they ended up scoring freely. Here is the second innings:

I wonder what I should have done differently in the second innings. I bowl with 3 aggression bars (reducing it if the batsmen settles down). If I try to attack a batsmen early my bowler usually goes for runs. What should I do?

Last edited:
ICC09? Yep. Bowling any team out in the last innings of a match is always hard. They seem to be able to chase anything. You really need 2 days to bowl them out last in a FC match.

I usually only use 1 bar aggression on bowling in FC matches.

It is quite difficult indeed, also in spiing wickets in the last inning of the match. My advice is to make a lead of over or close to 400, if not, you will lose the match.

Yes its ICC 09. I believe this was a bug that had already been fixed (high scores by opposition in the second innings) so I guess it could be something to do with strategy.

Last edited:
It's this thing with ICC. A low score in the first innings is followed by a higher one in the second. A good bowling spell is followed by a crap one. A 100 followed by a duck or 20 odd. A wicketless innings by a five-fer. Just one of those things you eventually get used to and start using to your advantage.

What I find weird is none of my bowlers can take wickets when it's a deadset bowling wicket. Excellent for spin, Good for bowlers, and stuff like that, and I can barely get a wicket.

What I find weird is none of my bowlers can take wickets when it's a deadset bowling wicket. Excellent for spin, Good for bowlers, and stuff like that, and I can barely get a wicket.
Haha, I'm quite the opposite.

If the pitch is offering lots to the bowler, like a seaming pitch with overcast conditions, I just throw Clark and Johnson the ball and they do the rest.

Hi,
I played my first county championship match with nothamphshire against liecs. A couple of my seamers took 5 fers in both innings on a batsman pitch to hand me victory by an innings and 36 runs !!

I had a similar game recently where the opposition chased down 300+ on a very tough batting pitch. However, mostly, I have no problems bowling out the opposition in FC games (Two county championships with Durham). The key is to attack the new batsmen and keep looking for wickets even when they settle down. If the pitch is helping, I rarely go below 3 aggression bars in bowling and often greet the new one with 5-6 aggression bars (having Onion, Davies & Harmison helps too!)

It is the OD/T20s I can't crack :(

Users who are viewing this thread