Casson trades in Perth for Sydney

G

Gilchrist

From Cricinfo

New South Wales' slow bowling stocks have received another boost with Beau Casson, the left-arm wrist spinner, announcing today he will leave Western Australia. Casson was the Warriors' first-choice ahead of the one-day international Brad Hogg in the Pura Cup last summer, but he has decided to fight for a spot in Sydney alongside Stuart MacGill, Jason Krejza and Nathan Hauritz, who is also chasing greater opportunities.

Tony Dodemaide, the Western Australia chief executive, was disappointed to lose Casson, who took 17 wickets at 54.23 in the Pura Cup in 2005-06. "If Beau wants to go to the next level, he won't do that by bowling in the nets in Sydney," Dodemaide said. "We pulled out all stops to try to convince him to stay. I think he will struggle to get more opportunities ahead of MacGill and Hauritz than he would for WA where he is the No. 1 choice in first-class cricket."

MacGill is the Blues' main spinning weapon while Steve O'Keefe and Krejza filled the support roles last summer. Last week Hauritz opted to move south after being attracted by the state's "spin bowling culture".

? Cricinfo

Thats awesome. First Hauritz, and now Casson, this is great.

Last edited by a moderator:
Traitor!!! :eek:

no it was the domestic comp's worst kept secret. i had time to prepare myself for the disappointment of losing Beau. :(

In fact i actually think it was a good move...for him.

Hauritz lol we've got better. I hope Casson gets more than one game. Maybe play 2 spinners for the games as Casson is a handy batter.

Silence GK, we've got him now :p
Nah, it was an intelligent move, there's a much better spin-bowling environment over here, and Perth is obviously renowned for it's constantly characteristic, pace conducive wickets so his future there is limited. MacGill was born and bred in WA, (:() and look at what he's achieved through taking the opportunity to experience more in an environment that suits him.
With this new signing confirmed, Hauritz's road back has become much tougher.

Last edited:
I never knew MacGill was a WA bloke. Guess we gave them Gilly so if they claim him we claim MacGill :p

Definitely agree, Casson will go much better in Sydney. His figures this season certainly didn't reflect his class. The A team shows how far hes dropped back even behind the rookie Bailey.

LOL

yeh thats right boyz Magilla is a Perth-boy...read it n weep hahaha.

Hauritz is crap imo...Casson is way better.

Just like Gilly is a NSW boy... read it n weep :D

Hauritz was alright to start of with even looked like he could be a all rounder but lately he has gone down hill. Casson will improve majorly over at Sydney, look where MacGill is now :)

Well look at how Katich's part time wrist spinners improved when he made the switch from WA to NSW. Hauritz will need to put in some top performances at club cricket to even look like getting a chance. Krejza and O'Keefe are ahead of him and Casson will be too.

Look. Stop picking on Hauritz, look at Casson's figures, about 20 wickets at 50 in the First Class Game.

As someone who knows very little about Aussie state cricket I was wondering if anyone could educate me? Is it not to the detriment of Aussie cricket if all the spin bowlers end up at the same club?

puddleduck said:
As someone who knows very little about Aussie state cricket I was wondering if anyone could educate me? Is it not to the detriment of Aussie cricket if all the spin bowlers end up at the same club?

Well, that's not really happening anyway, but certain practicioners of spin at the moment are looking for openings, better opportunities and a more conducive slow-bowling culture in order to gain recognition and give themselves the best possible claim, as we all know the frontline role will soon be vacant post-Warne. NSW offers that assistance to a further extent than any other state over here, therefore, if they can take advantage of that experience, it can only benefit Australian cricket. There are a number of talents in other states, anyway.

Gilchrist said:
Look. Stop picking on Hauritz, look at Casson's figures, about 20 wickets at 50 in the First Class Game.

Nobody was actually picking on Hauritz; they were simply pointing out the blatant truth about how the doors are slowly closing. Obviously, that's not to say he won't overcome those barriers and enjoy success at the top level once again, but it is getting tougher.

Hauritz couldn't even crack the Queensland starting 11. For a guy rated so highly you would think he would at least crack the starting 11 for FC. Instead rookies in Le Loux and Doran have taken over. Anyway at least those two guys will be able to develop their games.

James219 said:
Well, that's not really happening anyway, but certain practicioners of spin at the moment are looking for openings, better opportunities and a more conducive slow-bowling culture in order to gain recognition and give themselves the best possible claim, as we all know the frontline role will soon be vacant post-Warne. NSW offers that assistance to a further extent than any other state over here, therefore, if they can take advantage of that experience, it can only benefit Australian cricket. There are a number of talents in other states, anyway.

Dan Cullen will replace Warne when he retires & also I think MacGill will proberly retire at the end of this Domestic season or early next year which means if Australia wanna play two spinners they can play Cullen Bailey who i think after MacGill is the best Leg Spinner in the country.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread