Claims of corrupt play raised in Pakistan media

Howsie

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Claims of corrupt play raised in Pakistan mediaCricket - News - Yahoo!Xtra Sport

But the International Cricket Council's (ICC) anti-corruption unit will be having a good look at the match, according to the Ahmedabad Mirror, though it noted "it would be jumping the gun at this stage to suggest a hanky panky semifinal".

"The officials are guarded in their reactions at this stage, but indeed, the tapes of the Pakistan-New Zealand semifinal match are on their way to the anti-corruption unit," the newspaper reported.

Please, Younis Khan is one of the proudest Pakistani cricketer's I've ever seen. Cricketers are people to, they can make mistakes.

P

pcfan123

Is this regarding the dropped catch? I really hope there was no hanky panky, I have a lot of respect for Younus Khan.

Ari

International Cricketer
Why is it when Pakistan win or lose a big match the word corruption starts getting thrown around.

Sartaj

Panel of Selectors
These things are common in India (media) but Pakistan too? :eek:

bcvstheworld added 2 Minutes and 33 Seconds later...

Its a simple case of trying to do what you are not used to.
This is not the first time a sub-continent player has made a mess of a simple catch by trying to catch it the Aussie way (fingers pointing upwards)
I remember Irfan Pathan dropping a simple catch doing the same in SL a couple of months ago.

Chetan0304

Chairman of Selectors
Dropped catch cost us match :Younus

This happen in India in every single big match. :facepalm

The top ordered failed miserably but still U Akmal helped Pak to recover to a decent total.
even run-outs were missed.

Still i praise him , played with a injured finger.

Sartaj

Panel of Selectors
I don't praise him one bit.
If he's not 100% fit,he shouldn't be playing!
That's ridiculous to see such an experienced player making such a pathetic mistake.
They had good players like Misbah for replacement.
So,no point in playing when you are injured.

King Cricket

International Coach
Yea it's about the dropped catch.

They do realize that Younis Khan is a human being and has feelings of pain just like all other humans. For Gods sake man, that guy played with a fractured finger! They do realize how much pain he endured during the matches. Fielding and moreover playing with a broken finger is no child's play. You guys should read this.

The Telegraph - Calcutta (Kolkata) | Sports | Was trying to save finger: Younis

Actually it was very crucial. It was a simple one but I just dropped it. Maybe after that catch, things would’ve changed. It’s the broken finger more than anything. I was trying to save the finger.

The media guys are experts in making a mountain out of a molehill. :sarcasm

Sartaj

Panel of Selectors
They do realize that Younis Khan is a human being and has feelings of pain just like all other humans. For Gods sake man, that guy played with a fractured finger! They do realize how much pain he endured during the matches. Fielding and moreover playing with a broken finger is no child's play.

Why the hell did he have to play with a broken finger and risk his team's chances when he had someone like Misbah sitting on the bench?

King Cricket

International Coach
Why the hell did he have to play with a broken finger and risk his team's chances when he had someone like Misbah sitting on the bench?

Maybe he thought that it would have been risky to hand over the captaincy to someone else in such a high profile match? Maybe anything! Seriously, why are these questions coming up now? Why didn't they come up in the India match? Why not in the Australia match? Why didn't nobody question Younis Khan's playing then? Why didn't nobody think that he is risking his team's chances then? Suddenly, out of nowhere allegations of corrupt play have been brought against him. What is this? Younis Khan is not the only reason why Pakistan lost. They batsmen put up a poor show, they failed to utilize the powerplays,....there are so many mistakes they committed! Then, why has everybody started pointing their fingers at YK for just one dropped catch? Isn't this absurd?

Last edited:

Sartaj

Panel of Selectors
Absolutely.
All these allegations are baseless.
I was just saying that when he knew that he wasn't fit,he shouldn't have played.
Having said that,only YK knew how bad the injury was and perhaps it wasn't as serious as we all thought it was.
Pakistan,no doubt played fair cricket and unfortunately weren't up to the mark in the semi-final.

D0N

Club Cricketer
I think umpires has made few wrong decisions Like Umer Akmal wicket umpires didn't repond to LBW's appeals and even don't give Wide bowls and No bowls :mad:

Ahad

Chairman of Selectors
Profile Flag
Pakistan
Geo Super said:
JOHANNESBURG: Umpires Simon Taufel (Australia) and Ian Gould (England) said ?sorry to Umar Akmal? after their sub-standard and biased umpiring in the Champions Trophy semifinal lead to Pakistan?s unexpected defeat against New Zealand on Saturday.

A source in the International Cricket Council (ICC) confirmed to ?The News? that heated arguments were exchanged between Pakistan coach Inrtikhab Alam and the umpires during a hearing conducted after the semifinal at Wanderers. Match referee Javagal Srinath called up Umar and Intikhab for a hearing after the match, over what umpires blamed the batsman for showing dissent over the lbw decision. Taufel ruled Umar lbw at a time when he had played the ball on to his pads. Umar?s fall at a crucial stage robbed Pakistan of a chance to post a big total.

The Pakistan camp defended Umar and was very critical of the umpiring standard during the match. Srinath repeated the slides in front of field umpires and later conducted a separate hearing with the umpires.

According to the sources, the match referee later cleared Umar of showing any dissent and conveyed that the umpire who had made the decision said ?sorry? to Umar for the wrong judgment.

That was not the only biased decision by the umpires who faltered on no less than four occasions to help New Zealand make it to the final. Grant Elliott, who went on to play a match-winning knock was let off twice during his stay at the wicket. Shahid Afridi almost got him when he was new at the crease. Rana Naveed had him plumb on a full toss when again he was ruled not out. Even Daniel Vettori got a lucky break off Saeed Ajmal.

The worst of all that the two field umpires were so strict on Pakistan bowlers that they ruled most of short pitched deliveries as wide ball and at the same time extended full luxury to New Zealand bowlers to hurl such deliveries.

I was about to start a topic regarding 2nd semi-final. Now it is better to discuss in this thread...

Fatal Shot

Club Cricketer
Younus is one of the most dedicated players for Pakistan in recent times. I highly doubt that he would do this. Sometimes these things happen. His mind must have been somewhere else during that moment, and he was probably not focused. Happens to all of us. Should he have caught it? Yes, but it seemed like a legitimate drop. Keep going on Younus. You are a great character, and are making Pakistan a feared side again.

Users who are viewing this thread