Panel of Selectors
PAK...
RCB...
LQ
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Avengers
Profile Flag
Pakistan
Coronavirus's outbreak is impacting cricket badly. The following have been impacted by coronavirus:
  • Australia vs New Zealand series is being played with no crowd
  • IPL has been postponed to 15th April
  • PSL is being played behind closed doors and many foreign players are flying back
  • England's tour of Sri Lanka has been postponed
  • Everest Premier League has been cancelled
  • Somerset's preseason tour of Abu Dhabi has been cancelled
  • India v South Africa ODI series - no spectators
  • Malta v Czech Republic T20 series - postponed
  • ICC Men's Cricket World Cup Challenge League A (March 16-26) - postponed
  • Lancashire's pre-season tour to South Africa and Dubai - cancelled
  • Surrey's pre-season tour to Dubai - cancelled
  • Worcestershire's pre-season tour to Abu Dhabi - cancelled
  • Asia XI vs World XI T20s in Bangladesh - postponed
  • ACA T20 Africa Cup Kenya 2020 - postponed indefinitely
  • Thailand women's quadrangular ODI series with Ireland, Netherlands and Zimbabwe - cancelled
  • Australia Women tour to South Africa - postponed
  • European Cricket Series, Spain - postponed

Last edited:

AsadRM

Panel of Selectors
PAK...
RCB...
LQ
Avengers
Profile Flag
Pakistan
By no means this thread is made to show that cricket is more important than human lives. This is just to scale how much cricket is suffering due to it.

What do you guys think has to be done about the upcoming series which are being played behind closed doors, should they keep playing with no crowd or should they postpone the series/tournaments?

Bevab

Staff Member
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
By no means this thread is made to show that cricket is more important than human lives. This is just to scale how much cricket is suffering due to it.

What do you guys think has to be done about the upcoming series which are being played behind closed doors, should they keep playing with no crowd or should they postpone the series/tournaments?

We have already seen football players being infected with the virus. Unless cricketers are in absolute isolation (like the astronauts before space travel) between games with the stadiums, equipments heavily disinfected periodically, there is no way to avoid the risk of more infected cases.

D

Dutch

At the moment it is all about slowing infection so as not to overwhelm facilities. At the end of all this 70 percent or more of the world population will have had the virus in some form or other and two to three percent of those will need intensive medical care.

For example there are 17 million people in the Netherlands: if say 12 million people are infected and three percent need IC thats up to 350000 patients whereas the absolute maximum IC beds available for all medical needs is 12000!

you get why people are doing their utmost to slow infection

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
This virus is resetting a lot of things in the world at the moment - the importance of family and caring about loved ones, the importance of proper breaks and not just run behind the insatiable lust for money, the importance of hygiene (third world countries will now fast track themselves into ramping up their hygiene habits), the importance of eating proper food that keeps your body in balance and keeps healthy immunity levels to ward off viruses, and the most important of all..... THE IMPORTANCE OF HUMAN LIFE!

D

Dutch

This virus is resetting a lot of things in the world at the moment - the importance of family and caring about loved ones, the importance of proper breaks and not just run behind the insatiable lust for money, the importance of hygiene (third world countries will now fast track themselves into ramping up their hygiene habits), the importance of eating proper food that keeps your body in balance and keeps healthy immunity levels to ward off viruses, and the most important of all..... THE IMPORTANCE OF HUMAN LIFE!
I do hope your reaction which every one I am sure wholeheartedly agrees with is not a direct reaction to something said in this thread. The OP makes clear his intentions in that regard.

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
I'll admit i initially thought it was overblown, and I had a couple of crucial work things postponed/cancelled and I was like "bloody hell, what an overreaction"...

but when Matt Ridley is scared, I'm scared too.

Who the hell knows what's going to happen!

D

Dutch

The seriousness of the situation must not be underestimated both in terms of how we discuss things here as to the precautions we need to take in our personal lives.

A trustworthy US report is estimating something in the region of 450000 deaths in the US alone even with all the precautions people are taking.

If you have not yet awoken to the seriousness: do so!

D

Dutch

I go the numbers wrong: there are not 12000 IC beds but 1200! How many in your country?

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
I do hope your reaction which every one I am sure wholeheartedly agrees with is not a direct reaction to something said in this thread. The OP makes clear his intentions in that regard.

Yes, my post (that you quoted) is not a summary of facts of how the virus is affecting the cricketing world or world population in general. Its just a post that summarized my thoughts of how the virus is potentially bringing certain things to the limelight (my second point of 'the importance of breaks and not running behind the insatiable lust for money' was primarily aimed at the cricketing world)

If my post is deemed off topic, please feel free to delete!

D

Dutch

Yes, my post (that you quoted) is not a summary of facts of how the virus is affecting the cricketing world or world population in general. Its just a post that summarized my thoughts of how the virus is potentially bringing certain things to the limelight (my second point of 'the importance of breaks and not running behind the insatiable lust for money' was primarily aimed at the cricketing world)
If my post is deemed off topic, please feel free to delete!
No it is very valid and makes some good points. I realise that the thread has gone beyond the bounds of cricket but that is inevitable given the situation.

Users who are viewing this thread