Cricketers who surprised you

War

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Basically list & describe the cricketers since you have been watching cricket that surprised you by their careers performances, in which they either exceeded your expectations or shocked you by their struggles/failures.

Abur Razzaq, Azhar Mahmood & Shaid Afridi:

I'm going to group these three together, because essentially their struggles to live up to their earlier performances is pretty similar.

I saw all three of them in their formative years & i thought Pakistan had found 3 gems of all-rounders. I recall Mahmood's batting efforts in South Africa 97/98 & Razzaq in the 99 cricket-world cup. But as the 2000s era came they slowly fell away - Mahmood much faster of course.

Razzaq of course still was very useful with the bat in ODIs for a long while, but his bowling became average & never became that quality test all-rounder i really thought he would be.

Afridi has the talent have become one the greatest spin-bowling all-rounders alongside richie benaud, aubrey faulkner, vinoo mankad, wilfred rhodes - but damn his over-aggressive batting instinct just messed him up.

Craig White

Before Flintoff fully became the adequate all-rounder since botham that england fans were seeking for 20 years, Craig White was the next best thing amongst the plethora of joke country all-rounders that were tried and failed in tests.

His career peak was a big surprise to me. See him bowling 90 mph reverse swing in the famous 2000 series win vs windies (first time in 31 years @ the time); and then his heroic all-round efforts during england's famous wins in pakistan in sri lanka that winter came totally out of the blue.

Mike Kasprowicz

His two year success with the australia team circa 2004-2006 surprised me. I recall seeing him in the 90s & always found him average. Then when he was strangely picked for the 2001 test tour to india as brett lee's replacement instead of Andy Bichel, then struggled in the famous 2001 kolkotta test i had hope he would never be picked again.

Then circa 2004 he was picked again & i wasn't convinced even though he was bowling well in domestic cricket. But he surprised me & forced a superb bowling quarter alongside McGrath/Dizzy/Warne for about a year, which i would say was the strongest aus 4-man attack during the 95-2006/07 glory days.

Nantie Hayward

Thought he was the immediate successor to Allan Donald when i first saw him in during the england tour to s africa in 99/00. He had everything really - the right height & was very quick. Similar attributes to Morne Morkel. But then he just fell away shockingly.

Andrew Symonds

We all know the story. Ponting fought for his selection in world-cup 2003 based on feeling & he rewarded the faith with that great hundred vs pakistan.

Don't think anyone after seeing Symonds before ever thought highly of him, so his career rise was a big big surprise.

Steve Harmison

After his superb "7 test of 2004" highlight by his 7/12 in kingston vs windies i reckon (and i presume most other england fans too) england had found a world-class bowler for another 5-10 years. But he became a weird frustration after that, until he eventually faded away after 2009.

This is all for now, will list some others later...everyone else can make their list

Great read. I strongly agree about Shahid Afridi, Abdul Razzaq (not even a decent batsmen anymore) and Azhar Mahmood( getting better with experience)

Don't tell me Abdul Razzaq isn't a decent batter anymore. Pakistan have way underutilized his talent, I feel. He is one of the most exciting players and so is Mahmood. Really sad both couldn't keep going for Pakistan.

Simon Jones walked up behind me and made me jump, does that count?

Wasn't Harmlessone just another Devron Malcom?

I echo what User says. Razzaq is still pretty decent but frankly, Pakistan has not used his talent to the fullest. I believe if Razzaq got as much chances as Afridi, his record would be far more better than what it is currently. Mahmood is to this date, still a very good bowler but yet again, perhaps he was too a victim of PCB's politics. Both of these two have undisputably not been given as much chances as Afridi.

I never thought Alastair Cook would turn into the run machine he currently is. When I saw him early in his career he looked like a really limited player, with corresponding limited potential, but he's proved me wrong.

Similar Stuart Clark in Australia. Never thought he'd do much at Test level, and while he was SIGNIFICANTLY helped by batsmen underestimating him once Warne/McGrath had finished their spell, he still did more with the ball than I expected.

I thought Peter Siddle of 2+ years ago was a poor bowler, now he's excellent.

Surprisingly crap:
Shane Lee - that dude could really hit the ball, medium pacers had potential as well, but he couldn't perform consistently. (and the selectors loved Symonds more)
Michael Slater in ODIs
Lou Vincent - he carved Australia up one summer, but didn't do much since. Shame, he looked a great talent.

I'm sure more will come to me...

The Pakistani all-rounders were not shunted aside cause of their poor forms, they were the outcome of a failing cricket board. If not for the internal PCB politics, these 3 would have still been playing regularly for Pakistan and the world would not have had to put up with their insane retirements every now and then.

Rangana Herath Thought that man was just a rookie added to the Srilankan test squad ahead of Ajantha Mendis after Muralitharan's retirement. But, he proved me wrong. After his selection in the test side Srilanka hasn't really missed Muralitharan that much. Must be because he's been Srilanka's best test bowler ever since Muralitharan retired and has taken the most number of wickets and 5fers after Muraliatharan, his talent is something to cheer about for Srilanka.

Saeed Ajmal. When he started playing for Pakistan, he was already over 30 and I thought, if this guy was good enough, he would have been blooded into the team much earlier. Three years later, he is the one of the best bowlers in world cricket.

Gavin Hamilton.

I was very surprised that someone picked to play international cricket could actually get the yips!

----------

Also Graham Hick. I was surprised/disappointed when he came to play against my old London club in a charity game, and whilst we eagerly awaited the chance to watch one of the finest county players of his lifetime smash a hundred right through our pavillion windows, we instead watched him chip Goldie Sayers straight to midwicket for a single figure score.

I'm sure more will come to me...

Obviously Paul Adams, not sure if he's been mentioned yet, but to see his action first time, you wouldn't necessarily expect that he'd then rip through the English batting lineup. Unless of course you were an England fan at the time, in which case you would have been more surprised if he hadn't.

I never thought Alastair Cook would turn into the run machine he currently is. When I saw him early in his career he looked like a really limited player, with corresponding limited potential, but he's proved me wrong.

Similar Stuart Clark in Australia. Never thought he'd do much at Test level, and while he was SIGNIFICANTLY helped by batsmen underestimating him once Warne/McGrath had finished their spell, he still did more with the ball than I expected.

Michael Slater in ODIs

Yea good choices here, i was surprised by these 3 in massive way as well.

Saeed Ajmal. When he started playing for Pakistan, he was already over 30 and I thought, if this guy was good enough, he would have been blooded into the team much earlier. Three years later, he is the one of the best bowlers in world cricket.

Ye fair choice i guess. I would say Saqlain Mushtaq's decline after 2003 was pretty stunning too.

After that blasting he got vs Sehwag in the 2004 multan test, he just faded away & he only 28 at the time. Which was a great shame since every knows what a superb bowler he was before then.

Users who are viewing this thread