cricketing mythbusters

StinkyBoHoon

National Board President
sort of a different take on the under-rated/over-rated debate except rather than cricketers more specific ideas about players and aspects of the game. I think some of this has already been touched on in these and various other threads but it might be nice to more specifically discuss them.

I'll start with a few.

- "Garner bowled the ball from a height of at least 10 feet" this is a direct quote from a cricketing article, this one is from the guardian but paraphrasals can be found all over the media. This is quite blatantly utter rubbish. Yes joel garner was massive, but as we've all seen in countless no ball deliveries bowlers are not suspended in the air at the point of delivery, in fact they are usually bent over with their leg extended in front of them. even standing upright, with his arm fully extended the normal physiology of a person has a persons elbow usually going up to their head, this would put joel garners forearm at about 3 feet 4 inches, almost half the length of his body. so unless joel garner bowled from a stationary position and had to drag his knuckles across the ground when he walked, there is no way the ball was coming from 10 feet. you can easily knock 2 feet off this.

- "indians can't play the moving ball" this comes from, I think, a misunderstanding of two factors. one, there is the idea that indians in particular are poor at playing the moving ball, generally implying non sub-continental batsmen can. in actual fact the ball swings less in australia and west indian grounds than in india (where reverse is easier to come by and they don't use kookaburras) and certainly in sri lanka and pakistan. Of course, plenty of wickets can be found of indians falling to swinging balls, this is because NO ONE can play the moving ball easily. I have seen jacob oram cause english batsmen nightmares when he found a bit of nip off the seam, and green wickets in most grounds usually mean wickets are going to tumble (see australia against pakistan, that dubious test for example, and in england 6 months later, and lots of matches played in england.) the typical technical weakness indian and sub-continental batsmen have is bounce, they like playing on the front foot using the wrists. among indian batsmen only the absolute best have decent hook shots and pulls, whereas england and australia, in players like cook, vaughan, ponting, have produced some of the best in the business.

- Dravid is not under-rated. He is perhaps slightly under-appreciated by indian fans that are sweating about losing 3 aging stalwarts of their line up in one go and are looking for someone not called tendulkar to move on, but most people would put him in the best 5 or 6 batsmen of the era yet his name always comes up when talking of batsmen not getting their due. I said this in the under-rated thread but unless someone wants to say "Dravid is a better batsman than tendulkar" I don't think he's getting under-rated, he just happens to be the only really great batsman that has to share a line up with a better one.

ok, that should probably piss some people off. ;) anyone else got anything?

Last edited:

AngryPixel

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
You pissed off Shravi for sure:p

puddleduck

Chairman of Selectors
Excellent idea for a thread. When I haven't had a bottle of wine I'll contribute something :)

shravi

National Board President
Profile Flag
India
Haha, nah, I agree with him for the most part, Angry. As an Indian, I can see that he's under-appreciated by Indians in that he's seen as a test player only when he was actually a more than formidable limited overs batsman. Sachin has had a more successful career because he is a better ODI player and I don't think there's any shame in coming second to him in ODIs because almost everybody does. However where I disagree with Stinky is, in tests, I don't think there's anything separating him from Kallis, Ponting and Dravid.

Last edited:

ZoraxDoom

Respected Legend
KP can't play left arm spinners ;)
But that's true.

Even on Cricket Coach. KP comes on strike, I bring on a left-arm spinner. Almost always works :D

I like the myth that sub-continental quicks should get more credit for bowling on flat, batsmen friendly pitches. They shouldn't, since most of them actually perform better at home than away. They thrive off reverse swing and getting wickets by building pressure; they've honed their games to suit their conditions, so can't adapt as quickly to more bowler-friendly pitches.

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
Well since you and I are agreeing on a few things lately stinky - i like this thread :D I was actually thinking a couple of years ago when I was watching way too much cricket that I might capture all the idiotic traditions of cricket that commentators continually mention and 'test' them properly to see if they're true or are really just jargon as much as fact. Never got around to doing that, but this thread might be a good place to throw some unorthodox theories out there.

Anyway, one thing I was thinking of today was reading Ian Chappell's article about how Sehwag was the most likely player to make a captain lose sleep, but I'm not sure I agree. He's certainly going to punish you a lot if he gets going, but if I'm captaining against him I think I'd just shrug my shoulders and say 'well it was his day'. The other thing about Sehwag is that he always seems to give you a chance - he likes hitting in the air so all it takes it is a misjudgement or correctly placed fielder and you've got a relatively lucky wicket. So set your field, follow your plans for the first 30-40 balls of his innings and if he gets through and carves the attack, well so be it.

To me a nightmare to captain against would be a grinder like a Dean Brownlie, Paul Collingwood, Simon Katich, Jonathon Trott type player - guys who don't look fluent all the time, and seem like the kind of guys that you should be able to get out. And yet if they get in they are great field manipulators, working the ball into any holes you've left. To me that's more frustrating as a captain that watching another otherworldly shot from a Sehwag or Gayle or Lara type player. The grinder type guys would be more frustrating to captain against to me. Of course after the fact a big Sehwag 200 might make me cry myself to sleep, but if I knew he was batting the next day I'm not sure I'd be overly worried.

And there was one other theory I was going to put out there, but now i can't remember :facepalm oh well, another time...

puddleduck

Chairman of Selectors
I like the myth that sub-continental quicks should get more credit for bowling on flat, batsmen friendly pitches. They shouldn't, since most of them actually perform better at home than away. They thrive off reverse swing and getting wickets by building pressure; they've honed their games to suit their conditions, so can't adapt as quickly to more bowler-friendly pitches.

Excellent point. Would you say the same applies to spinners from places like England and Australia? They often do better at home (or on their usual home surfaces anyway) due to the fact that they have learnt to make more use of pitches with extra bounce and pace. Obviously, a pitch with no grip in it, and without much bounce is no use to anyone, but when there is some quick bounce they often don't need exagerrated turn off the pitch.

sami ullah khan

Panel of Selectors
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
Okay this is a myth that was created and busted here at PC about three years back alongwith the notorious myth maker.
If Sachin had concentrate on his bowling he would have outdone Shane Warne.:eek:

puddleduck

Chairman of Selectors
Oh yeah a massive myth is that India's lack of fast bowlers is some kind of genetic thing. I'm no 1850's colonial invader though, so I don't look at an entire nation of a billion people as being any different to any other nation.

Papa_Smurf

International Cricketer
Who said it was genetics? They share the same gene pool as Imran, Wasim, Waqar, Akhtar, Asif, Aamir etc.

More than culture, if anything. All want to be the next Tendulkar.

StinkyBoHoon

National Board President
yeah, I would go along with that. it's often said that in india the average 12 year old wants to be sachin whereas in pakistan the average 12 year old wants to be imran/akram.

there must be something wrong with indian coaching methods though. Ishant, Sreesanth, RP singh, Irfan... these would not have been terrible young players in any team, they would be regarded as good prospects. there was a thread "Ishant v Broad" here, I might have made it actually, and I think most people pretty unanimously agreed, even the english fans, that ishant was significantly better than broad. so how broad gets better and ishant gets worse I don't understand.

shravi

National Board President
Profile Flag
India
I also wonder how many of our fast bowlers have been vegetarians. Quite a few, I'd imagine.

Users who are viewing this thread