Dean Johnes Method (reskilling players)

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
PlanetCricket Award Winner
So I worked on something a while back that is an attempt to find a way of giving players in the game a set of skill ratings based on a level playing field. I don't know if this will work but I'm looking for volunteers for giving this a proper go.

I've got a Google spreadsheet that I can share with willing volunteers and all you have to do is rate players for batting and bowling in First Class and List A cricket. This gives a points value to the player which then converts into skills. They are generally spread because I'm yet to really see that individual attributes have a great impact (if you think I'm wrong please give me some compelling evidence). As well as opinions of those involved it factors in the real life stats of the players.

In addition technical skills it factors in batting mentality (based on strike rates), strength (based on mentality). I set all bowlers to Balanced. Fielding stats are generally balanced to give some strengths and weaknesses but they are more random than anything. Although I do try to get players to field in realistic positions. If you feel strongly about a fielding position or that a certain skill should be set higher you can add a note into the spreadsheet.

If I can get even a handful of people to assist I can share the teams and people can see how they go and then maybe I'll do more.

The spreadsheet is initially for test playing nations - that can be narrowed down to a smaller number if people feel that 12 teams is too many at this stage.

If you want in just reply expressing and interest and I'll private message you a link or attachment with a bit more information.

Any questions feel free to post too.

The levels for batting and bowling are as follows:

Star
Very Good
Good
Average
Lower Order
Tailender
Number 11

and

Star
Very Good
Good
Average
Part Time
Occasional
Hopeless

Teams shared (January 31st)

Afghanistan (27 players)
Australia (35 players)
Bangladesh (35 players)
England (34 players)
India (35 players)
Ireland (24 players)
Nepal (21 players)
Netherlands (24 players)
New Zealand (33 players)
Pakistan (35 players)
Scotland (23 players)
South Africa (35 players)
Sri Lanka (35 players)
United Arab Emirates (22 players)
West Indies (35 players)
Zimbabwe (32 players)

Australia A (13 players)
England Lions (17 players)
India A (16 players)
West Indies A (16 players)

Last edited:

TekkogsSteve

County Cricketer
Profile Flag
Scotland
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
This is awesome and I’d love to take part. Was considering developing my own one based on stats, it would be interesting to see how they compare

D

Dutch

So if I have this right you want one of the categories Star to Number 11/Hopeless cross referenced to each name based on both international and domestic achievement?

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
So if I have this right you want one of the categories Star to Number 11/Hopeless cross referenced to each name based on both international and domestic achievement?
In a nutshell, yes. It's primarily based on First Class/List A so that non-internationals can be incorporated, but quality international players will generally rate higher. If you want to let me know if you manage to get through one I can have a look and see if you're on the right track.

TekkogsSteve

County Cricketer
Profile Flag
Scotland
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
sorry for the stupid question, but do you want us to download it, fill it in and then reshare it with you as opposed to directly editing the file you shared?

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
@wasteyouryouth How's been the progress? What about the new domestic sides? Are you planning to do them.
Gonna start doing some reskilling and share some of the international teams. They'll be on a different ID to my usual one so if people don't like them they can redownload other versions

Master Bates

School Cricketer
India
ENG....
DD.....
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
Gonna start doing some reskilling and share some of the international teams. They'll be on a different ID to my usual one so if people don't like them they can redownload other versions
What about domestic teams?

D

Dutch

Sorry I haven't spent more time on this...….real life has swamped me the last couple of weeks.

Users who are viewing this thread