Dean Jones sacked after 'terrorist' remark

trust me i had lots of respect for Dean Jones, just lost it.

irottev said:
He deserved it, it is the kind of thing you should keep in your mind.

It shouldn't be in the mind anyway. To think that someone is a terrorist because of his appearance is absolutely ridiculous. He is a great commentator and has done very well for ten sports, this jibe has probably ended his commentating career but I hope in a few years time he can regain a contract because he does have a great cricketing brain and is one of the best going around.

Didn't he use to work with the PCB?

Disgraceful, not something I expected from him.

I'm not sure if he was affiliated with the PCB, but he has certainly spent a lot of time in Asia, with regards to cricket. He was contracted by Ten Sports who are based in the UAE.

Woah that is something ridiculous to say especially not then when you are holding the commentary mic in your hand. This is some sick joke if it was supposed to be one from Jones, well he has got what he deserved......

S2sschan said:
Yeah! Rameez and Sanjay Manjrekar are bores indeed. Unfortunately, they are among the few ex-cricketers in India and Pakistan who have a decent English vocabulary.

How do you figure that out ? Ravi Shastri and Gavaskar are two of the best commentators currently.

What no-one seems to have picked up on is that referring to Amla as 'The Terrorist' in the commentary box is obviously commonplace. The other people in the box must have known whom he was referring to with that remark and I'll bet they heard it from Jones many times before.

I would suggest his colleagues are guilty of not stopping him making a fool of himself by telling him that kind of thing was unacceptable as soon as they heard it the first time. That way he would have known better before it was too late.

You raise an interesting point. But these days calling a devout muslim a terrorist seems to happen everywhere not just in commentary boxes...sadly we cannot discuss this on planetcricket.

You screwed up Dean Jones

Manee

I couldn't believe it when I read it on Cricinfo! Wanted to post it here, then found this :p
How could you Deano!! He was my favourite commentator :crying
Holding is fine, but the rest are soooooo boring!!!!! :(

He does make good jokes, and c'mon, he doesn't mean it. I make small jokes as this with my friends (Who, by the way, are Muslims, Hindus, Christians, etc.). I'm sure it was an inside joke with the rest of the crew, as BF said. He doesn't mean it. Infact, if he really though this way, he wouldn't be comfortable making jokes like that (Have you seen on TV, people who are overly conscious or Racism and have strong feelings often struggle around those types and try to be very careful). It is just taken out of context. it is the same as when they poke fun at Inzi's running! Calling him fat could be considered sizest, but they aren't really feeling that way! He usually apologises right after the joke, and says stuff like, "Nah, seriously, he is a good runner when he wants too, and is an a legendary batsman". Can't believe he is really racist!

Last edited:
I don't go with racist jokes, even if it's a Muslim insults a non-Muslim or whatever. If you think having 'long beard' is 'terrorism' why don't you keep 'the joke' yourself. No Place For that.

Having a long beard is not terrorism in any way and everyone knows that. But it has become the stereotype and as much of a grim statement it is, I think we will have to live with it.

I'm sikh and the number of times im looked at as a terrorist is amazing.

RoboRocks said:
Yeah, Ignore them manee, I can't stand people who think that.
We are all human beings.

I agree. I would ignore them. I too hate idiots like that, it shows their lack of intelligence and understanding.

Users who are viewing this thread