Dhoni Vs KP ; ODIs

Who is the better ODI player?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is not the first time I am crying for poor comparisons. I generally stay away from the thread which doesn't make sense, but this is ridiculous. There must be at lease one single similar plot to compare two players, like same batting position, same role in their respective teams ect.

Anyway as I am already involved KP is more stylish and talented batsman.

You are right. This is kinda silly thread. Comparing a finisher with a top-order batsman just doesn't make any sense.

What is wrong?

Their roles may or may not be differnt. In the end performances matter. If you don't have an idea, leave the thread quitely. Or better vote for Precambrian.

Lol, whats wrong is that one is a lower order batsman/wicketkeeper and the other is a number 4 batsmen.

You'd be better with a comparison with two wicketkeepers who can bat like Sangakarra and Dhoni or two batsmen like Pietersen and say Chanderpaul who play similar roles for their teams.

Not at all. I didnt ask Who is the better batsman. Read the title of the poll. Who is the better player, So it includes everything, and the total value added to the team.

Dhoni easily.

Well obviously, Dhoni's a keeper and a better captain, but that's not exactly a fair comparison is it. You could say who's the better player MS Dhoni or Shane Warne, well Warne got a few wickets, but Dhoni scored runs in ODi's, captained the side and kept wicket, therefore he offers more value to the team. It's a ludicrous method of comparing players. The only thing you can compare the 2 guys in is batting, you could claim captaincy, but KP didn't really have a long enough spell to prove anything. He did win a Test against South Africa and then hammer them 4-0 in an ODi series though, so it wasn't a complete disaster. Dhoni's Test as captain will come outside the Subcontinent, where India don't have a great record, he's still well and truely in a honeymoon period, we'll see how he copes when India lose a few games.

If it's batting alone, KP is far ahead.

I read the title of the poll and stick by my decision that KP is probably better, he's a better batsmen that Dhoni, has scored more centuries, is a very good fielder and can bowl a bit if required compared to Dhoni who isn't a bad batsmen by a mile but KP is better is a good wicketkeeper and so far has done decent in the capacity of captain.

Regardless of that its still a silly thing to compare people who do completely different jobs for a team as its hard to say that Pietersen better batting outweighs Dhoni's wicketkeeper so on and so forth therefore its best to stick to people who do a similar job so that its alot simpler to say who's better.

Their roles may or may not be differnt. In the end performances matter.

So according to that M Bevan >> any batsman!
It doesn't make any sense at last, if you compare Bevan with any of the opening or middle order batsman. He wins against them all in the matter of average.

No, we need to analyse it from different perspectives. And what is wrong in glorifying Bevan? Has any other batsman managed to average in the 50s so consistently over a long career?? Hussey had a good year or two but is on the downward spiral.

No, we need to analyse it from different perspectives. And what is wrong in glorifying Bevan?

Nothing wrong to glorify the achievements of M Bevan. But at the same time it is bias to use his average to compare him with any of the top order batsman which was my point.

Why not?

Top order batsmen have a good chance of scoring hundreds to boost their averages.
Lower order batsmen have chance of more not outs.
Pretty well evens out imho.

And here's Dhoni's position wise batting info

jt32ps.jpg

He has done pretty well everywhere, including in the top order.

And here's Pietersen's

30j7o5l.jpg

Did an exceptional job at No.5. Has not been upto the mark at No.4.

Why can't we make a comparison on the basis of those stats?
Given a choice, I'd surely go for Dhoni, as he has proved pretty well at the top as well as middle order.

An average of 40 after 53 innings in ODIS is not up to the mark?

o_O

So what you're doing is asking who's the better player overall because you know KP's a better batsmen. What a faggy thing to do. WHy don't I start a thread saying who's better, Zaheer Khan or Freddie. Makes about as much sense.

We need not worry about these `A` vs `B` threads as it makes little sense.Its the team`s performance which matters and India are doing well at the moment which is what we must be concerned with than Dhoni being better than KP or the other way round.

We need not worry about these `A` vs `B` threads as it makes little sense.Its the team`s performance which matters and India are doing well at the moment which is what we must be concerned with than Dhoni being better than KP or the other way round.
DWTA. Cricket is about individuals as is about the team. Statistics are there for a reason, and without individual comparison, Cricket would cease to be it.

Precambrian added 4 Minutes and 4 Seconds later...

So what you're doing is asking who's the better player overall because you know KP's a better batsmen. What a faggy thing to do. WHy don't I start a thread saying who's better, Zaheer Khan or Freddie. Makes about as much sense.
No, KP is a better batsman in Tests. He is not imho in ODIs than Dhoni.

All the stats are in Pietersen's favour. His overall average is higher, his average against proper teams is better, his average with not outs taken off is higher, he's scored more hundreds in less games, Pietersen's record is better after 50 games a piece. The only thing Dhoni has on Pietersen is strike rate. Pietersen is far better.

From my original reply to this thread. Pietersen is better in ODi's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread