Different batting shots

howzat!

School Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
Hi people,

I was wondering about all the different shots that can be played and realised I have a rather limited repertoir of shots I tend to play comfortably.
For example, even if there are no slips, I don't ever really play up+left and S (right hander) on the keyboard because mostly I miss the ball but I am interested to hear if any of you actually use the full range of shots depending on how the ball is pitched or if you too only play maybe 5 different shots depending on the line and length.

I rarely ever use right+D for example which seems to me to be a valid shot but it freaks me out a bit. The same as a Slow Bowler bowling at full length. Do you come out of your crease or try and play a defensive shot?

:onpc

Last edited:

Sureshot

Executive member
i never come out of my crease to spinners unless it is pitching and going onto legside.

i always put balls away on the stumps to legside. and i play the sweep and hook like a big bunny. im a happy hooker as benaud would call me.

i like to drive too.

Trescothick

Club Cricketer
I'm not good at cutting the ball off front or back foot. It's not the timing, I just always seem to be standing in the wrong place, either too near, or too far from, the ball.

Most of my shots are drives through the covers or running it down to fine leg, with the odd straight hit or on-drive.

Re: defending full length balls - it depends on the line, sometimes i'll use my feet and try to get it away, sometimes i just defend.

barmyarmy

Retired Administrator
I made this a while ago although it doesn't apply to the AI patched versions.

barmyarmy a long time ago said:
Here is a quick diagram I've whipped up to help you with terminology and shots (for RHB):

Area 1: mid-off
shots: down: button 1 or 2, down and right: button 1
Area 2: covers
shots: down and left: button 1 or 2
Area 3: point
shots: left: button 1 or 2, down and left: button 1 or 2
Area: 4: third man
shots: up and left: button 1 or 2 (+ anything from an edge)
Area 5: fine leg
shots: up and right: button 1 or 2, right: button 1 or 2
Area 6: square leg
shots: right: button 1 or 2
Area 7: mid wicket
shots: right: button 1 or 2? (never done it myself with 2), right and up: button 1 (with slog button)
Area 8: mid-on
shots: down and left: button 1 or 2

This is by no means comprehensive.

Attachments

• areas.jpg
    areas.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 199

nightprowler10

Executive member
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
I like to play all varieties of shots, my favorite being the backfoot square cut and the backfoot leg glance, that's how I score majority of my runs. The powerful on-drive and the power sweep are the best ways to slog in later overs against fast bowlers, but against spinners I tend to leave the crease and hit a power ondrive (never on a full toss though) and if I time it right , its always a six.

Sureshot said:
i hate them yorkers my heart goes in my mouth
On yorkers from all bowlers except spinners, do this: Down arrow+D just before the bowler releases the ball, not only will you save your stumps, you'll score a single as well most of the time. Don't do this against spinners, or else you'll get c&b. Instead of straight drive, do on-drive + D against spinners.

howzat!

School Cricketer
Yes, Yorkers don't really make me happy either but I find it interesting that there seems to be a consensus that most people prefer to play straight or cover drives as they are fairly safe or if its leg side then a leg or hip glance but not so many little flicks to third man is there?

What about coming out of your crease using D? I find that I often completely miss it or I get an edge and the nearest slip rejoices. For example right+D or of course down+left+D are nice enough shots but seem difficult to play.

I like the idea of defending with the feet but I would prefer to capitalise from a spinner bowling at yorker length. If I bowl the CPU a yorker length ball with a spinner, he pastes it away for 4. There must be a way to punish that kind of bowling.

Do any of you use up+S or up+W a lot for defensive shots? I find they work more reliably than down+S or W but you can't ever score any runs.

cpt crash

Club Cricketer
I use the full repotiore of shots except the cover drive because for some reason the game does not allow me play it. Selecting down and left and front foot key simply plays a leave alone shot (one of the 80+ bugs in this game!)

barmyarmy

Retired Administrator
cpt crash said:
I use the full repotiore of shots except the cover drive because for some reason the game does not allow me play it. Selecting down and left and front foot key simply plays a leave alone shot (one of the 80+ bugs in this game!)

Not one I've heard before. Try re-configuring the keys.

Sureshot

Executive member
those controls mean nothing i have it on PS2 tell me the style of shot though.

howzat!

School Cricketer
Sorry, how dumb of me.
I didn't realise we were playing it on different plattforms. :cheers

W=Back Foot Shot
S=Front Foot Shot
D=Erm...Come out of the crease towards the ball Shot

I guess I need to spend some quality time in the crease getting the positioning and timing right for those D shots. If only the commentator in the nets wasn't so annoying :D

ZoraxDoom

Respected Legend
I use D+Six Hit button for all yorkers, and my timing is pretty good-4 or 6 everytime.
I like coming down and using the coverdrive(D+Right+Down) aginst offies and I use all my shots pretty well...although I can't hook good.....

Sureshot

Executive member
that commentator in the nets needs a ball to hit him in the goolies. cheers howzat

ahk2578

Club Cricketer
Sureshot said:
i hate them yorkers my heart goes in my mouth

For yorkers I play the on drive .I works well 'cause I some time get lucky with a four depending on the field placings at the time.

I some time get into trouble hooking .....timing and positioning for the shot are important I think....the reverse sweep I don't play too often and haven't mastered.

Another consideration for playing shots is the pitch condition.....major major consideration

Users who are viewing this thread