Don Bradman Cricket 14 - first impressions thread

isrararrafi

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
United States
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
Curious to see how they fix the run out issue. Will they make the batsman ground his bat while slowing down? Or remove the slowing down completely? Or just change the fielding attributes?

laxsidd

Club Captain
Got my game today.. Gameplay was simply fantastic. Talking about great first impressions, got a big adventurous and created a custom match which begins at 4:30 AM (to see how night transitions into day). As the match began, the commentator said something on the lines of " we have a sparse crowd is understandable given the bizzare starting time of the game" :D

Also, I did not select the get best option the first time a ran the game. Where can I access the option to do so now? (You can share the link to the relevant sub- forum / post)

EdgedAndGone

Club Captain
Have been observing the posts here for a while, much to my wife's amusement. I'm far too old to be obsessed by a new cricket game, but I have become utterly gripped by comments and youtube videos on all things DBC14!! Been playing cricket games since the days of Graham Gooch on the CM64, so the journey for a robust game has been a long one. Having said that, GG was bloody brilliant in its day!

From observing the videos, it seems the guys at BA have done a remarkable job. Yes, there are things to be improved upon and tweaked, but if you consider it took EA Sports the best part of 15 years to start nailing FIFA, and they literally threw millions and millions at it!

It's also incredibly refreshing to have a software company who engages with their customers so much. Their responses are open and constructive, which is more than can be said for most software companies. Brilliant work guys!

Have ordered from GAME and very much looking forward to the weekend, assuming it comes in time. Will give my own thoughts at some point in the future. Look forward to maybe playing online with some of you. I may be approaching 40, but if you can't tap into your inner child every now and again then you aren't living! ;)

Please dont say that you are far too old for getting obsessed by a cricket game. Age is no bar for cricket games. This is the only way out to relieve stress.... well atleast for me!

cricfan11

Associate Captain
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Yeah, the sound work is so brilliantly done.

Yesterday I had chance to admire another sound work which Ross mentioned ages ago before release - birds sound in the ground! I was like OMG, am I hearing from my TV! It was a day match & sounds of birds coming from background just gave you the lively feeling of us being in action in that ground while playing. EXCELLENT!

Ross, who is that sound guy behind all these? Kudos to him.

Definitely kudos to them for working on the sound, I don't have the game but it is evident in the videos too that how clear and beautiful all the sounds are. But one thing they might need to work on (or if they wish to;) ) is the sound of ball nick through bat and to keeper or slips. I've noticed in couple videos (I mentioned it before in previous video too), that when batsmen nicks the ball on the edge of the bat and ball goes behind, the sound of ball touching bat still seems like it middled it. I don't know whether this is just heard in videos or people experienced the same while playing the game too?
Whatever it is, it is still not a major issue and so I don't care even if doesn't get fixed(if it is really a anomaly) till I get my game on PC :)

zombieian

International Coach
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
Definitely kudos to them for working on the sound, I don't have the game but it is evident in the videos too that how clear and beautiful all the sounds are. But one thing they might need to work on (or if they wish to;) ) is the sound of ball nick through bat and to keeper or slips. I've noticed in couple videos (I mentioned it before in previous video too), that when batsmen nicks the ball on the edge of the bat and ball goes behind, the sound of ball touching bat still seems like it middled it. I don't know whether this is just heard in videos or people experienced the same while playing the game too?
Whatever it is, it is still not a major issue and so I don't care even if doesn't get fixed(if it is really a anomaly) till I get my game on PC :)

This small bug is also present in the CA nets beta.

glenny134

Club Captain
Curious to see how they fix the run out issue. Will they make the batsman ground his bat while slowing down? Or remove the slowing down completely? Or just change the fielding attributes?

Its funny, Im having very little runout problems...only increadibly superhuman fielders who you easily hit it over and they run half a field to catch it, and them hitting the stumps all the time.

I also think (and please correct me of Im wrong) that because the ball is slowed down(eg not actually 150kph, so the batter can play it) does that mean its slowed down in the air...cos the ball seems to stay in the air for ages, or is it just me

Biggs

This guy gets it
BGZ..
Profile Flag
New Zealand (Silver Fern)
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Its funny, Im having very little runout problems...

I should clarify the majority of my "run out" dismissals are at the bowlers end. The AI will push to mid on/mid off and Zeus or Odin fielding there get the ball and super-speed throw it at the bowlers stumps. No matter how quick my reflexes are (and I'm pounding that O button like Rocky II) I reckon I get back in my crease less than 50% of the time.

It's easily fixed. Set a rule that if "Run" is not pressed, the fielder doesn't need to throw the ball at all. You very rarely see the ball returned to the keeper or the bowler each delivery, especially if the batsman isn't making a run.

I understand the batsman is "backing up" at the bowlers end and is often out of his crease in reality, but the "gentlemans game" doesn't have vindictive AI in the field trying to get you run out at the bowlers end every second delivery.

That's the biggest flaw in the game currently, you fix the superhuman fielding... everything else gets fixed by default. Runs get marginally easier to come by and you're actually getting a half a chance out there batting, rather than no chance at all.

phil1987

Club Captain
^What phil needs, is some sweet chin music ;). @phil1987 We ride the same boat man. My batting sucks at this point in time but it seems to be more of my own inefficiency than some fault in the game. I also tried what you have suggested regarding the backfoot. I did that last night and I could survive a lot more than I did before. I sure as hell hope that I can cope with this thing and play of front and back on merit of each delivery.

lol i saw you in the anomalies thread asking for batting changes 3 days after posting this, perhaps you should get in line for a bit of that sweet chin music too?

glenny134

Club Captain
I should clarify the majority of my "run out" dismissals are at the bowlers end. The AI will push to mid on/mid off and Zeus or Odin fielding there get the ball and super-speed throw it at the bowlers stumps. No matter how quick my reflexes are (and I'm pounding that O button like Rocky II) I reckon I get back in my crease less than 50% of the time.

It's easily fixed. Set a rule that if "Run" is not pressed, the fielder doesn't need to throw the ball at all. You very rarely see the ball returned to the keeper or the bowler each delivery, especially if the batsman isn't making a run.

I understand the batsman is "backing up" at the bowlers end and is often out of his crease in reality, but the "gentlemans game" doesn't have vindictive AI in the field trying to get you run out at the bowlers end every second delivery.

That's the biggest flaw in the game currently, you fix the superhuman fielding... everything else gets fixed by default. Runs get marginally easier to come by and you're actually getting a half a chance out there batting, rather than no chance at all.

I tap circle as soon as the ai hits it, then run if its clear...thatd be why i dont encounter it

surendar

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
India
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
I tap circle as soon as the ai hits it, then run if its clear...thatd be why i dont encounter it

I also do the same. Only moment where I feel irritated is, sometimes I push for double and then cancel it seeing the throw. After pressing 'O' and pressing the sprint trigger, batsmen sometimes fail to slide the bat or delays to slide the bat immediately after input causing me few run outs.

I have been run out in this fashion 3-5 times only though but it makes you feel irritated especially when you turn out to be in the danger end.

There should be separate button for 'Cancel Run' and 'Slide the bat', it will make the life really easy for most of us. :)

graham

Club Captain
Have been observing the posts here for a while, much to my wife's amusement. I'm far too old to be obsessed by a new cricket game, but I have become utterly gripped by comments and youtube videos on all things DBC14!! Been playing cricket games since the days of Graham Gooch on the CM64, so the journey for a robust game has been a long one. Having said that, GG was bloody brilliant in its day!

From observing the videos, it seems the guys at BA have done a remarkable job. Yes, there are things to be improved upon and tweaked, but if you consider it took EA Sports the best part of 15 years to start nailing FIFA, and they literally threw millions and millions at it!

It's also incredibly refreshing to have a software company who engages with their customers so much. Their responses are open and constructive, which is more than can be said for most software companies. Brilliant work guys!

Have ordered from GAME and very much looking forward to the weekend, assuming it comes in time. Will give my own thoughts at some point in the future. Look forward to maybe playing online with some of you. I may be approaching 40, but if you can't tap into your inner child every now and again then you aren't living! ;)

49 soon so your just a junior ;)

Users who are viewing this thread