Don Bradman Cricket 14 - first impressions thread

Frostyvegi

Club Captain
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Had a great moment last night, our team in a One day match needed about 60 from 60 when I came in at number 7. Got to about 30 from 38 (I had 16 odd), when the #5 got out playing agressive.. then I lost my wicket to a fine nick. Best part was when a no ball was bowled against the #5 and we ran a single on the shot.. I got to face the free ball and smacked it for 6 (not even an agressive shot). Next innings batting got out for about 8, again nicking the spinner playing a shot, last wicket went out next ball. Batting is coming more and more easier the more I get used to it with such a crap batter.. but my skills are improving. If batting was made any easier it would be too easy.. right now it is perfectly fine on Legend difficulty.

Classic wicket, batsman was trying to play a front foot sweep, but I had taken off some pace and the ball hit his foot, wide of leg stump and deflected onto the wickets.

To add, I am also not having the issue with runouts, even if I accidentially call for a run have ample time to cancel. Also noticed that, according to the run bar at the bottom, the batsman will appear to 'hurry up' to cross the line when the ball is coming to their end..

cricket_online

ICC Board Member
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
Finally got the game and played it for a few hours and here are my first impressions...

The Good

Mostly everything. Batting is a joy in the game and has been nailed perfectly. You do feel sometimes that nicks to the wkt keeper are a bit random but that's how cricket is, i.e. one shot goes through the covers for 4 and the next one is nicked to wk. "The Good" section is short coz most of the stuff in the game is in this category and I would literally have to write pages if I start listing everything that is good in the game.

The Bad

1. Run outs, especially when you cancel the run. The batsmen just saunter in and get caught out of crease. In fact running is so casual that sometimes you get run out trying to take a single to long on or long off. It definitely is frustrating to see your well set batsman depart to a lazy Shane Watsonsque run out. Too many direct hits is a concern as well.

2. No fielding radar. It's way too hard to figure out the field settings, especially fielders on the boundary. Batting takes such a high toll of your concentration that you can't really focus on figuring out where the boundary riders every ball, and this results in batsmen being caught in the deep in shorter formats.

3. Bowling seems to be a bit on the easy side comparatively. AI gives you easy wkts and the learning curve is not as steep as the batting side of things. Again, this is one thing which worries me coz once you are proficient at batting, you can't really hope to have good matches with AI since you are able to roll them over relatively easy. Simulating AI batting generally leads to a higher total than if you bowl to AI yourself.

The Ugly

Nothing. There's no game breaking bug and so far pluses have greatly outnumbered the negatives.

----------

Do you guys not hold down R2 when running? Cos you seem to have a lot more run out issues than me

R2 doesn't seem to work when you cancel a run by pressing O. Most of my runouts occured after I cancelled a run and couldn't do anything (including pressing R2) to get my batsman hurry across the batting crease.

Last edited:

madman981

Club Captain
Till now 3 overthows, but even though I ran 2 runs and other time 1 run the game added only 4 runs. Also commentrater says "crowd has come to see this and right from the middle of the bat etc.":noway

I dont what your talking about, last night i ran a 3, then the guy at the bowlers end took the ball and whipped off the stumps, the ball flew out his hand to mid on and managed to scamper another 2, not only did it credit me 5 runs but the commentator even mentioned i ran 5.....

sami ullah khan

Panel of Selectors
lol i saw you in the anomalies thread asking for batting changes 3 days after posting this, perhaps you should get in line for a bit of that sweet chin music too?

May be I am but i don't think it needs a drastic change. Captainoz suggested some .5 second windows to help people like us with shoddy relfexes cope with front foot/back foot movement. Currently I find it impossible but I still feel I will get used to it in the long run. Here is hoping.

SibiNaayagam

International Coach
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Just started a 6 test series vs SA and me as the Aussie team of now and what a game.:clap

I batted first and made just 65 all out:facepalm and thought that's it one down but i was almost wrong. I got the AI out for 209 and needed to bat well in the second inns or game over man.

To my surprise i made a ok score of 185(200 is my best) with Clarke top scoring with my best inns and what a inns of 87/106 balls( not funny for us
Aussie:noway)

So the AI needed just 41 to win and SA fell like a pack of cards and i had then 9 for 41 with watson getting 5 for 9 and i thought yes i got them here but they hit a 4 to get over the line. I was screaming and well acting like a mad man but loved every second of it. Can't wait for game two later today.

How many days did the game last?

madman981

Club Captain
Finally got the game and played it for a few hours and here are my first impressions...

The Good

Mostly everything. Batting is a joy in the game and has been nailed perfectly. You do feel sometimes that nicks to the wkt keeper are a bit random but that's how cricket is, i.e. one shot goes through the covers for 4 and the next one is nicked to wk. "The Good" section is short coz most of the stuff in the game is in this category and I would literally have to write pages if I start listing everything that is good in the game.

The Bad

1. Run outs, especially when you cancel the run. The batsmen just saunter in and get caught out of crease. In fact running is so casual that sometimes you get run out trying to take a single to long on or long off. It definitely is frustrating to see your well set batsman depart to a lazy Shane Watsonsque run out. Too many direct hits is a concern as well.

2. No fielding radar. It's way too hard to figure out the field settings, especially fielders on the boundary. Batting takes such a high toll of your concentration that you can't really focus on figuring out where the boundary riders every ball, and this results in batsmen being caught in the deep in shorter formats.

3. Bowling seems to be a bit on the easy side comparatively. AI gives you easy wkts and the learning curve is not as steep as the batting side of things. Again, this is one thing which worries me coz once you are proficient at batting, you can't really hope to have good matches with AI since you should be able to roll them over relatively easy. Simulating AI batting generally leads to a higher total than if you bowl to AI yourself.

The Ugly

Nothing. There's no game breaking bug and so far pluses have greatly outnumbered the negatives.

----------

R2 doesn't seem to work when you cancel a run by pressing O. Most of my runouts occured after I cancelled a run and couldn't do anything (including pressing R2) to get my batsman hurry across the batting crease.

You are correct about when you cancel runs there is nothing you can do

but when running normally, always, and i mean ALWAYS hold R2 until the end, then you wont have to worry about the batsmane just ambeling across the line because he will always slide his bat and go past the line

also, dont forget the triangle button (Dive), the dive is my best freind sometimes

cricket_online

ICC Board Member
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
You are correct about when you cancel runs there is nothing you can do

but when running normally, always, and i mean ALWAYS hold R2 until the end, then you wont have to worry about the batsmane just ambeling across the line because he will always slide his bat and go past the line

also, dont forget the triangle button (Dive), the dive is my best freind sometimes

Yup, that's what I do. Always press R2 but it would be great for batsmen to try and slide the bat in when you press O to cancel the run. I find it's better to go through the run instead of cancelling and backtracking as you will invariably get stranded if you cancel the run.

Slugger

Club Cricketer
I have been holding R2 every run since my first disaster on Friday playing. Nearly gave up until @Biggs pulled me into line (thanks again). The problem i am still having however is if i hold down R2 and make it nearly 3/4 of the way there, i feel like "ok i can relax now" take my finger off and ..... yep thats right bloody run out with my whole body just about over the line but bat in the air. I really should just hold it the whole way but also wonder what it does to my fatigue?

Anyway, Ross has posted that fielding will be patched within 2 weeks (he hopes, don't hold him to be a liar if it is a bit longer) so this shouldn't be any issue moving forward.

BMC

School Cricketer
I'm into my second season as a batsmen. The batting is very difficult. My highest score is about 28 otherwise I consider getting 5 runs a major milestone. This is an excellent game but I am really confused as to why there are no easier levels than pro in career.

As someone who can only play the game a couple of nights a week, it's a very depressing thought that the career mode is almost unplayable.

madman981

Club Captain
Dont worry about fatigue son, Id rather ne tired and batting then frustrated, feeling fine and out!!

u r right cricket online, if only they would keep the bloody bat grounded....

its happened to me too many times, im not even jaded anymore, i actually just blame myself now!! this patch will be golden boys...

BRAB

International Coach
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Just got my first hat trick!! :)

They recognise it in the XP but the commentators don't if you get one off the last ball of the over and then two off the first two of your next over :)

AngryPixel

Chairman of Selectors
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
@BigAntStudios In the future patch can you include the option to manually view the hawk eye and hotspot replay of a delivery? Maybe patch them in a interactive replay option. There are occasions when i have got appeals turned down and i have not got any reviews left. Would have been interesting checking it in hawkeye mode.

MattW

Administrator
Admin
Big Ant
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Melbourne Stars
Profile Flag
Australia
You can view the over so far - though for some reason the chart of the colour coding of that isn't shown, but you can look if any balls are going on to hit the stumps.

smasta

Club Captain
Finally after following all the advice on batting in this forum I played an ODI on pro (India Vs Australia). It was very intense innings with focus on not to anything experiment and try to concentrate on shots which I play well, I was able to score 358/8 in 50 overs. However there were no 100s but 4 50s, even Ishant Sharma scored 43 during death overs. I was over the cloud when this inning ended. :cheers
Australia was all out in 37 overs with score as 197. :clap

I think now I am getting some hang with the batting. :yes

Users who are viewing this thread