Discussion Don Bradman Cricket could have a future in e-sports

Spickery

PlanetCricket Writing Team
Profile Flag
Australia
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
If you have heard of e-sports before you probably wouldn't have expected Don Bradman Cricket as a game someone would try and associate it with, so just hear me out before you leave this thread and go away calling me crazy. If you haven't heard of e-sports before there are a certain few games highly skilled gamers can play professionally and these gamers participate in tournaments against other teams with a chance to win a large sum of money if they win the tournament.

I was thinking that the game of cricket could be perfect for people to play competitively if you think about it.

Here are some basic rules of how it would work:

- Teams are made up of five people

- Twenty20 and ODIs are the formats played, as I don't expect people would watch a full Test match

- The five players must all bowl their maximum amount of overs. 5x4 = the 20 required bowled overs in a Twenty20 unless the other team is bowled out beforehand. It world work in a similar way for ODIs 5x10= the 50 required overs that must be bowled unless the other team is bowled out beforehand. The captain of the team selects who bowls when, so the captain can pick what bowlers bowl at the death for example

- When one player is bowling the other 4 fielders are fielding, one can be a wicket-keeper if they wish, the remaining fielders are AI controlled

- For batting 4 players get to bat twice, so once a player is out the first time he can come back in but only after the other 4 people in the team have batted, unless the opener is still in, to make it fair. The batting order of the players is decided by the team captain. The captain of the team also elects the one person who can bat three teams, it would make sense for this to best the best batsman in the team. Using this combination allows for the 11 wickets to be utilized, obviously one player will be left not out at the end of the innings

- To win your team either sets a score and defends it or chases down the score set by the other team, just like in regular cricket

For this idea to work these rules would have to set be in a kind of 'competitive' playlist made by Big Ant in most likely a future Don Bradman Cricket title (not the one we are playing now). If this concept ever got going money doesn't have to involved to start off with and any prize money for winning tournaments can start of small and hopefully gradually get bigger. Matches between professional Don Bradman Cricket players could be streamed on say Twitch for example, so other people can watch these players compete, which will hopefully convince the viewers to buy Don Bradman Cricket.

Just thought I would throw this idea out there. It helps if you have some understanding of how e-sports works to really get my idea. Anyone's thoughts are welcome though and apologies for the long post.

I think this is a great idea, I could see it bringing more people to play online with Don Bradman. I have always been an online player I see a greater reward for playing when there is another person trying to out think you rather than the game itself.
The idea of playing as a team and contributing to a common goal is one I think will work with success. The idea of money been involved I am not sure whether it would be an incentive or a hindrance. Maybe pitch the idea to Big Ant?

But DBC doesn't even have 2 player co-op, let alone 5 v 5. It would take a lot for that to developed... i'm not even sure if any of the consoles allow you to connect that many controllers? So it have to be a sort of MMO experience?

But DBC doesn't even have 2 player co-op, let alone 5 v 5. It would take a lot for that to developed... i'm not even sure if any of the consoles allow you to connect that many controllers? So it have to be a sort of MMO experience?
That is why I don't expect this to happen in the Don Bradman Cricket game we are currently playing. I would expect co-op in the next game and 5v5 shouldn't be that hard to implement as I am sure other games have managed a similar thing. Controllers being connected is not necessary as teams would play over the internet.

@BigAntStudios Your thoughts on this would be appreciated when you have time Ross.

With all the bugs on the online version of the game the concept is a non-starter at the moment. Major issues related to bowleds not given s out, 4s given as 6s and vice-versa, black screens, missing audio, game losing connection occasionally for no apparent reason, yorkers or fuller deliveries treated as bouncers sometimes, fielders acting weird - from super slow to supermen etc. are just a few bugs encountered online. Surely you can't have a tourney with money riding on it unless most, if not all, of these issues are fixed. Online and multiplayer version of the game needs to be a lot more stable than what it currently is before we can entertain the thought of e-sports and e-sports tourneys.

With all the bugs on the online version of the game the concept is a non-starter at the moment. Major issues related to bowleds not given s out, 4s given as 6s and vice-versa, black screens, missing audio, game losing connection occasionally for no apparent reason, yorkers or fuller deliveries treated as bouncers sometimes, fielders acting weird - from super slow to supermen etc. are just a few bugs encountered online. Surely you can't have a tourney with money riding on it unless most, if not all, of these issues are fixed. Online and multiplayer version of the game needs to be a lot more stable than what it currently is before we can entertain the thought of e-sports and e-sports tourneys.
Yeah online in the game has a long way to go to make such things possible or even to think of..

Dude, go back and read the last paragraph in my original post. I don't expect this idea to happen in this version of the game. In a sequel though this idea is much more realistic with all the bugs and other problems ironed out.

e-sports is the present and future for online professional players, i have few queries to ask how it get implemented in case of development of the game.u may not be a developer but still u might be a thinker.
1)how a team of 11 get picked , if playing with 5 online random players including u,unless ur playing with 4 of ur friends.
2)how u decide the captain of the team unless ur playing with friends.
3)how a captain knows whom to give death overs to bowl and 3 times batting unless u play more often with that player.
4)what other 3 players do, while 2 players are batting.most probably watching like viewers.
5)10 players should be online at the same time to play the match,5 in each team.what if the 10 players are from different locations,different internet speed,what if disconnected.

This might be good idea to have cricket in that category but its a very big ask for Bigant to make it reality.Role playing games like gta have this and some other games. i hope this could happen in near future but lets play co-op first.i didn't experienced e-sports so my knowledge is petty about it.if u then please dilate more about it.

I appreciate ur idea though.

e-sports is the present and future for online professional players, i have few queries to ask how it get implemented in case of development of the game.u may not be a developer but still u might be a thinker.
1)how a team of 11 get picked , if playing with 5 online random players including u,unless ur playing with 4 of ur friends.
2)how u decide the captain of the team unless ur playing with friends.
3)how a captain knows whom to give death overs to bowl and 3 times batting unless u play more often with that player.
4)what other 3 players do, while 2 players are batting.most probably watching like viewers.
5)10 players should be online at the same time to play the match,5 in each team.what if the 10 players are from different locations,different internet speed,what if disconnected.

This might be good idea to have cricket in that category but its a very big ask for Bigant to make it reality.Role playing games like gta have this and some other games. i hope this could happen in near future but lets play co-op first.i didn't experienced e-sports so my knowledge is petty about it.if u then please dilate more about it.

I appreciate ur idea though.

1. Your team of five would be made up of you and your 4 friends.
2. How the captain is decided is up to the team of friends.
3. Death bowlers should be given to who the captain thinks is the best death bowler, same with the person who bats three times, they should be the batman in the team. The team should be playing together a lot to work these things out.
4. Yes, they would watch the other two batsman bat. Like what happens in Call of Duty when someone dies in Search and Destroy.
5. Different locations and such should be sorted out by the team. For disconnections there could easily be some kind of rule created for that.

Users who are viewing this thread