Emerging Players Tournament 2009 (Aus, NZ, SA, IND)

Howsie

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
It's on in Australia next month, I think all four teams are sending over teams again. Here is the NZ squad:

Peter Fulton, captain, (Canterbury)
Nick Beard (Otago)
Hamish Bennett (Canterbury)
Te Ahu Davis (Northern Districts)
Colin de Grandhomme (Auckland)
Anaru Kitchen (Auckland)
Tarun Nethula (Auckland)
Jeet Raval (Auckland)
Lance Shaw (Auckland)
Tim Southee (Northern Districts)
Neil Wagner (Otago)
BJ Watling (Northern Districts)
Kane Williamson (Northern Districts)
George Worker (Central Districts)
Reece Young (Auckland)

Since it's an emerging players tournament there are a lot of younger guys, but our team looks strong. It's also good to hear that we will be playing against the three best teams in the world, so that can only help our younger players. Williamson should score bucket loads of runs over there, if he does he could be in with a shot of touring Sri Lanka. I'm surprised to see Neil Wagner in the team though, since he still has two years left to be eligble for NZ.

I'll do a write up later on some of the guys most of the people on here haven't heard about in the next few days.

The side will play a four-way tournament in Brisbane during July against an Australian Institute of Sport team, and Emerging Players sides from India and South Africa. The tournament includes two rounds of Twenty20 and six one-day matches plus finals.

NZ's Draw is here:

EMERGING PLAYERS TO AUSTRALIA 2009
July 2009

Monday 20 Twenty20 vs South Africa at Redlands Cricket Club (1.00 p.m. local time)
Tuesday 21 ODI vs AIS at Redlands Cricket Club (9.00 a.m. local time)
Thursday 23 ODI vs South Africa at Redlands Cricket Club (9.00 a.m. local time)
Friday 24 ODI vs India at Sandgate (9.00 a.m. local time)
Sunday 26 ODI vs AIS at University (9.00 a.m. local time)
Monday 27 Twenty20 vs India at Sandgate (9.30 a.m. local time)
Wednesday 29 ODI vs South Africa at University (9.00 a.m. local time)
Thursday 30 ODI vs India at Redlands Cricket Club (9.00 a.m. local time)

August 2009

Saturday 01 FINAL
1 v 2 at Allan Border Field (9.00 a.m. local time)
3 v 4 at University

Last edited:

Ari

International Cricketer
Looks like Greg Hay has fallen off the radar completly. Also where is Corey Anderson I heard nothing but hype about him last season.

Howsie

Chairman of Selectors
Looks like Greg Hay has fallen off the radar completly. Also where is Corey Anderson I heard nothing but hype about him last season.

Greg Hay was never going to play in this tournament when he couldn't even make the CD team. Anderson had a dissapointing 08/09 season, he was dropped quite a few times. I was surprised that Te Ahu made the team tbh. He was one of the quickest bowlers in the world at the 2002 Under 19 World Cup but since coming back from rugby he really isn't that fast, maybe around 145. Trent Boult deserved to be in this squad over him.

Ari

International Cricketer
That Te Ahu Davis fella's supposed to be pretty rapido isn't he? Should have a decent bowling side with him and Southee.

Saw him play a couple of T20 games last season he wasn't rapid at all, looked like your typical right arm medium fast kiwi bowler.

Ari added 2 Minutes and 55 Seconds later...

Greg Hay was never going to play in this tournament when he couldn't even make the CD team. Anderson had a dissapointing 08/09 season, he was dropped quite a few times. I was surprised that Te Ahu made the team tbh. He was one of the quickest bowlers in the world at the 2002 Under 19 World Cup but since coming back from rugby he really isn't that fast, maybe around 145. Trent Boult deserved to be in this squad over him.

Yea but him not making the CD team was even more confusing he played a couple of games early in the season then just vanished. Surely someone who was averaging near on 50 in all 3 formats the season before needed a longer run in the team.

Howsie

Chairman of Selectors
That Te Ahu Davis fella's supposed to be pretty rapido isn't he? Should have a decent bowling side with him and Southee.

He was really quick a few years back, he then went off and played rugby and lost some of his pace. He would of been 150's back in 02/03, most people think he should get it back though. Last year was his first year back in like 2/3 years.

Look out for Neil Wagner too. Left-arm quick bowler from SA who wants to play for New Zealand. He has a first-class average of 22 I think. He would be around the 145 mark to. He is pretty much going to play for NZ once he is eligble.

Howsie added 3 Minutes and 27 Seconds later...

Saw him play a couple of T20 games last season he wasn't rapid at all, looked like your typical right arm medium fast kiwi bowler.

Ari added 2 Minutes and 55 Seconds later...

Yea but him not making the CD team was even more confusing he played a couple of games early in the season then just vanished. Surely someone who was averaging near on 50 in all 3 formats the season before needed a longer run in the team.

Brad Patton kept him out of the team somehow. I've heard Greg Hay could be moving to Canterbury or Northern Districts, hopefully he comes to us. :D

Ari

International Cricketer
Brad Patton kept him out of the team somehow. I've heard Greg Hay could be moving to Canterbury or Northern Districts, hopefully he comes to us. :D

If that was the case then yea he should move. The CD team last year did look solid so places would have been tough to get.

Howsie

Chairman of Selectors
Any Aussie squad named yet?

Don't think so but I was able to find the South African team:

Vaughn van Jaarsveld (bizhub Highveld Lions, capt), Craig Alexander (bizhub Highveld Lions), Farhaan Behardien (Nashua Titans), Henry Davids (Nashua Cape Cobras), CJ de Villiers (Gestetner Diamond Eagles), Dean Elgar (Gestetner Diamond Eagles), Reza Hendricks (Gestetner Diamond Eagles), Heino Kuhn (Nashua Titans), Rilee Rossouw (Gestetner Diamond Eagles), Daryn Smit (Nashua Dolphins), Juan Theron (Chevrolet Warriors), Thandi Tshabalala (Gestetner Diamond Eagles), Lonwabo Tsotsobe (Chevrolet Warriors), Stiaan van Zyl (Nashua Cape Cobras), Basheer Walters (Nashua Titans

A couple of guys there have played for South Africa, anyone know how strong that team is though.

Howsie added 42 Minutes and 40 Seconds later...

So what would be you're guys playing XI, mine would be:

1.BJ Watling
2.Jeet Raval
3.George Worker
4.Kane Williamson
5.Peter Fulton(C)
6.Anaru Kitchen
7.Reece Young(WK)
8.Tarun Nethula
9.Te Ahu Davis
10.Tim Southee
11.Neil Wagner

Watling could play as a wicket-keeper maybe, and we could bring in a better batsmen for Young.

Crew of Black

Club Cricketer

Canterbury would be the best move for him, since they've got hardly any batting depth.

The NZ team looks pretty solid, I think this is one of the few times I can't complain about a NZ side, though I would have given it full marks if they gave Trent Boult a spot in the side, I still think Boult is our best young bowling prospect.

My XI would be pretty much the same, bar one change with Bennett in for Davis.

1.BJ Watling
2.Jeet Raval
3.George Worker
4.Kane Williamson
5.Peter Fulton(C)
6.Anaru Kitchen
7.Reece Young(WK)
8.Tarun Nethula
9. Tim Southee
10. Hamish Bennett
11.Neil Wagner

Last edited:

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Pretty good squad you guys have.
I would expect some of the following in ours: Usman Khawaja, Tom Cooper, Henriques, Josh Hazelwood, Steven Smith, Jon Holland

angryangy

ICC Chairman
In contrast with 2008, the potential of 2009's AIS intake lies in its pacemen, who are also well supported by some interesting spinners. It's also a very young group. It will be very interesting to see the squad named for the EPT

naresh091

International Cricketer
Last time around Badri and Raina played some wonderful knock to help India through.Anyone remember that partnership between Badrinath and Raina against Australia when we lost despite fighting hard?
Moises Henriques too was seen as a very good prospect then.He hit a century against us.

Users who are viewing this thread