England 23-Man 2010 World Cup squad (Possible)

War

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
This is what i hope Capello picks once all players are fit:

Goal-Keepers:

1. Green
2. Hart
3. Robinson

DEFENDERS:

4. Ferdinand
5. Terry
6. Upson
7. Campbell*
8. A Cole
9. Johnson
10. Bridge

MID-FIELDERS:

11. Gerrard
12. Lampard
13. Barry
14. Carrick
15. Hargreaves*
16. J Cole
17. Walcott
18. Lennon
19. Beckham

STRIKERS:

20. Rooney
21. Heseky
22. Owen*
23. Defoe

Campbell - For me if in the games he plays for Arsenal this season he looks good, i'd hope he goes to WC as a back-up defender. Especially if Hargreaves isn't fit.

Hargreaves - Its seems more & more unlikely that he will make it. If he fit he can obvious play mid-field & back-up RB to Johnson.

Owen: - Fear Capello wont pick him. But 100% believe he should go, since in a hypotetical WC QF or SF i would definately want to see him on the bench. Hopefully he does something big in the league & CL before the season ends, to further push his case

But if Hargreaves aint fit. Campbell cant be picked. Theirfore their replacements would/should be Wes Brown (since he can be a back-up defender & cover Johnson @ RB) & Daren Bent/Crouch.

Milner is the unluckiest to miss out for sure. But i reckon he could still get in, especially if Lennon doesn't recover from his injury in time.

The Best XI once all are fit also would/should be: (based on what Capello picked in the WCQs)

-------------------------------Green/Hart---------------------------------

Johnson------------Ferdinand----------------Terry-------------------A Cole

Lennon/Walcott--------Lampard----------------Barry--------------Gerrard--

-----------------------------Rooney--------------------------------------

------------------------------------Heskey--------------------------------

Last edited:

harrisb

International Coach
First, David James will definitely be on the plane to South Africa unless he has a shocking end to the season.

However, the big big point here, that Capello needs to address, is the fact that he needs to take 5 strikers.

Rooney,
Defoe,
Bent,
Heskey,
Crouch/Agbonlahor

War

Chairman of Selectors
First, David James will definitely be on the plane to South Africa unless he has a shocking end to the season.

Well James hasn't exactly been looking confident in goal for a Pompey team in all sort of problems. Plus his age worries me, we should learn from Seaman in WC 2002 & leave James home IMO.

However, the big big point here, that Capello needs to address, is the fact that he needs to take 5 strikers.

Rooney,
Defoe,
Bent,
Heskey,
Crouch/Agbonlahor

Think the WC may have come too soon for Gabby TBH. His pace & power is great - but he isn't really baniging in the goals for Villa this season. Owen has to be in their for me. My 5 would be:

Rooney
Defoe
Heskey
Owen
Bent/Crouch.

D

Dutch

I'd pick Terry and 22 clones of his.

The problem with that of course is that they would all be farting around shagging each others wives....plus the fact that Terry is overrated both as a player and as a shagger....according to my wife anyway!:D

shantanu_rooney

Chairman of Selectors
Goal-Keepers:

1. Green
2. Hart
3. James

DEFENDERS:

4. Ferdinand
5. Terry
6. Upson
7. Lescott
8. A Cole
9. Johnson
10. Bridge

MID-FIELDERS:

11. Gerrard
12. Lampard
13. Barry
14. Carrick
15. Milner
16. J Cole
17. Walcott
18. Lennon
19. Beckham

STRIKERS:

20. Rooney
21. Heseky
22. Owen
23. Defoe

War

Chairman of Selectors
Goal-Keepers:

1. Green
2. Hart
3. James

DEFENDERS:

4. Ferdinand
5. Terry
6. Upson
7. Lescott
8. A Cole
9. Johnson
10. Bridge

MID-FIELDERS:

11. Gerrard
12. Lampard
13. Barry
14. Carrick
15. Milner
16. J Cole
17. Walcott
18. Lennon
19. Beckham

STRIKERS:

20. Rooney
21. Heseky
22. Owen
23. Defoe

No way should Lescott be picekd to be honest. He hasn't looked international quality in none of the games he has played for England. Such a overated player, not sure why Man City ever bought him..

Hope James isn't picked either..

Last edited:

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
No way should Lescott be picekd to be honest. He hasn't looked international in none of the games he has played for England. Such a overated player, not sure why Man City ever bought him..

Hope James isn't picked either..

So do I - James is too prone to awful mistakes.

I'd pick Terry and 22 clones of his.

Yeps. A squad full of 22 defenders... :sarcasm

MasterBlaster76 added 0 Minutes and 35 Seconds later...

Get Defoe in there.

Defoe has absolutely got to go - didn't he miss out to Walcott last time round (one of Sven's nonsensical decisions)?

Kiko_97

User Title Purchaser
Profile Flag
England
I think so, why pick someone who hasn't played a Premiership game over an in firm striker was my thought at the time

themuel1

International Coach
Milner will go ahead of Walcott, I can guarentee. Milner has been very good, is versatile and Capello rates him. Walcott is going backwards quickly at Arsenal. He won't go at this rate. Owen and Defoe can't both go. They are the same player. Infact theres no way Owen will go. Not been in any squads so far. Ferguson doesn't rate him, so hes not playing at United. If Carlton Cole is playing well, he will be battling the last striker spot place out with Darren Bent. Can't ignore Bent's scoring.

My Squad:

(Not in the order of who I'd start)
1:Hart
2:Robinson
3:James

4:Brown
5: Ferdinand
6: Terry (This depends on whether his head is back in the right place. As we saw against Everton, if his head is wrong, he's only an asset to the oppostion)
7: Upson
8: A.Cole
9 G.Jonhson (Were clearly short in the RB role.....)
10: Bridge

11: Lampard
12: Gerrard
13: Barry
14: Lennon
15: JOE COLE (The most naturally creative midifelder we have)
16: Beckham
17: Milner
18: Carrick (As much as I want Hargo back, he just WON't be fit).
19: SWP or Downing (I imagine it will be Downing as Capello is a big fan)

20: Rooney
21: Heskey
22: Carlton Cole or Bent
23: Defoe

War

Chairman of Selectors
Milner will go ahead of Walcott, I can guarentee. Milner has been very good, is versatile and Capello rates him. Walcott is going backwards quickly at Arsenal. He won't go at this rate. Owen and Defoe can't both go. They are the same player. Infact theres no way Owen will go. Not been in any squads so far. Ferguson doesn't rate him, so hes not playing at United. If Carlton Cole is playing well, he will be battling the last striker spot place out with Darren Bent. Can't ignore Bent's scoring.

My Squad:

(Not in the order of who I'd start)
1:Hart
2:Robinson
3:James

4:Brown
5: Ferdinand
6: Terry (This depends on whether his head is back in the right place. As we saw against Everton, if his head is wrong, he's only an asset to the oppostion)
7: Upson
8: A.Cole
9 G.Jonhson (Were clearly short in the RB role.....)
10: Bridge

11: Lampard
12: Gerrard
13: Barry
14: Lennon
15: JOE COLE (The most naturally creative midifelder we have)
16: Beckham
17: Milner
18: Carrick (As much as I want Hargo back, he just WON't be fit).
19: SWP or Downing (I imagine it will be Downing as Capello is a big fan)

20: Rooney
21: Heskey
22: Carlton Cole or Bent
23: Defoe

I see what you are saying with Milner & im inclined to agree right now. He definately will go, its just that for me if all of Lennon, Walcott, Beckham, J Cole where playing well i sort of felt Milner could miss out.

But yea Walcott has played that well this season thanks to his injury woes & his place could be in jeopardy. Overall i dont expect Milner to start though, if going by the WCQs its obvious Capello worked out having either Lennon/Walcott's pace on the right is a very important facet of our attack.

On James. I really dont think he should TBH. As i mentioned earlier in the thread he really hasn't been looking confident in goal for a Pompey team in all sort of problems. Plus his age worries me, we should learn from Seaman in WC 2002 & leave James home IMO.

Robinson seems to vanquihsed his demons of that dark night in Zagreb. What do you think about just taking two goal-keepers?

SWP & Downing shouldn't go. SWP has wated his oppurtunities at international level. We dont need Downing just for the sake of having a "natural" left-footer - he aslo has looked average @ international level. We have enough versatility in Lennon, J Cole & Milner to play on left if needed.

On Owen. My position is simple if in a hypotetical big WCQ of SF i'd want to know we have Owen on the bench.

Last edited:

themuel1

International Coach
I wouldn't go with 2 goalkeepers because losing two goalkeepers to inury in a quick space of time isn't unheard of.

I wouldn't take Downing either, but every England manager seems to have Downing Syndrome (He looks good in training but rubbish on the pitch).

Personally, Joe Hart would be my pick for goalkeeper.

Users who are viewing this thread