Story England in the 1980s

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
The 1980s was a turbulent decade for English cricket, characterised by scandal, players banned for rebel tours or drug-taking, selectorial inconsistency, and defeat: lots of defeat. Among the low points of the decade were two 5-0 "black wash" defeats vs the West Indies, first ever series losses against New Zealand and Pakistan, and closing the decade with a humiliating 4-0 Ashes capitulation that ushered in 16 years of Aussie dominance.

But there were some high points, including Botham's Ashes (one of 2 home Ashes wins in the decade) a come from behind victory in India, a world cup final and what would be the last Ashes win in Australia for nearly 25 years.

This thread will capture my attempt to play through the decade and see if I can do better: it will be hard to do worse.

I'll link videos etc. here.

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
England in the 1980s starts off, appropriately for the confusion that would reign throughout the decade, in November 1979. England toured Australia for the first "post-Packer" season, after the ACB and Kerry Packer's World Series Cricket made peace. This led to a somewhat odd series, England would play a 3-Test series vs Australia, in which the Ashes would not be on the line. In addition Australia would play a simultaneous 3-Test series versus the West Indies. Finally, both test series would be punctuated with the World Series Cup, a one day tri-series between the 3 teams.

The World Series Cup saw each team play each other 4 times, with a best of 3 finals. I'm playing just a simple league with the teams playing each other twice, and 1 final, at my 25-over format.

I am playing only England's matches. I will simulate the non-England World Series Cup matches. I will not simulate or play the Australia / West Indies Test matches.

Thanks to @Llewelynf for the England logos, especially the old TCCB Lion and Stumps. Thanks also to @inertSpark who's ACB logo I edited for Australia.

Last edited:

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
England meet the West Indies in the first World Series Cup match at the SCG. Clive Lloyd wins the toss and bats first. A good start from Greenidge and Haynes is pegged back as Gower takes a fine catch off Botham's bowling - the first of 3 early wickets from Beefy.

After that, spin takes over as Underwood takes 4 wickets, and Miller 2, as keeper Bairstow takes an impressive 7 catches as the spin off a dusty pitch keeps finding the edge. The West Indies are grateful for a quick 33* from Garner to lift them up to 139 all out from 22.5 overs.

England inns to follow.

zimrahil

Retired Administrator
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Absolutely loving this

The teams, the sepia(?) look, and of course the music :)

If only England could bowl that well against them back then. Be interested to see how you get on batting against one of best bowling attacks of all time

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
England chase 140 vs the West Indies

England's reply gets off to a terrible start as they lose Randall without scoring to the 2nd ball of the innings. A fine partnership from Brearley and Gower - characterised by some lovely cover driving by both players - helps England into a good position. However, Croft strikes twice in an over to remove them both, and in his next over removes Gooch and Willey to leave England reeling. Botham leads the counter-attack, ably supported by first Bairstow and then Miller. For the 3rd time in the innings England lose 2 wickets in an over as spinner Parry gets Botham (to a scarcely believable great catch by Murray) and Dilley (bowled missing a pull). Miller hits two huge 6's from hooks off consecutive balls by Roberts, and keeps a calm head to see England home by 2 wickets and seal the man of the match award for his 39* and 2 wickets.

England win by 2 wickets!

Plotinus

Associate Captain
England chase 140 vs the West Indies

England's reply gets off to a terrible start as they lose Randall without scoring to the 2nd ball of the innings. A fine partnership from Brearley and Gower - characterised by some lovely cover driving by both players - helps England into a good position. However, Croft strikes twice in an over to remove them both, and in his next over removes Gooch and Willey to leave England reeling. Botham leads the counter-attack, ably supported by first Bairstow and then Miller. For the 3rd time in the innings England lose 2 wickets in an over as spinner Parry gets Botham (to a scarcely believable great catch by Murray) and Dilley (bowled missing a pull). Miller hits two huge 6's from hooks off consecutive balls by Roberts, and keeps a calm head to see England home by 2 wickets and seal the man of the match award for his 39* and 2 wickets.

England win by 2 wickets!

Many thanks, for posting this. Great to see this classic West Indies side bowling fast and short (particularly accompanied by Soul Limbo...music that I forever associate with skipping exam revision for days spent parked in front of BBC cricket). Keep them coming.

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
Many thanks, for posting this. Great to see this classic West Indies side bowling fast and short (particularly accompanied by Soul Limbo...music that I forever associate with skipping exam revision for days spent parked in front of BBC cricket). Keep them coming.

Glad you enjoyed it mate. I'm diving between the rebel tour and England 80s at the minute (a few reports and vids to post) and loving every second of it.

Plotinus

Associate Captain
Glad you enjoyed it mate. I'm diving between the rebel tour and England 80s at the minute (a few reports and vids to post) and loving every second of it.
I'm currently in the process of playing a crazy custom Test World Championship using your 1980's teams (retro filter applied). Each game I pick a side to play (so far I picked Sri Lanka versus Australia and England versus Pakistan) and have lost both encounters...but enjoyed every second of it. I just enjoy the experience of facing such cricketing bowling greats as Khan, Qadir, Lillee and Thomson or trying to wheedle out the likes of Miandad, Abbas or Border. The 1980's were a bleak time for followers of England but there were some truly magnificent players...and teams like the 1980's West Indies were a joy to watch even as they were pummelling England. This is the first cricket game I've played (including DBC14) that I've actually enjoyed despite losing consistently. Great to see your custom 25-over format play out with these teams also.

Sweppy12

County Cricketer
Profile Flag
Australia
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
Great stuff @blockerdave, im also currently playing through my own retro** tour (the 2006/07 ashes) looks like its going to follow the real life version as england are struggling to score

** Retro for a 20 year old, probably not retro for you lot ;)

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
I've also been continuing this tour...

I've played another ODI (my 25-over DI format), England vs Australia, with Australia winning comfortably. England were particularly unable t cope with Ray Bright's spin, falling to 116 all out in 17.4 overs. In reply, although a few wickets fell, a solid 41 from Border helping the home side to 5-wicket win.

ov0oZ1W.jpg

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
My in-progress match is the 1st test. currently just after lunch on day 3, with the Aussies in a commanding position.

After wining the toss and batting first, the Aussies crumbled to 197 all out inside the first 2 sessions. Border's 54 and Bright's 32 were vital in getting even that much, as Willis (4-51) and Botham (4-57) did the damage.

England couldn't take advantage, making only 236 and needing Bob Taylor (59) and Mike Brearley (43) to rescue them from a collapse. Lillee (4-86) was the chief wicket taker, although he was very expensive. Dymock (3-39) provided solid backup.

Australia have batted much better in the second innings, Border again providing the bulk of the runs currently unbeaten on 153. Chappell (53) and Marsh (50) have also provided great support in leading them to the fine position of 330/6 - a lead of 291 with 4 wickets in hand. Despite having recently taken the new ball, England are struggling on what has become a very flat pitch.

tnhs5BR.jpg

zimrahil

Retired Administrator
PlanetCricket Award Winner
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
England couldn't take advantage, making only 236 and needing Bob Taylor (59) and Mike Brearley (43)

This broke the immersion and I realised you were just playing a game. Took Mike at least 2 series to score that many runs :p

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
Australia ended up winning the 1st test comfortably.

Border ended up making 175 (the highest score i think an AI has ever made against me...) as Australia made 393 to set England 355 to win. England never got close, slumping to 170 all out, with Peter Willey's 92 the only bright spot. Willey enjoyed a good game, with the 92 coming off the back of 4-50 in Australia's second innings.

AWRc0Bn.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread