England in the 90s

It’s quarter to 7, the game has switched on floodlights that don’t exist in the ground, and Mushy has taken 2 in an over!!

Absolute scenes at Edgbaston.

Just about to upload the video... forgot until I was putting it together I was aided by 3 absolute bandit decisions from Barrie John Meyer turning down clear edges!!

Pakistan will be fuming.

With Derek Pringle inexplicably promoted to number 5 in the order AND doing a great impression of Geoff Boycott (or Nick Browne), England pull off the great escape and go to Lords at 0-0.

A case of Cuban cigars and a lifetime tab at Stringfellows may or may not be left in Barrie Meyer’s dressing room.

England reach 221/6 at the end of an attritional day 1 at Lords.

Pakistan won the toss and seduced by the grass on the pitch ignored the sunny skies and chose to bowl first. There was movement off the pitch but Pakistan bowled too short. Gooch and Stewart went through the morning session unbroken to lunch at 69/0 off 29 overs. England’s morning.

Then Stewart and Hick fell in consecutive balls in the first over after lunch!

Smith joined Gooch and steadied the ship but the skipper fell about 30 mins before tea for 44. Smith and Lamb reached the interval without further loss but scoring was very slow, 132/3 at tea. Pakistan’s afternoon.

Deja vu all over again as Smith fell in the first over after tea but then there was a good partnership between Lamb and Botham, broken when Lamb fell for 28. Lewis followed shortly after when the miserly Waqar got one to rear and catch the shoulder. At this point Pakistan were inching ahead without really deserving it.

However, the day ended about even as Botham and Russell got through to the close without further alarm.

Probably neither side entirely happy.

Pakistan made poor use of the pitch, only their spinners looked threatening. England had too many players getting in and not cashing in... Botham, currently top scorer with 46*, is probably the key here. Something substantial from England’s talisman and they’ll be ahead of the game, if he goes early on day 2 Pakistan will feel right in it.

A great start to his test career for debutant Ian Salisbury... first he makes a 3-ball duck, then:

[DOUBLEPOST=1608715481][/DOUBLEPOST]This is why, if you’re looking at your field and see someone at short leg rated 5 for the position, you don’t shrug your shoulders and say “I’m sure it’ll be fine”

Oh dear. At least he's only going to play another (checks notes) FOURTEEN tests!?

he’s actually a genuine burden in the field... I’ve made him too bad I think. He’s so poorly rated in almost all positions I’ve got to hide him at fine leg and that means the seam bowlers fielding in other positions and getting tired quickly

I made Salisbury way too bad... not a millimetre of turn!

In response to my 335 all out in last over before lunch day 2, with about an hour of the day left Pakistan are 166/1 off 40 overs(!) and my one wicket was a run out. Other than the botched short leg chance I’ve not even looked like taking a wicket.

Could be a long match!

Users who are viewing this thread