England 'jealous of IPL' - Kevin Pietersen

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
I assume he was mixing this with light hearted comments. I mean, talking about '2nd rate Australians' when his own team is playing a couple can't have been meant to be TOO serious.

Then again, I think he is probably right. England would love to either have an IPL of their own or to be involved in it. But KP struggles with the concept of a cricket calendar, how could more England players be involved when they are always busy in April/May? If IPL were in October/Nov, then there would be plenty of Englishmen there, it's just that teams don't want to buy players who have limited availability.

The ECB are probably a bit snooty about it though, particularly once Modi told them they needed to change their season to be involved in the Champions League.

barmyarmy

Retired Administrator
As he said on twitter the remarks are clearly taken out of context. It is a bit ridiculous how many English players failed to be picked up at auction though.

MUFC1987

Panel of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
I think it's a bit of a weird one. I mean he talks about negative press in the UK, but I'd argue that apart from the odd Cricket journalist taking a few swipes at it, it just receives very little press from the UK media. I mean the way I look at it, is that people need to identify with the teams taking part to care about it. So many people care about County Cricket in England because it's ingrained in them, they follow 'their' team. With the IPL, how is that possible?

It's no different from following any sport in another country, some people will, but the majority won't unless they have a good reason. A good reason in this case, would be seeing a load more England players in the teams. But then we'd probably tune in to watch them play and instead see them sat on the bench while, as KP puts it, some second rate Australian player gets a gig.

I don't care about it, because they give me no reason to care. I might take a look at the odd scorecard to see how someone like Alfonso Thomas is getting on, only to notice that he doesn't get a game, but Steve Smith, Jesse Ryder and Marlon Samuels do. I mean come on, if Thomas isn't injured, that's plain embarrassing.

I'll happily sit and wait for the T20 in England to come along, rather than watch a few quality players mixed with some International has-beens and never-weres, thank you very much.

Sureshot

Executive member
I think it's a bit of a weird one. I mean he talks about negative press in the UK, but I'd argue that apart from the odd Cricket journalist taking a few swipes at it, it just receives very little press from the UK media. I mean the way I look at it, is that people need to identify with the teams taking part to care about it. So many people care about County Cricket in England because it's ingrained in them, they follow 'their' team. With the IPL, how is that possible?

It's no different from following any sport in another country, some people will, but the majority won't unless they have a good reason. A good reason in this case, would be seeing a load more England players in the teams. But then we'd probably tune in to watch them play and instead see them sat on the bench while, as KP puts it, some second rate Australian player gets a gig.

I don't care about it, because they give me no reason to care. I might take a look at the odd scorecard to see how someone like Alfonso Thomas is getting on, only to notice that he doesn't get a game, but Steve Smith, Jesse Ryder and Marlon Samuels do. I mean come on, if Thomas isn't injured, that's plain embarrassing.

I'll happily sit and wait for the T20 in England to come along, rather than watch a few quality players mixed with some International has-beens and never-weres, thank you very much.

This, it's still my team that can win matches/trophies, not some franchise.

I switched it on the other day, it is on ITV4 (ooh, big channel!!!), horrific presentation, the cricket itself I could watch, but constant adverts, presenters who seem to know as much about cricket as Colin knows about not wearing kilts, put me off it.

I imagine the actual games themselves are fun to go to, T20 is a good night out.

The timing issue won't change, I can't see how we could alter the calendar with our wet October's.

Howsie

Chairman of Selectors

Wait, what?

Sedition

Panel of Selectors
Just confirms what KP said about England being jealous. Why are these international players getting games over [random unknown]?!

Marsh, Bollinger, Smith, Dave Hussey, Lee, White, Gilchrist, Faulkner, Maxwell.. all have been starring in this edition of the IPL and would walk into any England side.

StinkyBoHoon

National Board President
I'm not sure why any sort of jealousy would would stop english players playing in the IPL if they want to. that could be more of the IPL teams tit for tat, the ECB was one of the boards that put road blocks in the way when it first began, the first edition contained no, or at least very few, english players and they didn't make it easy for their players to compete. they're on board now but remember when all the pakistani players were just conveniently not bid on? could be more of that, with a sort of "well if you hate it so much you're not playing." good english players were left unsold even after going into the auction this year.

it's clear there is some animosity to the event though, both by fans, media and the ECB alike.

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
Just confirms what KP said about England being jealous. Why are these international players getting games over [random unknown]?!

Marsh, Bollinger, Smith, Dave Hussey, Lee, White, Gilchrist, Faulkner, Maxwell.. all have been starring in this edition of the IPL and would walk into any England side.

Channeling your inner KP with ridiculous statements? :D How would Steve Smith or James Faulkner or Maxwell walk into England's Test team?? Or even T20 team? The others are closer, but none of them make it either: Gilchrist walks in ahead of Prior? Maybe Shaun Marsh in form would bat #6 for England in Tests, that's about it.

Sedition

Panel of Selectors
Yeah, slight exaggeration there, but they're all closer to international level than a lot of the no-names I see in the IPL.

barmyarmy

Retired Administrator

More specifically into the England U12s side.

Sedition

Panel of Selectors
Didn't Magoffin just arrive in England and take 30 wickets in his first match? Good thing Hughes has been delayed by a month, would have been named Wisden cricketer of the year already.

barmyarmy

Retired Administrator
It's April. Best time to be a bowler. Not sure any team has scored more than 350 yet apart from against the universities.

Sureshot

Executive member
Yeah, it was about 6C and overcast for that match when Magoffin grabbed those wickets.

Users who are viewing this thread