England ODI and T20 Squads

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
England ODI and T20 squads Andrew Strauss* (ODI capt), Paul Collingwood (T20 capt), James Anderson, Ian Bell, Tim Bresnan, Steve Davies (wk), Eoin Morgan, Craig Kieswetter** (wk), Kevin Pietersen, Ajmal Shahzad, Graeme Swann, James Tredwell, Chris Tremlett, Jonathan Trott, Chris Woakes, Luke Wright, Michael Yardy

England in Australia, 2010-11: Chris Woakes in, Ravi Bopara excluded for limited-overs leg | England Cricket News | ESPN Cricinfo

Both squads look to be good, thought Bopara was starting to get some where after his all round effort against Bangladesh but his average series against Pakistan will probably cost him a WC spot.

War

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Not sure why the picked 17-man squad, given they will only be taken 15 to the world cup.

So basically 2 odd players out are:

- Tredwell

- One of Shazad/Tremlett/Woakes. Its going to be a big series for these 3, since ENGs ODI bowling options are very limiited & unproven now that Broad is out.

I seriously hope Graham Napier recovers from his back injury & gets playing playing domestic cricket in New Zealand this january. He is a must pick in the ODI team currently.

A bit disppointed Kieswetter is now being only picked in T20s. The selectors axed him a bit too hastily after his struggle vs AUS in the ODI earlier this summer for Davies. Davies athough he is fine, didn't give a compelling case why he should be ODI keeper ahead CK based on his mixed results vs PAK. So i'm for CK being # 1 in ODIs & T20s.

Think Peter Trego should have ben considered ahead of Luke Wrght as well. Trego is a better batsman than him for sure, although their bowling is not much of a difference.

Bopara is useless & shouldn't be anywhere near the ODI/T20 set-up either.

Once all are fit, this would be my ENG WC squad:

Strauss
Kieswetter/Davies
Bell/Trott
KP
Colly
Morgan
Yardy
Napier
Swann
Broad
Anderson

Bell/Trott
CK/SD
Trego
Bresnan (although performances of Tremlett, Shazad, Woakes in AUS could get them a nod ahead of Bresnan)

Last edited:

Sureshot

Executive member
Napier? :D Captain average to the rescue!

Given his improvements, can't see how Bopara is useless, even if his England performances haven't been great, he has gone back to county cricket and worked on his game with impressive results.

I think the 17-man squad is so they can try other players if need be. Some questions to be answered, least not the absence of Broad, who will replace him?

Lee1981

International Coach
Someone explain to me how prior is not our wk?

What has he done wrong in the last 12-18 months, davies and kw are not as good as him, kw is very over rated in my opinion

Ayub 95

Club Cricketer
Someone explain to me how prior is not our wk?

What has he done wrong in the last 12-18 months, davies and kw are not as good as him, kw is very over rated in my opinion

Prior in OD cricket in general can't hit the gaps after the powerplays are done, also Kieswetter and Davies are more attacking than him up the order which gives England the imputes they need in the first 10-15 overs.

Lee1981

International Coach
Prior in OD cricket in general can't hit the gaps after the powerplays are done, also Kieswetter and Davies are more attacking than him up the order which gives England the imputes they need in the first 10-15 overs.

From what ive seen of kieswetter he gets out very cheaply, alright he might score a 20 from 20 balls say but id rather have prior lower down grabbing a match winning 50 from 80, im not against kieswetter in the 20/20 side but prior all day long for the one dayers,
Im not having that prior is not capable of finding the gaps he's not exactly a negative batsmen is he?

MUFC1987

Panel of Selectors
Prior would only be good in the One Day side if he batted somewhere between 3 and 5 and was allowed to build an innings. But he's not better than KP, Collingwood etc, so that's not going to happen.

Bit dissappointed Kieswetter and even Hildreth didn't make the One Day squad. They were the two stand out batsman in the EPP squad in Australia, yet it doesn't seem to matter.

Also feel sorry for Bopara, he should have gotten the chance up the order last summer that Bell always seems to get. Bopara is a quality One Day player at 3 or 4, but he's never been given a chance there, even when KP was out injured which was the time.

Sureshot

Executive member
I'd prefer Davies over Kieswetter, he's the better player. Kieswetter didn't have much of a chance though.

MUFC1987

Panel of Selectors
Keeping? probably. Batting? I don't think so. Kieswetter just seems to have been pidgeon-holed as some pinch hitter, when he's more in the Trescothick mold, in that he'll score quickly naturally, but he's still a decent batsman. I just think they both should have been picked for the ODIs, as far as the squad is concerned. If Davies has a shocker, what happens for the World Cup? We either have a player out of International form, or one just out of Internationals.

Sureshot

Executive member
Davies is the better keeper, I think they are fairly even in the batting stakes.

Well (and I know this is a fairly pointless statement to make given what's been happening), I don't think we should be constantly changing players because of drops in form, yes if it's over a prolonged period, but I wouldn't count a series as long enough to dismiss someones ability.

Stability is the key to any success.

MUFC1987

Panel of Selectors
Stability if it's a proven player, sure. I mean, I wouldn't drop a Pietersen, Swann or Anderson no matter how bad they are in this series, but that's not the same with a player who's just coming into the team and hasn't proven their ability yet. I mean sure, Davies might come in and be brilliant, but I just think this close to the WC, why not take a backup? There's no other position in that team which isn't covered by at least one backup player in that squad, so why isn't the WK? And like I said, Kieswetter has been in excellent form in Australia too, so it's not like he's still in the poor form of the middle part of last season.

War

Chairman of Selectors
Napier? :D Captain average to the rescue!

Not sure what you mean by this. But Napier AFAIS is a must pick in a full strenght ENG ODI squad now.

Now that Flintoff is retired. Behind Anderson & Broad, Napier is the best qualified ODI seamer we have & as i mentioned once he recovers from his back injury - he is must pick. ENG aren't in a position to ignore such a bowler.

Poster King_Pietersen would agree.

Given his improvements, can't see how Bopara is useless, even if his England performances haven't been great, he has gone back to county cricket and worked on his game with impressive results.

Ok. So he went back to county cricket last season & when those so called impressive improvements where tested vs againts a quality PAK ODI side in the summer, nothing had changed. He was then correctly dropped by the selectorts immediately for Ian Bell (after his hundred in the C&G trophy final) & has not being picked for the series in AUS).

So like me the selectors aren't convinced by his improvement. Which is why he is not in the squad.

I think the 17-man squad is so they can try other players if need be. Some questions to be answered, least not the absence of Broad, who will replace him?

Well yes no that i think about it given that its still a lottery who will replace Broad. You probably will have to try out all of Tremlett/Shazad/Waokes who are all unproven, to see who is ODI/T20 quality.

Also i just realised where is Michael Lumb???. He is fit again & last i checked is going to be playing for queensland in the BIG Bash. Crazy that he is not in the T20 squad @ least & a joker like Tredwell is in...:facepalm

War added 11 Minutes and 29 Seconds later...

Also feel sorry for Bopara, he should have gotten the chance up the order last summer that Bell always seems to get. Bopara is a quality One Day player at 3 or 4, but he's never been given a chance there, even when KP was out injured which was the time.

Not sure i'd agree with this.

Firslty over his agree some of his best ODI batting has come with him batting @ # 6 playing a sort of finisher role:

- WC 07 innings vs PAK
- O7 ODI vs India @ Old Trafford
- 1st ODI vs PAK this summer (although id say PAK didn't start playing proper ODI cricket until the middle of that series)

Plus of course lets not forget he had an extended period opening, which is pretty much the place the bat in ODIs & T20s & he failed to capitalise in that role. Something other middle-order bats by trait like M Waugh, Watson, Dilshan, Tendy, Lara (for a period), Chanderpaul, Astle for eg have done over the years in ODIs.

War added 8 Minutes and 0 Seconds later...

Stability if it's a proven player, sure. I mean, I wouldn't drop a Pietersen, Swann or Anderson no matter how bad they are in this series, but that's not the same with a player who's just coming into the team and hasn't proven their ability yet. I mean sure, Davies might come in and be brilliant, but I just think this close to the WC, why not take a backup? There's no other position in that team which isn't covered by at least one backup player in that squad, so why isn't the WK? And like I said, Kieswetter has been in excellent form in Australia too, so it's not like he's still in the poor form of the middle part of last season.

Ye. Plus i wouldn't say he was out of form really if you think about it.

Its just that top quality AUS pace attack @ the back end of the ODI series with Tait bowling as well as he ever bowled, exposed his technical flaw to inswingers & he didn't adjust. Which is no shame since the way Tait was bowling i doubt any other international opener would have done better, even with a perfect technique.

So really Kieswetter should have gotten the following ODI series vs PAK to redeem himself or fail, but they dropped him way too quick.

Davies had a decent but unspectacular series vs PAK in the ODIs/T20s. At his best he wouldn't outscore Strauss in the power-play overs. So for me in a full strenght ENG ODI top 6:

Strauss
Kieswetter
Bell
KP
Colly
Morgan

We can afford to have a man like Kieswetter to go out with license to go ballistic in the pwer play overs, with the kind of batting depth to come behind him.

Sureshot

Executive member
Michael Lumb? He was average in the T20 WC as he's an average player.

War

Chairman of Selectors
Michael Lumb? He was average in the T20 WC as he's an average player.

Come on now. Way over the top that to say that based one series. Even if he didn't set the world on fire wit his peformances in the T20 WC.

He has all the basis skills to be a decent T20 opener for ENG & he showed glimpses of his potential in T20 WC with all those starts he got. Surely now that he is fit again, one should give him a chance to see if he can take his international game to the next level, before you axe him??.

Sureshot

Executive member
Seen him play several times at domestic level to say he just looks average. Though, you're right, you can't base someone on one series, but I'm not.

Users who are viewing this thread