England vs Australia Ashes 2015

toby123

Club Captain
I was reading an article on BBC recently BBC Sport - England's Ashes issues: Moeen Ali, Sam Robson and bowlers
And included in this article was Micheal Vaughan's 2015 Ashes XI:
1. Alastair Cook 2. Alex Hales 3. Gary Ballance 4. Ian Bell 5. Joe Root 6. Ben Stokes 7. Jos Buttler 8. Moeen Ali 9. Stuart Broad 10. Steven Finn 11. James Anderson.
I was surprised that he had put Stokes at 6, dropped Moeen to 8(Although you will see i also put him in at 8) and brought in Steven Finn.
I think Hales is probably ready for test and we are desperate for a new opener after Robson failed in the India series.
This would be my line up:
1.Cook 2.Hales 3.Ballance 4.Bell(Debatable) 5.Root 6.Ravi Patel 7.Buttler 8.Moeen 9.Jordan 10.Broad 11.Anderson
What do you guys think?

Benauds appreci

Club Cricketer
Seems ok to me....unless someone not in squad has a stonking season formwise. Gotta play the men who are in form.

KingPair

School Cricketer
I like the sound of Hales opening. Think the team needs some more fluent play at the top, especially on the flatter pitches.

Just look what Hayden & Sehwag did over the years -- transferring their one day form to the tests.

toby123

Club Captain
I like the sound of Hales opening. Think the team needs some more fluent play at the top, especially on the flatter pitches.

Just look what Hayden & Sehwag did over the years -- transferring their one day form to the tests.
Yep, can't wait to see what he can do in ODI

SpitfiresKent

ICC Board Member
ZIM...
Profile Flag
England
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
A lot of cricket to be played before the Ashes comes round again. I'd like to see Robson have a few more matches personally.

bigred

Club Captain
I was reading an article on BBC recently BBC Sport - England's Ashes issues: Moeen Ali, Sam Robson and bowlers
And included in this article was Micheal Vaughan's 2015 Ashes XI:
1. Alastair Cook 2. Alex Hales 3. Gary Ballance 4. Ian Bell 5. Joe Root 6. Ben Stokes 7. Jos Buttler 8. Moeen Ali 9. Stuart Broad 10. Steven Finn 11. James Anderson.
I was surprised that he had put Stokes at 6, dropped Moeen to 8(Although you will see i also put him in at 8) and brought in Steven Finn.
I think Hales is probably ready for test and we are desperate for a new opener after Robson failed in the India series.
This would be my line up:
1.Cook 2.Hales 3.Ballance 4.Bell(Debatable) 5.Root 6.Ravi Patel 7.Buttler 8.Moeen 9.Jordan 10.Broad 11.Anderson
What do you guys think?

Assume you either mean Ravi Bopara or Samit Patel to bat 6. Ravi Patel definitely isn't a number 6 and is not a good enough bowler to be anywhere near the squad.

Even with Patel S or Bopara we'd be going in with 3 full time bowlers and 2 part time, in your 11. Would prefer Woakes in at 6 and then Finn in to replace Jordan.

toby123

Club Captain
Assume you either mean Ravi Bopara or Samit Patel to bat 6. Ravi Patel definitely isn't a number 6 and is not a good enough bowler to be anywhere near the squad.

Even with Patel S or Bopara we'd be going in with 3 full time bowlers and 2 part time, in your 11. Would prefer Woakes in at 6 and then Finn in to replace Jordan.
Yep sorry meant samit patel:p

bigred

Club Captain
Interesting. Why do you think we need two spinners in England? Or do you simply think Samit is one of the best 6 bats in the country?

toby123

Club Captain
Interesting. Why do you think we need two spinners in England? Or do you simply think Samit is one of the best 6 bats in the country?
I think that we need a back up to moeen ali, also i think hes a good batsmen so he would fit perfectly considering we are quite short on spinners, in addition hes a left armer

miggo97

School Cricketer
I think Sam Robson is definitely one for the future. He's got a test match hundred to his name he just had a bad series with the bat against India. Ben Stokes just doesn't cut it for me, can't see him being in the team much longer. Not getting a decent score since his hundred in Australia, he also hasn't done much with the ball. Moeen Ali would still be my front line spinner but maybe Briggs or Borthwick if they show their talent.

So Cook and Robson at the top of the order with Gary Ballance still in at three but I wouldn't mind seeing him drop to number four if Jonathan Trott shows form again. Ian Bell in that number four or number five role depending on the Trott situation. Joe Root another certainty at number five or six. Buttler is a certainty at number 7 no question about it.

Moeen Ali could be at number 6 or 8 depending on the situation. If Ali is in at number six then I would Chris Woakes in that position shows he has potential in all three formats, good with the ball and has championship hundreds. Stuart Broad in at number 9 and Steven Finn and James Anderson taking ten and eleven respectively.

1. Alastair Cook (c)
2. Sam Robson
3. Gary Ballance/ Jonathan Trott
4. Ian Bell/Gary Ballance
5. Joe Root/Ian Bell
6. Mo Ali/Joe Root
7. Jos Buttler
8. Chris Woakes/Mo Ali
9. Stuart Broad
10. Steven Finn
11. James Anderson

bigred

Club Captain
Think it's 50/50 between Hales and Adam Lyth for the number 2 spot now. Hales hasn't done enough in the ODIs to say it's his and Lyth just added another daddy hundred to his collection this year.

Users who are viewing this thread