English Football Thread 2012/2013

Who will win the 2012/13 Premier League?

• Manchester City

Votes: 9 25.0%
  • Manchester Utd

Votes: 19 52.8%
  • Arsenal

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Spurs

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Newcastle

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • Chelsea

Votes: 6 16.7%
  • Everton

Votes: 1 2.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

thedon5

Panel of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Wow I'm getting sick of all these Man Utd vs Man City arguments.

Both teams buy players, Man Utd hugely in the past, Man City now. It's needed to make it easier to start competing at the top level.

Sure, now the argument is that Man Utd develop youth, but really, that's after laying the foundation with purchases. Who's to say in twenty years time that Man City won't have also started nurturing young talent? Honestly, sure, Man City buy players now, but wait a bit before truly judging. You also need a manager willing to nurture talent, Mancini obviously isn't completely into that yet with Balotelli on his hands being his main young talent. SAF is obviously very gifted when it comes to young talent.

Oh and gloryhunters... I'm not sure why they are being referred to as city fans, but I believe a gloryhunter is someone who wants to support the team that wins... That would be a large majority of Utd fans, maybe quite a few of the newer City fans. But if anyone is a gloryhunter, it's a Man Utd fan, laughable to see it mentioned so much in this thread for just Man City fans.

Transfer tables are a joke too, just look at how much Utd spend. World record for Rio Ferdinand, 31 m and 20 m for two non first XI players, Berbatov and Anderson respectively, and the list goes on... Man Utd have broken the British transfer record FIVE TIMES since 1993, that's big. So don't ever try and say Man Utd don't buy, they buy a shedload.

Lee1981

International Coach
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Well bloody said.

As a chelsea fan ive had to live with all the you have bought all your success since roman came in.

And yeah without his cash we would have won f all.., that don't bother me at all.

As long as we win i dont care how we do it.. good luck to city,,its there turn now..

sattar

Club Captain
@thedon5. Exactly every team buy not only City or Chelsea.

KBC

Panel of Selectors
Transfer tables are a joke too, just look at how much Utd spend. World record for Rio Ferdinand, 31 m and 20 m for two non first XI players, Berbatov and Anderson respectively, and the list goes on... Man Utd have broken the British transfer record FIVE TIMES since 1993, that's big. So don't ever try and say Man Utd don't buy, they buy a shedload.

Anderson's been out with Injury this season, if you're into finding a loophole with purchases of players who haven't featured much. Now if we start the same argument with City...never mind how many City players with 200,000 pounds a week playing for another club or warm the benches or Sit out in Argentina or have their careers ruined.

Your last line is also a contradiction, if that's at my tag line 'United earn success and City buys' you're obviously mistaken. United spend where necessary, scout throughout the world, and go for the switch. Never said United don't spend, as opposed to City where they buy half of arsenal and bunch of money suckers from United and a couple of well-doers from their 'scouting'. No?..

There are endless arguments against City compared to United's. Not that it matters, but a buttload of fans think just because they have money on their side they can go about mocking everyone.

We can close the Success ---- right here. Let's just wait for the end of the season where it ALL matters.

Ollie_H

Chairman of Selectors
Wow I'm getting sick of all these Man Utd vs Man City arguments.

Both teams buy players, Man Utd hugely in the past, Man City now. It's needed to make it easier to start competing at the top level.

Sure, now the argument is that Man Utd develop youth, but really, that's after laying the foundation with purchases. Who's to say in twenty years time that Man City won't have also started nurturing young talent? Honestly, sure, Man City buy players now, but wait a bit before truly judging. You also need a manager willing to nurture talent, Mancini obviously isn't completely into that yet with Balotelli on his hands being his main young talent. SAF is obviously very gifted when it comes to young talent.

Oh and gloryhunters... I'm not sure why they are being referred to as city fans, but I believe a gloryhunter is someone who wants to support the team that wins... That would be a large majority of Utd fans, maybe quite a few of the newer City fans. But if anyone is a gloryhunter, it's a Man Utd fan, laughable to see it mentioned so much in this thread for just Man City fans.

If you're having a go at me, you've basically just re-hashed what I said. But you seem to be getting the credit for it.

thedon5

Panel of Selectors
If you're having a go at me, you've basically just re-hashed what I said. But you seem to be getting the credit for it.

Eh, well tbh I didn't really read much of the last page, it was just needless Man City vs Man Utd fanboy banter which dosen't interest me at all and also ruins the thread.

thedon5

Panel of Selectors
Anderson's been out with Injury this season, if you're into finding a loophole with purchases of players who haven't featured much. Now if we start the same argument with City...never mind how many City players with 200,000 pounds a week playing for another club or warm the benches or Sit out in Argentina or have their careers ruined.

Your last line is also a contradiction, if that's at my tag line 'United earn success and City buys' you're obviously mistaken. United spend where necessary, scout throughout the world, and go for the switch. Never said United don't spend, as opposed to City where they buy half of arsenal and bunch of money suckers from United and a couple of well-doers from their 'scouting'. No?..

There are endless arguments against City compared to United's. Not that it matters, but a buttload of fans think just because they have money on their side they can go about mocking everyone.

We can close the Success ---- right here. Let's just wait for the end of the season where it ALL matters.

Buying Berbatov and putting him on the bench seems pretty needless to me, Welbeck is a good player but in the end Berbatov was top scorer last season and has for a while been a hit man up front, so I can't see why when you pay that much for him he wouldn't play more. When you spend that much on a player you expect him to be a regular in the team for a longer time than he was. Very needless.

Anderson was 20 m when he signed, for a 19 year old. Even when he hasn't been injured he has struggled to get a consistent run in the team. He is far from a world beater.

That is also a huge amount when you take into account a certain other fellow was signed for half that then sold for a cool 80 m...

Fergie makes poor purchases too, it's a joke to think any manager no matter how great signs only great players. Anderson is far from where he should be by now. Plus, Bebe anyone?

City are buying talented players. They have the money so I don't see why not. They want success now, and other people, such as me and you need to see this success so they'll be taken much more seriously and not considered "not quite there yet". Man Utd used to do this. Na$ri, far from good, but take a look at how good Silva was at the start of the season, as well as Yaya, Kompany, etc. City buy good players, and it is obviously necessary. For example, more strikers were neccessary with the whole Balotelli situation, Tevez's homesickness and the question marks over Dzeko.

All teams do buy players when neccesary. It's a fact. But tell me this, was it completely necessary that 20 m was spent on a young keeper? Was it necessary that 20 m each was spent on both De Gea and Young? Was it necessary that 16 m be spent on Phil Jones? That is a huge amount to spend on players, just like Man City did. Nurturing young talent is one thing, nurturing expensive young talent is another, much easier thing to do. He could've taken the cheaper route, but no, he had to spend huge as usual, as Man City would do.

I won't deny Man City's wage tactic is dirty, spending that bloody much on wages with people like Wayne Bridge earning more than RVP... But oh well, I suppose they're cashflow shows they aren't fully coping.

Let's face it, all teams buy a lot, it just happens that since City spend slightly more than Utd at this stage Utd fans feel they have a right to start accusing City fans of being gloryhunters and of ruining the game.

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
Hmmm. Although Berbatov had a great year last year, he's never really settled in as a 'proper' Utd player in my opinion. It would've been better had we used the money to keep hold of Tevez - say what you like about the guy, but he's one hell of a player.

Re the Man Utd v Man City argument, well we're just going to have to agree to disagree (especially as far as The Don's new sig is concerned. :p ) The argument has run its course as far as I'm concerned and we can hardly expect City and Utd fans to agree with each other. The only time that happened was when both sets of fans were idiotically chucking their Tevez shirts in the skip. I would've kept hold of it and sold it on Ebay at a later date - but that's just me. Never had a Tevez shirt in the first place.

Well, I started supporting Utd shortly after the '86 World Cup and various family members were Utd fans as well before that. Don't remember Utd winning a great deal back then. ;)
I won't deny Man City's wage tactic is dirty, spending that bloody much on wages with people like Wayne Bridge earning more than RVP... But oh well, I suppose they're cashflow shows they aren't fully coping.

Which comes back to my statement about 'foundation'. ;)

Last edited:

thedon5

Panel of Selectors
Tevez is amazing. I love how he dosen't want to be in Manchester yet still gives 100%.

Not all Man Utd fans are glory hunters, most people who recently started to support the club are glory hunters.

Buying a huge amount of players is annoying to some people, but I have realised it's good, as it brings the standard of a team up much higher, therefore meaning more competition and more excitement in my favourite league, the most exciting in the world IMO. I am glad that things have taken a turn and now seven clubs are considered heavyweights, as opposed to just four...

Last edited:

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
That's fair enough, but I'd be happier if City were seen to be putting more money into the development of English players for the benefit of the England team.

----------

I think there should be some sort of rule to the effect that if a big foreign owner is going to come in and take over an English club, then some of their investment must go towards the development of the England team.

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
Some basketball star's launched a Liverpool boot, but the designers have made a bit of a cock-up, which is going to annoy the Liverpool fans. :D From Yahoo:

However, the trophy used to represent the club's league triumphs appears to be modelled on the Premier League trophy ? a trophy that the club has never won.

Instead, all of Liverpool's 18 triumphs came before 1993 when the trophy design was changed.

The trainer also cannot use the official Liverpool crest as they are made by Nike and the Reds official suppliers (currently Adidas, soon to be Warrior Sports) so it instead uses an emblem that is "directly inspired by the Liverpool crest"

Oooops... :p

puddleduck

Chairman of Selectors
Bit harsh considering City invested a considerably large sum into their youth academies. They also have the England keeper in their ranks, as well as someone who should have been playing at right back the last year. Oh and a couple of central midfielders and a winger...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread