English Football Thread 2013/14

Who will win the Premiership?

• Total voters

thedon5

Panel of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Honestly Man City have the easiest two teams they could have come up against barring a relegated side.

Skater

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
Sunderland, 13 points from the last 15. Remarkable.

Oh well, it's Brentford, Blackpool and Huddersfield for us next season. At least we get the derby back.

Haarithan

Chairman of Selectors
I still back Villa to get a win over City.

:lol There's a reason I had an Everton avi a week back, and an Andy - Downing avi right now, but not an Aston Villa one...

Anyway, delighted for Poyet, Borini and Sunderland. Now, if only we could have Fabio for our game against Newcastle and fish Moses back off to West London..

ParkedTheBus

International Coach
Profile Flag
Australia
The FA have proposed "B" teams like those in Spain and Germany , and a new league 3 in between League 2 and Conference. These B teams cannot take part in FA cup and league Cup and cannot get promoted past League 1. The league 3 will be made of 10 B teams and 10 conference teams. I am for this proposal , sounds good :yes

Skater

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
The FA have proposed "B" teams like those in Spain and Germany , and a new league 3 in between League 2 and Conference. These B teams cannot take part in FA cup and league Cup and cannot get promoted past League 1. The league 3 will be made of 10 B teams and 10 conference teams. I am for this proposal , sounds good :yes

It's a bad idea. Well meaning, but bad.

For one thing it is the FA believing that the ordinary fan would rather the England team did well above their own clubs. I haven't got any figures on this, but I would bet everything I had on the majority putting their club before their country.

If you think about the fans of the lower league clubs, this proposal will end up with someone like Cheltenham Town playing against Man City B. A fixture like that goes against everything that 125 years of the English league system has been built upon - a club against a club, a city against a city.

The idea may be intended to improve the England team but in the first instance the only thing it will do is improve the top clubs. Everyone below 10th place in the Premier League is feeling disillusioned with the whole thing already without this adding to it.

There will, I think, be so much opposition to this that I can't see it ever getting off the ground. And rightly so.

khaleel

Club Captain
Wasn't the Professional Development League started just a season ago? I think it is going good but we need to wait and see before jumping to conclusions about completely replacing it.

If the new system does get implemented, I see the B teams of clubs like Chelsea and United playing in League 1 or League 2 while the smaller teams like Hull City or West Brom have their B teams plying their trade in the Conference within two or three years.

It would also mean that loans would be reduced to a minimum and clubs like Everton who have made high use of the loan system with young players like Lukaku will suffer. So it would be better if we stick to separate first team and reserve team systems.

War

Chairman of Selectors
Interesting stat on skysports news speaking about which teams have spent the most days at the top of the league this season:

Arsenal - 128
Chelsea - 64
Liverpool - 59
Man City - 15

Last edited:

ste_mc_efc

Chairman of Selectors
Interesting stat on skysports news speaking about which teams have spent the most weeks at the top of the league this season:

Arsenal - 128
Chelsea - 64
Liverpool - 59
Man City - 15

I was just thinking this season has dragged on a bit, now I know why.

War

Chairman of Selectors
decent article against the idea

Feeding the future - ESPN FC

Greg Dyke's plan for Premier League B teams will end in disaster... just like in Spain | Mail Online

Another one here, with a interesting counter idea to the B-team stuff:

quote said:
So what might be a way forward? No loan system and a clearly defined Under 23 league for top level club academy players, outside the pyramid, with a trophy, a financial incentive, and a proper television contract.

What if two slots each weekend were set aside for live Under 23 league matches - 10.45 to 12.30 on Saturday and 12 until 2 on Sunday - serving as a taster for the Premier League action later? People would watch their team; they might tune in to see a top-of-the-table clash, too, or an individual with a growing reputation.

In the early days of television, before saturation coverage made every game available, Johnny Haynes became a name overnight for his performance in a match between England and Scotland schoolboys

ParkedTheBus

International Coach
Profile Flag
Australia
An u-23 league would be of little to no use. No club picks their player based on an u-21 match. At least the "b" teams' matches would have a competitive atmosphere since they play against professionals. It has worked wonders at Spain and Germany , when it comes to producing quality players , and why can't it happen in England as well? The attendances are a valid argument , but the positives outweigh the negatives , IMHO.

Users who are viewing this thread