Fielding Experience for the Next Version

Gamer Pradosh

Survival Games Champion
India
CSK
Survival Games Champion
Profile Flag
India
So as we have started discussing very useful thoughts and ideas to make the batting and bowling part of the game I thought of making a thread to discuss the thoughts and ideas to make fielding in the game better...

Gamer Pradosh

Survival Games Champion
India
CSK
Survival Games Champion
Profile Flag
India
And to start off this thread my idea for fielding to make it better experience is shown in the below pic..

2015-10-19_00006.jpg
So basically my idea is to get the fielding in such a way that we can exploit the fielder skills on the field...

As it is in the pic I would like application of 3 skills over the head of the fielders when we look around:

-Strength
-Running
-Throw

Each fielder would have their own skills and a bowler after bowling a long spell would see himself with a much lower strength so that would also have factors of weather mainly humidity..
The skills must be reflected in the animations but not in the way like running slowly or jogging as its in this version but as he runs and tries to stop the ball ,the turn and the arm's throw everything will be based on his skills.

This will also be crucial in fielders kept near the boundary lines during slog overs, the chances of the fielder sliding and tapping the ball in would also depend on these skills...Otherwise even after tapping it back if the pace is more and the fielder's strength is low then this can even go past even after tapping or getting fingers to it [Like it happens in reality]...

Note: Its also acts as a small dedication to the little master secretly with the skills SRT [Sachin Ramesh Tendulkar] :D

whiteninness

Panel of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Yes, right now fielders are all basically identical. I never bother with who fields where.

Often they don't even have attributes assigned in the academy.

Acid Burn

International Coach
Profile Flag
South Africa
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
A little more awareness of where the wickets are when fielding the throws , and where the boundary rope is when fielding .

Very frustrating how they don`t "see" the rope when interacting with the ball when catching stopping boundaries.

The way that throws from the fielders sort of pushes the receiver back when catching it is not how it should look.

Its not a bowling ball that he is stopping .

cooks1st100

Panel of Selectors
definitely the game should stop having fast bowlers being the default slips, which is pretty rare.

players should be placed according to skills/attributes.

Maybe an option in the academy to select a player's favoured fielding area, slips, infield and outfield for example, then as you say, skills and attributes being used to place accordingly.

More lifelike animations (not diving to take a catch when all the fielder needs to do is take a step to his right), the apparent over-riding of attributes to take catches needs to be looked, keepers and fielders to be more fluid in regards to stumping attempts and picking up the ball and throwing and my biggest annoyance, fielders sliding to push the ball over the boundary when it wouldn't have reached it had they simply picked it up.

I must confess that I hardly ever played with manual fielding apart from a couple of times in career mode. So I can only base improvements in regards to automatic fielding.

Mr Snrub

International Cricketer
Definitely will be great if there's a little more depth to fielding in the next game. It's pretty decent for a first effort as is, but good to see some constructive ideas for the 3rd facet here. I don't play completely manual, but if that can be made a little better I'd definitely be keen to utilise it in a sequel, especially in short format games.

Ajh1977

International Coach
Profile Flag
England
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
I'd like to see the odd parry or fumble from the fielders, also tandem fielding when chasing the ball to the boundary one taps it back the other throws it in. And stumping a need to be fixed!

Mr Snrub

International Cricketer
I'd like to see the odd parry or fumble from the fielders, also tandem fielding when chasing the ball to the boundary one taps it back the other throws it in. And stumping a need to be fixed!

All of that would look pretty realistic if done well! Although top two of my list would be more realistic slides and stops on the boundary, without tumbles going over the line from so far away and throws back having more controllablly specific power and accuracy to decide how good they are.

D

Deleted member 149013

Fielding can be very frustrating at times

You have the fielders who walk to the ball.

Another fielding issue when you’re throwing back to the keeper or bowler another fielder can sometimes catch the ball.

Sluggish fielders who don’t want to move for the ball then all of a sudden dive onto the ball like it’s a grenade and take a lifetime standing back up.

Gamer Pradosh

Survival Games Champion
India
CSK
Survival Games Champion
Profile Flag
India
Another addition I would like to make to fielding is do not allow the fielders cross the boundary, if its a six let them just view the ball sailing over...

And if its a catch but can be done only jumping high the cam should go behind the fielder and the timing of the jump should be important to take such catches...

Another most important point camera angles when the ball goes around in the field, show the right fielder who is fielding the ball, do not confuse with too many camera swaps as it is in the current version...

kurtkz

Game Developer
So the way we did fielding in CH was as follows:

* each fielders has 5 attributes: running speed, strength, skill, awareness, fitness
* the game also keeps track of the players stamina which affects all of the above
* awareness is a measure of how quickly the fielder reacts to the situation (eg. the batsmen tip and run, or short leg realises that the ball popped off the pad)
* skill refers to how well the player dives, catches and also how accurately they throw
* fitness is a modifier for stamina - the higher your fitness the slower you lose stamina

Fielders can be assigned favourite fielding positions in the editor but we didn't have time to fill that in for the default roster. When assigning fielders the AI will assign faster fielders with strong arms to the outfield first and then assign the rest.

When chasing after a ball more than one fielder can go after it. There's a very basic message system in place. If a fielder thinks he'll get there the quickets he'll tell the closest fielders to him and they'll back off (unless they think he won't). You'll often see fielders diving on the boundary and another fielder collecting the rebound.

@Dutch

D

Dutch

Great stuff Kurt! Really interesting: I like the interaction going on between the fielders.....

D

Dutch

@kurtkz do you feel there are areas of fielding that could be developed more....I mean as an example reflexes has to be a huge part of fielding or agility....how to make a fielder like Paul Colingwoid or one like Monty Panesar...?

kurtkz

Game Developer
Correct - I kind of bundled that with skill unfortunately which makes fielders a little more uniform than they should be. If you play career mode however you'll find Panesar-esque fielders and Collingwoods (so bundling isn't all that bad actually). It's tricky though because you don't want to bog down player creation/editing with too many variables. It also makes it extremely difficult to track bugs when you have dozens of variables for player abilities.

Something like traits might actually work better, where a trait would modify your base ability. We did something a little more complicated where you could code your own trait, but again that's a ton of work and it's difficult to debug.[DOUBLEPOST=1445708774][/DOUBLEPOST]You could also implement BMT as a variable and calculate scoreboard pressure/match situation as a modifier which affects all the fielding variables.

Users who are viewing this thread