ICC Board Member
ZIM...
Profile Flag
England
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
Roger that. Unless Messi has an absolute blinder I don't see anything but a German victory and of course they'll have to do it in normal time as the Germans NEVER lose at penalties :p

thedon5

Panel of Selectors
Poor, poor move from van Gaal to bring on Huntelaar and not Krul. Deserved loss for the Dutchies.

War

Chairman of Selectors
I love the sub plot for the final now though.

Germany's golden generation that revamped its football after England beat them 5-1 in Munich, desperate for a world cup as a team, or forever be remembered in a similar vein to great dutch team of 74 & 78.

While for Argentina its all about Messi. Although i think its a bit harsh, he probably needs to win this world cup for reasons we all know.

Although he conceivably still be a very good player in Russia 2018 at age 31 & could win it then.

thedon5

Panel of Selectors
Seems like it from hindsight, but really - would you even think of bringing on Krul had van Gaal not brought him on against Costa Rica?

That's the whole problem really, he shouldn't have done it in the first place or he should've done it both times. Cillessen was never going to save a penalty when his manager didn't even trust him to do it earlier. The worst part is Huntelaar was a like-for-like substitution and he did nothing after coming on.

Awful move, he tries way too hard to make bold moves and it has cost him a World Cup final.

shravi

National Board President
Profile Flag
India
Germany's golden generation that revamped its football after England beat them 5-1 in Munich, desperate for a world cup as a team, or forever be remembered in a similar vein to great dutch team of 74 & 78.

While for Argentina its all about Messi. Although i think its a bit harsh, he probably needs to win this world cup for reasons we all know.

yup, that's why i'm not sure who i'm rooting for now

War

Chairman of Selectors
That's the whole problem really, he shouldn't have done it in the first place or he should've done it both times. Cillessen was never going to save a penalty when his manager didn't even trust him to do it earlier. The worst part is Huntelaar was a like-for-like substitution and he did nothing after coming on.

Awful move, he tries way too hard to make bold moves and it has cost him a World Cup final.

Ye i see what your saying on a tactical level, but on the larger scale of things despite that potential faux pas, LVG has done very well to even get this standard Dutch team to the semi finals.

On paper they really should not have come out that group, but they did all down to his tactics. Which as i mentioned before has pretty much redeemed himself on a international level for failing to qualify the far more talented, Bergkamp era side, for the 2002 cup.

thedon5

Panel of Selectors
Well honestly you look at his tactical decisions, even in the group stages these were mostly just corrections to mistakes he started out with. It may seem I am being overly harsh, but no, I think he did well with a decent team.

Users who are viewing this thread