Finn or Derbach for limited overs internationals?

jimwag007

School Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
Personally, i think finn is a more classic and agressive bowler, for example, aiming at the stumps with infrequent variation. But Dernbach is a more modern bowler using variations every ball! which one is better

Finn by a country mile. Dernbach is just awful but he is aggressive and has a good slower ball. He reminds me of Sreeshanth.

In my opinion Dernbach is better on different tracks compared to Finn. But Finn is more economical.

Steve Finn is very quick and so is Jade Derbach but Dernbach has more variety in pace and a good slower ball and will surely improve.I'd go with Dernbach.His variety will make him a good wicket-taker as his career progresses.

Dernbach is useless. He got dropped from the Melbourne Stars team in favour of Chris Simpson, who doesn't even have a state contract. His List A economy rate of over 6 speaks for itself.

Having said that, as an Australian I would love to see him in the English team. Some of their recent ODI selections make me smile because they're giving themselves a huge disadvantage before a ball is even bowled.

Finn, obviously edges Dernbach. Dernbach gets creamed everywhere he goes. Finn's much better than him.

Having said that, as an Australian I would love to see him in the English team. Some of their recent ODI selections make me smile because they're giving themselves a huge disadvantage before a ball is even bowled.

I agree, England don't seem to recognise that taking wickets is a way to win in all formats of the game.

For me it shouldn't be an either/or, although some do go rather simplistic. If I had to pick one I'd probably pick Dernbach as he doesn't play Tests and part of England's problem is they pick players for both formats then whinge something chronic about demanding tours and fatigue :facepalm

As noone has seen fit to post their stats, here's their respective England ODI stats to date :

Dernbach (13 ODIs) : 16 wkts @ 41.56 (ER 6.23, SR 40.00) BB 3/30 vs Ireland
Finn (11 ODIs) : 15 wkts @ 35.73 (ER 5.22, SR 41.07) BB 3/45 vs India

If you ignore Ireland, Dernbach has taken 13 wkts @ 48.85 (vs Sri Lanka and India), Finn has taken 13 wkts @ 40.00 (vs Australia and India) Dernbach got seriously tonked by India, 6.79 rpo over nearly 60 overs. Dernbach is three years and a day older than Finn.

Finn everyday of the week. I don't like Dernbachs bowling and he experiments far too much to be successful. His slower is barely average and that's meant to be his "secret" weapon (he seems to use it every other delivery) :facepalm

Neither since England does not need a ODI squad. They want the format cancelled.

Finn by a long way. Dernbach is just horrible, a little brat who bowls 5 slower balls an over. I really have no idea how he got anywhere near the England team there must have been better players in county cricket surely.

Finn does offer options. He does look like an ox that could bowl for weeks. :D

The real problem with Dernbach is that he does a disservice to bowlers who have really good slower balls. He should be producing fatal mistakes, not merely avoiding being slogged.

Finn by a long way. Dernbach is just horrible, a little brat who bowls 5 slower balls an over. I really have no idea how he got anywhere near the England team there must have been better players in county cricket surely.

There are 2 or 3 bowlers in the county scene who I would have above Dernbach but for some unknown reasons the selectors seemed very fond of him, as did a few guys on this forum.

Maybe the fact that he's not English born is why they're favouring him, like some others already performing well in the side.

It would be sad if English born and bred was counting against players, while I have no objection to quality players ELIGIBLE to play for England playing for England, I would still like to think it was infrequent. We can hardly say "sorry mate, you want to play for England but because you weren't born in England it's a no no", at the same time I wouldn't like to think we were positively discriminating towards them either.

Finn, all day long.
Dernbach is useful in T20's when you need to stop runs flowing, but for a 50 over game, id rather my strike bowlers be able to look threatening.
Also, I dont think he has a slower ball, if 5 of the balls in a over are slow and one fast, surely that means he is a slow bowler with a faster ball, and his faster ball isn't very threataning.

Users who are viewing this thread