footage of WG Grace, Ranji, Hobbs, Bradman etc

StinkyBoHoon

National Board President
CRICKET HIGHLIGHTS - British Pathe

found this link on a website, it traces the history of pre-war cricket, and while it would be a stretch to say the footage was brilliant, it's pretty incredible to see some of these players actually batting (and by sheer fortune it has Hobbs getting bowled)

Loads of other cricket videos from pre-war down the right too.

Dr. Pepper

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Thanks very much for the link. I'll have a lot of fun trawling through those videos. I've always been interested in seeing how these legends batted and what their technique was like etc.

drainpipe32

Chairman of Selectors
Wow, that fielding is atrocious! Even in the ones that aren't sped up they look quick between the wickets though. Gotta love the simple technique, or some will say the lack of one.

Dare

Chairman of Selectors
I like how the fielders sit down after the batsman (Hobbs?) is bowled.

Robelinda

International Coach
Ah these videos, I aquired a few of these quite some time ago, from BBC and some other sources in the UK, I even had to sign a confidentiality statement after obtaining some of them once! Most of the footage is nothing new, the BBC and ABC had released quite a lot of videos in the 80's with most of this footage.

For those who are computer savvy, there is a way to save ALL the videos off that site, i'm still in the process of doing it myself. Also, cricket australia has online access to every match channel 9 have ever shown......:spy

Last edited:

Adarsh

Panel of Selectors
I'm not meaning to be rude, but the technique from a biomechanics view is absolutely terrible and fielding as we all know was atrocious. This is why I firmly believe that the game has increased greatly in quality in modern times, and hence why it's sometimes hard to appreciate past legends.

TumTum

International Cricketer
For those who are computer savvy, there is a way to save ALL the videos off that site, i'm still in the process of doing it myself. Also, cricket australia has online access to every match channel 9 have ever shown......:spy

You mean the preview videos or the full ones?

Users who are viewing this thread