Former Sri Lanka captain Atapattu quits international cricket

baburao

Club Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
Former Sri Lanka captain quits international cricket

Atapattu announces his retirement

Cricinfo staff

November 20, 2007
Marvan Atapattu's comeback after two years out of Test cricket has been brief ? Getty Images

Marvan Atapattu, one of Sri Lanka's finest batsmen, has finished his eventful tour of Australia by ending his international career. Atapattu announced his retirement in a letter to Duleep Mendis, the Sri Lanka Cricket chief executive, before lunch on the final day of the second Test in Hobart.

He was due to face a hearing on his return to Sri Lanka for his outburst during the opening match in Brisbane when he said the Sri Lankan selectors were "muppets headed by a joker". Despite the complaints about the administration, he retained the support of his team-mates and signed off with a satisfying 80 as he gave Sri Lanka a chance of saving the second Test.

The decision is not a surprise as there have been reports he will lead Delhi Jets in the Indian Cricket League and he is also considering playing for the St George club in Sydney grade cricket. He has had a difficult relationship with the selectors since coming back from a serious back injury and was picked for the World Cup but did not play a game. He then refused to join the squad when chosen for the Bangladesh Test series and joined the touring party to Australia only after government intervention.

http://content-ind.cricinfo.com/ausvsl/content/current/story/321194.html

Last edited:
No surprise, I thought it would be coming after he made the comments about the selectors.

It's always a shame when a player retires. I don't remember seeing any of his special knocks, so I can't say much.

Good news for Sri Lanka is that Tharanga seems in good nick against England. So at least they can replace him.

Not a very nice way to go out after loosing the way they did to Australia.

Making 80 will do for him though. Must be good to have made as many double centuries as he has, good for England too! Quality player though

Not a very nice way to go out after loosing the way they did to Australia.

80 against the Aussies was a good effort. Plus they made a decent game of it in the last innings. I don't think it was the worst way to go. Not being selected and kinda retiring after not being wanted anymore would have been worse.

What a waste. He could have got runs against Englishmen too.

You could sense he wasn't really excited to be playing cricket. When he was fielding, he was having a bit of a laugh a lot of the time, and when he was batting he was having a go at everything, quite successfully though, played himself into some decent form. Added with the fact that he called the selectors muppets and jokers, I reckon he gave a few clues he was going to end it.

After Arvinda Desilva he was there best test batsmen till Sangakarra emerged. Well its always nive to retire when you are in good form rather than people booing you out. Now he can join ICL or IPL.

Quality player.
Was at a point in his career the best test bat in the world, knocking double century after double century with ease. Fantastic skip as well.
The 2003 world cup was his high, and was a fantastic career only ruined by luck in the later end of it.
Thanks for the entertainment mate, however frustrating it was to see him get runs against us in the Asia cup, it was a sight to see.

80 against the Aussies was a good effort. Plus they made a decent game of it in the last innings. I don't think it was the worst way to go. Not being selected and kinda retiring after not being wanted anymore would have been worse.

I agree but still not the nicest way to go out. 2-0 doesn't look that great. Sri Lanka really gave it a fight in their second innings in both games, more so in Hobart.

Yeah but the fact that 5 out of his first 6 innings were ducks in Test Cricket doesn't make him so envyable.
I think the fact that he scored a bunch of double centuries actually makes up for it and shows how easy it is to judge a batsman who may actually be quite good, prematurely.

Yeah, but that start to his career is hurrendous as a pure batsman and you wouldn't wish it on anyone. Not that he isn't a good batsman but it'd be hard to live with the fact that you started that poorly.

Users who are viewing this thread