Friendlies leading to the World Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.

sachin

International Coach
Online Cricket Games Owned
We weren't great in the first half,but closed their strikers down nicely in the second and we were looking very good shortly after we scored,real pity about the Red Card.After that we mostly defended,but what i will say is that even though the Dutch had many good chances,most of them were through our mistakes.We need to clean those up.I think we are really ready now,we get Kewell and Cahill back into the starting line-up and i give us a very good chance of defeating Japan!Go you Aussies!!!!!

James219

International Cricketer
I was impressed by Bresciano's performance- he held his position well and looked to dictate terms in a struggling first half side. Viduka was alright, although I've never really seen him play to his full potential in the green and gold. Schwarzer made a statement with the gloves last night; he played fantastically and was an integral part of Australia's effort. They didn't really string their passing game together as they can, as fluency was hard to come by due to the Dutch closing them down at every opportunity. Holland were easily the dominant outfit, but failed to convert after getting through the relatively weak defence and dormant first half midfield. They passed and progressed with more confidence in the second, so that's a positive.
I really believe Australia will compete in this Cup- (the papers are going on too much, though; they're talking about how the results of other games will affect this and that for us, but really, it's the first time they've qualified in 32 years, they just need to focus on the job at hand) as there were some good signs in the way they constructed their play, and that was in the absence of Kewell, and for 70 percent of the game, Cahill.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Seems to be quite a few people saying Brazil will struggle in the World Cup after the All Whites only lost 4-0 2 of the goals coming in the last 10 minutes.
Brazil should be fine for mind, they will hit full steam come the WC.

jdbais

International Cricketer
aussie1st said:
Seems to be quite a few people saying Brazil will struggle in the World Cup after the All Whites only lost 4-0 2 of the goals coming in the last 10 minutes.
Brazil should be fine for mind, they will hit full steam come the WC.

Weren't people saying that about Brazil last World Cup and look what happened.

MWaugh

International Coach
australia might have held the dutch to a draw which is great. however the defence they showed didnt give me any hopes of a great performance in germany. schwatz did a great job but the defence was woeful as far as im concerned. nothing like the backline that held tight against uruguay. brazil would have split us 9 ways till sunday if we had of given ronaldo, ronaldinho, adriano and kaka space and chances like that

EDIT - I also just wanted to point out that i dont feel that kalac should have even been given a chance against greece. he had a shocking game yet thought he did ok. they guy doesnt even play first team football. granted he plays for AC Milan but is there something special about their benches? i doubt it

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
jdbais said:
Weren't people saying that about Brazil last World Cup and look what happened.

Can't remember but I'm sure the French were favourites! Brazil just go by with their stars and then before you know it they have won the World Cup. What I've read at other forums people are saying if someone can stop Brazil in attack then their tactic of "we can out score you" goes out the window. Easier said than done of course.

MWaugh said:
australia might have held the dutch to a draw which is great. however the defence they showed didnt give me any hopes of a great performance in germany. schwatz did a great job but the defence was woeful as far as im concerned. nothing like the backline that held tight against uruguay. brazil would have split us 9 ways till sunday if we had of given ronaldo, ronaldinho, adriano and kaka space and chances like that

EDIT - I also just wanted to point out that i dont feel that kalac should have even been given a chance against greece. he had a shocking game yet thought he did ok. they guy doesnt even play first team football. granted he plays for AC Milan but is there something special about their benches? i doubt it

I agree defence was a worry, if the Dutch had taken thier chances we would be in panic mode. But Schwarzer did his job like he always does so we may well be able to put in a few more draws with him. Defence definitely needs fixing though as if we give Brazil that much room to move we're be finished.

Sureshot

Executive member
Japan lost to Malta :D

1-0 :D

Now that's funny.

Population of Malta is very small.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Well it's a good thing we don't read much into the friendly's ;) Aus bearly beat Liechtenstein ranked well outside the top 100, 3-1 with 2 late goals in the final 15 minutes. Oh well good to get another win under the belt.

Sureshot

Executive member
Master of Knowledge eh Sylvester ;)

:D

HA, Points and laughs.

On bad news, looks like Ciss? has broken his leg again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread