General Cricket Discussion

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
I approve of all the changes. Forcing an extra player into the inner circle could actually make quite a big difference because it will make it harder to work singles and force batsmen to be slightly more aggressive during the middle overs, without forcing the slogfest like powerplays did.

And all the harping on by the 'experts' about when the powerplay should be taken...:noway I guess there wasn't much else to talk about in the middle overs.

Aakash Chopra: ICC cricket committee's recommendations are unfair on spinners | Cricket Features | Cricinfo ICC Site | ESPN Cricinfo Chopra writing on Cricinfo about spinners and how they may not get much from the changes. Didn't think about it at the time, but I think I agree. If a spinner is getting targeted, 4 outfielders is not giving him so many options for a catch.

I wonder if they've thought about having the usual 5 men out in the last 10 overs of an innings. 4 will work well in the middle overs when all the milking occurs, but I would have thought only 4 outfielders at the end would lead to too many boundaries.

angryangy

ICC Chairman
One would hope it introduces some prerogative to get wickets earlier and also for death bowling plans and execution to tighten up. I for one am not particularly fussed about seeing greater or fewer numbers of outfielders intercepting the ball. Yes you can change the numbers, but the wool is not pulled over anyone's eyes.

Stats so far suggest that spin bowling has improved in the Caribbean and Asia, but done worse elsewhere since October 2011. In figures I've pinched for some of the most used spinners, it seems the net strike rate has dropped by 2 and they're conceding 1 more run every 3 overs. With the data very much weighted by the CB Series, if trends continue elsewhere, the numbers might bend back the other way. It's not a meaningful statistic with no England data at all yet, but it is certainly too early to call it.

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
One would hope it introduces some prerogative to get wickets earlier

Good god yes. I watched the Pak-SL match in dismay last night. SL is 5/40 after 15 overs, pacemen have done all the damage, ball is nipping off the pitch nicely, 2 new batsmen at the wicket...and we see Mohammad Hafeez introduced in the bowling PP and the minimum # of men in the circle :facepalm.

I think if bowlers had 12 overs instead of 10 we might have seen Gul or Tanvir for longer which is what I WANT as a spectator. Surely the captains want it too so they can attack for longer.

As for spinners...well we'll just have to wait and see a bit I think. Spinners are getting powerplay overs more and more so they are used to bowling with less fielders out. But then again, the guys who bowl in powerplays are either the mystery guys who are hard to hit, or the guys who fire in yorker like deliveries. Neither are really cricket skills you should be encouraging.

AbhinavSuper

School Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
IMO people of different profession should stop jumping into others profession. This whole is complicating the things...

Bevab

Staff Member
PlanetCricket Award Winner
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Bolt said that he will become a footballer a year or two before. And now this. Brilliant.:facepalm

Gaurav_7

Executive member
CSK
RR
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
That article Sifter posted said Bolt is an accomplished cricketer. So, why not?

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
Yeah Bolt played a lot of junior cricket apparently. He'd be way better than Andrew Johns, the rugby league legend, who got a game for NSW in the early days of the T20 tournament. There was some fiasco where Johns batted with Simon Katich at the end of an innings and Katich wouldn't let Johns face Shaun Tait - something like that...Either way it didn't help cricket much.

Anyway, check this out. Bolt knocked over Chris Gayle in some kind of match...

Last edited by a moderator:

Themer

Chairman of Selectors
He actually looks to have a very decent action there. Pretty good pace unsurprisingly as well.

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
^Makes sense to me. They have 4 teams from there which will probably make up 1/3rd of the teams every time. They would certainly generate enough money from it. Then just rotate between England, Africa and the other 3 (Aus/NZ/WI).

2015-Aus/NZ
2019-England
2023-Asia
2027-Africa
2031-Aus/NZ/WI
2035-Asia
2039-England
2043-Africa
2047-Asia
2051-Aus/NZ/WI
etc. etc.

Users who are viewing this thread