Getting ball to bounce of the pitch with drives

grkrama

National Board President
Im not able to have the straight drives bounce of the pitch, even well timed ones seem to travel over the pitch and bound of the ground only after crossing the pitch.I have been able to beat the bowler a few times,but the thing is with drives without using any trigger, haven't seen the ball bounding of the pitch anytime even using interactive replays, this is a bit of a nitpick for me, the game for me as i keep hitting straight to bowler and he keeps dropping it,kind of loosing the immersion a bit.

I took the advice suggested to me and tried timing better played in amateur and even rookie levels,but im still not able to get a drive were the ball bounces off the pitch.

Can someone show how you are achieving it, if you can show a video of it in interactive replay slo mo would really helpful.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 9102

Holding LT+RT for an 'aggressive' ground shot tends to hit it into the ground with little chance of a catch, but these take a fuller swing at the ball rather than being the more controlled strokes similar to your videos.

I agree that the straight drives seem to get a bit too much air on them sometimes, but this seems to be balanced out by the frequency that they get dropped - I haven't been dismissed caught and bowled yet although I've taken a few (probably too many).

ninjapintu

Club Captain
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Driving full balls at late timing seems to be keeping them at ground. But good length balls at good timing go to air. And all pull and cut shots got to air irrespective of how they are timed. I think it is because of how the shots are played. The drives the player plays seems to be pushing at balls rather than caressing them in the gaps. While this works for slower balls and full balls, for fast balls at good or short of good length, the shot needs to be changed to keep the ball on ground. And batsmen need to rotate their wrist over the ball the keep the pull on ground.

Well this is what I think. I have seen AI play some nice grounded on and cover drives without taking full swing of bat and even seen them keep their pull on ground. So, if there is a way to play grounded drive, kindly tell them. It will certainly improve my game by a lot

dippa

Club Captain
Only thing I'd say about that first video is that the direction of the bat imparts a degree of slice upon the ball that would naturally result in the air that is reflected that the end shot has gained.

I think, what we should be aiming for, is a physics system that applies a better sense of gravity once a ball reaches a certain height. But the reality that will ensue is that fours and sixes are immensely more difficult to obtain.

Just a thought.

zaff4444

Club Captain
Holding LT+RT for an 'aggressive' ground shot tends to hit it into the ground with little chance of a catch, but these take a fuller swing at the ball rather than being the more controlled strokes similar to your videos.

I agree that the straight drives seem to get a bit too much air on them sometimes, but this seems to be balanced out by the frequency that they get dropped - I haven't been dismissed caught and bowled yet although I've taken a few (probably too many).

Yep holding both together=LT+RT with foot placement=attack then L/S up should definitely play a straight drive with bouncing.

karolkarol

International Cricketer
Profile Flag
Ireland (Cricket)
Yep holding both together=LT+RT with foot placement=attack then L/S up should definitely play a straight drive with bouncing.

I've gotten out a few times front foot driving what appear as good length balls only on replay to be shown they were pretty much back of a length. I would suggest that unless its really full driving off the back foot. If you want to take more of an agressive approach LT+RT definitely gets the ball down on the pitch. I use this alot when spinners overpitch.

All that said, don't listen to me, I am cr@p at batting.......

zombieian

International Coach
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
I'm having the same problem since patch 2. It's just very hard to keep the ball down. Never had this issue pre patch 2.
I have just adapted the way that I play so that I try hard not no hit the ball straight back to the bowler. Playing an 'in to out' shot off the back foot to straight balls gives good results, as does going back and clipping the ball into the on side.

Hooper

ICC Board Member
Shots to avoid:

Straight drive
cut shot
pull shot

all 3 shots are never along the carpet and if theres a fielder there, they will catch it.:noway

cricket_online

ICC Board Member
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
I'm having the same problem since patch 2. It's just very hard to keep the ball down. Never had this issue pre patch 2.
I have just adapted the way that I play so that I try hard not no hit the ball straight back to the bowler. Playing an 'in to out' shot off the back foot to straight balls gives good results, as does going back and clipping the ball into the on side.

This. After playing for a few hours on PS3 (mostly batting), I have noticed it's not just th pull/hook & cut shots which are hit in the air, though they need fixing the most. Even cover drives go up in the air and I was caught out a few times when I hit fully pitched deliveries (yellow and almost yorkers) in the covers region. Shots definitely do tend to go a lot more in the air compared to pre-patch 2, but surprisingly the shots off the leg don't go in the air that much. In nutshell, the leg side flicks have been fixed but other shots need a bit of tweaking now. @BigAntStudios (Ross), @HBK619, would appreciate it if these tweaks (especially cut & pull/hook shots) can be part of patch 3.

----------

Shots to avoid:

Straight drive
cut shot
pull shot

all 3 shots are never along the carpet and if theres a fielder there, they will catch it.:noway

I would add cover drive to the list as well but it's not as bad as cut & pull/hook shots.

Last edited:

grkrama

National Board President
Playwise im able to get cut and pull shots in the gap even though its going aerial,once the ai puts a fielder i try to leave short ball or go on the off side.

But straight drive, im not able to stop, some how are the other by reflex i play a straight drive, it would be cool if the ball actually bounced of the pitch instead of flying straight(this going to be important when players level up in career as at veteran or legend levels the bowler catches frequently unlike pro level were they drop a lot, also not to mention you will face bowlers with better attributes), i dont mind if the bowler stops it as long its coming of the pitch instead of him dropping it, cause straight drive is almost a go to shot when you get an quick straight one.

Like zombien and cricket online said i go for inside out shots or cover drives to avoid hitting straight for straight deliveries.While i can score and certainly live with that, it would be great if @BigAntStudios can tweak the straight drive a bit, even if just for the feel factor of a straight drive like ponting or srt it would be cool.

HBK619

Big Ant Studios
Big Ant
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
This. After playing for a few hours on PS3 (mostly batting), I have noticed it's not just th pull/hook & cut shots which are hit in the air, though they need fixing the most. Even cover drives go up in the air and I was caught out a few times when I hit fully pitched deliveries (yellow and almost yorkers) in the covers region. Shots definitely do tend to go a lot more in the air compared to pre-patch 2, but surprisingly the shots off the leg don't go in the air that much. In nutshell, the leg side flicks have been fixed but other shots need a bit of tweaking now. @BigAntStudios (Ross), @HBK619, would appreciate it if these tweaks (especially cut & pull/hook shots) can be part of patch 3.
Like everything, we will give it time to settle down before resorting to making any changes.

From our perspective, nothing changed with the way the ball comes off the bat from those specific shots.

We've tweaking the way Pro and Veteran difficulties work with regards to leniency and aiding of footwork, which may effect how you're timing the shots now.

Change and difference, doesn't mean bad and remember we have JUST pushed this patch so we need people to get used to every change made as well. We need to fully assess what people are getting across 3 platforms before making a change too. It's worth noting that people who have been playing PC with patch 2 have not noted the ball coming off the bat in the air, perspectives can change dependent on what system you have played on or if at all (we've noticed this quite strongly in the aftermath of patch 2).

We will assess things after the dust has settled.

grkrama

National Board President
Change and difference, doesn't mean bad and remember we have JUST pushed this patch so we need people to get used to every change made as well. We need to fully assess what people are getting across 3 platforms before making a change too. It's worth noting that people who have been playing PC with patch 2 have not noted the ball coming off the bat in the air, perspectives can change dependent on what system you have played on or if at all (we've noticed this quite strongly in the aftermath of patch 2).
@HBK619 Im on PC, i do feel that ball comes of the bat up a bit too much for the straight drive, to the extent i cant find a single moment were the ball bounces of the pitch like in the vids i have posted for pure drive without triggers, is it by design can you shed some light on this.

As a Pc user i have to say the game feels near perfect, except for
AI field settings, Edges, and this straight to the bowlers hand issue, other than these, the game is a blast to play thanks to you guys.

These issues in now way affect us from enjoying the game, but if they can be looked into it will make the already excellent game even better.

Last edited:

cricket_online

ICC Board Member
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
Like everything, we will give it time to settle down before resorting to making any changes.

From our perspective, nothing changed with the way the ball comes off the bat from those specific shots.

We've tweaking the way Pro and Veteran difficulties work with regards to leniency and aiding of footwork, which may effect how you're timing the shots now.

I hear you and you should take your time and nail the gameplay (gameplay balancing) on PC before pushing out a patch on consoles. I'm on PS3 and have played the game regularly since April and after the 2nd patch I suddenly started seeing some of the shots go up in the air so it does look it was a result of some tweaking. On the positive side, the leg side shots (flicks, glances etc.) don't go up in the air that much.

The game is much closer to being the "perfect" game with lots of issues resolved. Now the fielders don't break th stumps every delivery, fields are better than before and don't violate field regulations, fielders don't seem to be superhuman etc. If you can work on field settings (still some scope of improvement there), especially shorter formats, and the pull/hook & cut shots can be played along the ground it would be an ideal platform for future iterations.

But yeah it's a pretty good game nevertheless and kudos to you, Ross and Big Ant team for the same! Really do appreciate the hard work you guys have put in the game :thumbs

T.J.Hooker

Panel of Selectors
It's worth noting that people who have been playing PC with patch 2 have not noted the ball coming off the bat in the air, perspectives can change dependent on what system you have played on or if at all (we've noticed this quite strongly in the aftermath of patch 2).

I've only played on PC, and I'd definitely say at this stage that the vanilla straight drive pops up too many catches straight at the bowler vs the quicks.

The % of shots that I nail for boundaries is about right - it should be difficult to really middle it to the fence - but the straight drive is a shot where a good batsman should have a bit of margin for error when looking to score, assuming he's playing the correct line. Most of the time in real life if you don't get a straight drive quite right the ball just comes off the bat without much power rather than carrying 35 feet straight to the bowler.

Against spin the DBC straight drive catch % feels about right to me so far, partly because I don't pop up as many catches as vs the quicks, and partly because there's more of a risk of generating return catches with an early drive against spin in real life anyway.

Gamer Pradosh

Survival Games Champion
India
CSK
Survival Games Champion
Profile Flag
India
The bowlers even attempting to catch a ball hit off the middle of the bat itself is not acceptable as in real life such shots are headed to the boundary or we get a easy 3 runs from that...Bowlers usually try to stay out of the way from such shots but that's not the case...This is irritating at times when you think you have executed the shot well it has no reward for it or worse get caught and bowled..

Users who are viewing this thread