Getting edited commentary to work - Getting edited commentary to work

Gazzy

School Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
Hi, guys.

Sorry for more questions, but this one has been bugging me for ages and I can't find anything that properly answers it here. Basically, my question is this: how do you get edited commentaries to work in the game? I'm using my friends in the teams and have been able to duplicate some of their names with real-life cricketers. Others I've been able to manufacture by clipping real-life cricketer's (e.g changing "Washbrook" to "Brook"). All from the wav files that came with the game (as the "professionals" do it, I suppose!).

I tried to use blcedit but just got Agnew spouting gibberish every time [i:post_uid0]any[/i:post_uid0] player's name was mentioned (the usual: ten different names and then something like "bowls the final ball of the match".) I then changed back all the files that blcedit changed and it went back to normal. I assume that it didn't like the fact that I've got the Sold Out budget version of the game rather than the original Codemaster's release (which meant that the official patch didn't work - possibly because Sold Out would have boxed the patch with the game).

Anyway, what I did then was to change the original file that corresponded with the file of the player's name I wanted to change (and therefore didn't change anything with blcedit - although I used it to check which file was which beforehand). This worked fine for the original files, but any that I'd doctored were left unspoken.

Is this because I used Windows sound recorder, which appears to be a bad program for this? If this is the case, what program should I use instead? I'm downloading Audio Magic 2.34 from the link suggested in another thread, so I hope this is okay. Any clues would be good, though, as I intend to record the other names with a microphone myself, but need to know what recorder I should use for this. Sorry this has been so long.

manna

School Cricketer
i've done it using an older version of cool edit (available for download but i can't remember where i got it). there is a newer version available at http://www.syntrillium.com/cooledit/ but costs $69. Try zdnet.com for shareware version? the most important thing to do when recording your own commentary is to make sure that it is in the same format as what blc uses. just right-click on a blc sound file to check (i think it is 16-bit mono, but just make sure). but i must warn you it sounds quite cheesy! but it is a lot of fun. i think a good quality mic will solve a lot of problems (i used a small cheapo thingy with a sock over the mic to mute the hiss!). you can also use this program to splice & customize existing commentary.

Gazzy

School Cricketer
Sorry it's taken me a while to respond, but thank you very much for your help. I've downloaded CoolEdit2000 (well, the demo anyway) and have got things working, although I have now discovered I sound less like Johnathan Agnew than I previously thought....!

Much obliged for all your help.

Users who are viewing this thread