Gilchrist back on top.

G

Gilchrist

From Cricinfo:

April 29, 2006

In what is turning into a battle of the wicketkeepers, Adam Gilchrist has edged ahead of Mahendra Singh Dhoni to recapture the top batsman's spot in the ICC one-day rankings. Gilchrist leapfrogged his captain, Ricky Ponting, as well as Dhoni thanks to his performances in the recently-concluded three-match series in Bangladesh.

Gilchrist now holds a slender advantage of just three rating points over Dhoni, who himself assumed the top position from Ponting for the first time less than two weeks ago. Ponting's modest series in Bangladesh saw him slip to third. Australia now has four players in the top five of the ODI batsmen's rankings with Gilchrist and Ponting joined by Andrew Symonds and Michael Hussey in fourth and fifth spots respectively.

Full article here

Last edited by a moderator:
Dhoni on current form, is better than Gilchrist!

Anyways, Gilchrist is a world class legendary player. Should be a great battle. I hope Dhoni gets back his No.1 spot with the ODI's in the Windies!

Good to see Gilly back at the top. On his day he is the best in the business. Haven't seen Dhoni so I won't comment on him.

aussie1st said:
Good to see Gilly back at the top. On his day he is the best in the business. Haven't seen Dhoni so I won't comment on him.

You havent seen Dhoni bat?

Wheres the Champions Trophy held? I dont have cable so probably won't see live action. I'll just see the highlights in the sport news

Hopefully Adam Gilchrist will be still in form when the World Cup begins. It's probably a good idea to blood some younger wicketkeepers into the One Day arena incase Gilchrist retires after the World Cup due to whatever really as well. Crosthwaite looks like a prospect.

Adam Crosthwaite?! He sucks. He can't bat. He was dropped fir Victoria's last few Pura Cup matches. Its either going to be Luke Ronchi or Daniel Smith who might have a chance of replacing Gilchrist.

Forgetting someone? Chris Hartley's also a future candidate, and a likely one...
You're getting a little far ahead of yourself with Smith, he's played something like two matches, and could even look to move interstate in pursuit of more frequent opportunities; a prospect nonetheless, though. But, he's a decent bat, and that's a priceless attribute for a keeper these days.
Anyway, agreed, Crossthwaite has fallen down the pecking order a fair bit recently.

Last edited:
yeh no way Croswthwaite....he cannot bat, and his keeping has fallen away, i mean he got dropped from both Victorian teams late last summer.

Hartley and Ronchi are the blokes most likely to succeed Gilly, and Dan Smith is a prospect but Haddin is NSW no.1 keeper. I'd go Hartley myself, the guy never drops an edge and has Ian Healy's approval...his batting is also coming along.

i cant wait till that CT....Gilchrist v Dhoni :D (Gilly will win though because he is supreme)

Users who are viewing this thread