• Dhoni

Votes: 5 9.1%
  • Agent 47

Votes: 10 18.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
lol I think McCullum scored his first century in a T20/20 game before he even did it in ODI's or Tests. Im not sure if he even scored a century ODI's in or Tests yet.

EDIT: Yes he has scored ODI century against the almighty Ireland team after the England series.

I love McCullum style of his batting and keeping reflexes but when it comes to batting hes almost useless as he gets the odd fifty in 5-6 games as an opener too let alone centuries.

Last edited:
He made 2 test centuries prior to that IPL innings, against Bangladesh and Zimzim. Afterwards, he hit his only ODI one, against Ireland.

(Minnowbasher)
His IPL ton came against the worst looking side in the tourny as well.
Got to love him, though.

Agreed, Dhoni will probably never achieve a 50 average in tests, while Gilly maintained that or maybe just below (47 or 48?) in around 96 test AND with a SR of 88 coming in at number 7!!!! Now that's power.

As for ODIs, Gilly was better there too no question. Him and Hayden simply destroyed oppositions. He even did better than Dhoni in the IPL. I don't understand how Dhoni comes even close.

Gilly actually touched an average of 60 at one stage when he was at his peak. He should have finished with an average of 50 but he had the usual dip due to him nearing his retirement.

As for comparing the two in ODIs, I thought we don't compare players in different positions. Gilly was an opener and Dhoni is a middle order batter. They have different roles but if you were to say would Gilly be valuable to India at opener also doing the keeping compared to Dhoni in Australia's middle order doing the keeping. For mind Aus wouldn't need Dhoni as much compared to Gilly because we all know everyone wanted a Gilly at the top of the order blasting away starts plus the Aussie middle order was dam good. India of course might well be the same in that they wouldn't need Gilly in the opener slot.

Dhoni has performed much much better in situations. Gilly just swings the bat because he knows there are very good ODI batsmen to follow him. He failed to deliver in the inals of many other series. Besides, one ODI innings hardly makes him better.

He's made a half century in every World Cup final. Sure his World Cups in general aren't great, but he scores when it counts.

He also has a 99 against Sri Lanka. How many WC hundreds does Dhoni have?

He's made a half century in every World Cup final. Sure his World Cups in general aren't great, but he scores when it counts.

Dhoni just played 3 games in the World Cup.

Dhoni is a good Captain and Gilchrist is a Good Player.

How many WC finals has Dhoni played? :p

Give him a break. Can't expect Dhoni to score 100s when he's coming in at No.6

Precambrian added 1 Minutes and 29 Seconds later...

Gilly actually touched an average of 60 at one stage when he was at his peak. He should have finished with an average of 50 but he had the usual dip due to him nearing his retirement.

As for comparing the two in ODIs, I thought we don't compare players in different positions. Gilly was an opener and Dhoni is a middle order batter. They have different roles but if you were to say would Gilly be valuable to India at opener also doing the keeping compared to Dhoni in Australia's middle order doing the keeping. For mind Aus wouldn't need Dhoni as much compared to Gilly because we all know everyone wanted a Gilly at the top of the order blasting away starts plus the Aussie middle order was dam good. India of course might well be the same in that they wouldn't need Gilly in the opener slot.
Gilly's form fell away since Ashes 2005. That makes it a bad run for almost 3 years. Admittedly his ODI form became better and better in this period. And his keeping was excellent throughout.

He made 2 test centuries prior to that IPL innings, against Bangladesh and Zimzim. Afterwards, he hit his only ODI one, against Ireland.

McCullums been very close to scoring more hundreds.

He made 99 against Sri Lanka in 2005-06

He made 96 against England at Lords, batting at Three as a 22 year old

He Made 97 against England again at Lords four years later at five, after NZ was 65-4. The pitch had the ball moving all over the place, and he scored the 97 of 97 balls

He made 86 Not Out against Aus two months ago

In ODI's he has come close alot too.

96 against Australia in 2007
86 Not Out against Australia in 2007, batting at seven
86 against South Africa in 2007 in SA
80 Not Out in NZ against England
And the 80 Not Out against Bangaladesh of 28 balls

In 2007 Brendon McCullum averged around 45 with a strike rate of about 110.

You have to remember he started of playing for NZ as a 20 year old, Dhoni didn't debut for India until he was around 23-24?

McCullum has alot more talent then Dhoni, it's just that McCulllum is told to get the team of to a fast start, so of course he will have the odd low score. Whereas Dhoni comes in around 5-6-7 and gets alot of Not Outs.

Last edited:
I dont think we are doubting his talent, its just that his stats dont back him up as much as Gilly's or Dhoni's.

Fair Enough, but stats don't always show the whole story. Dhoni still one heck of a player though. But no way near Gilchrist yet.

KP has said everything that i have been thinking, pretty much took the words out of my mouth

Precambian stop repeatedly going through threads saying things along the lines that all Indian players are better than everyone else its getting bloody annoying.

agreed, How do i add people to my ignore list:rolleyes:

KP has said everything that i have been thinking, pretty much took the words out of my mouth

agreed, How do i add people to my ignore list:rolleyes:
Easy. Click on the username. (Here Precambrian ... See Left). That will open Precambrian's profile page. There will be a menu called "User Lists", just above the public messages box. Click on it, and a drop down menu appears, in which click add to ignore list. Tada!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread