Gough to leave Yorkshire

Rangeela

International Coach
Online Cricket Games Owned
Darren Gough is looking for a new county, after deciding to part with Yorkshire after 15 years. Gough, who was born in Barnsley and made his Yorkshire debut in 1989 at the age of 18, has taken 727 first-class wickets at 26.92, almost 500 of them for his county. Last season he battled back from a career-threatening knee injury to regain his Test place, but retired from Test cricket after failing to make an impression in two matches against South Africa.

"I wish to confirm that, for family reasons, I have today agreed with Yorkshire that after 15 very happy years I will leave the club," said Gough, who did not attend today's press conference at Headingley. "I am incredibly grateful for the support the club and fans have shown me through my Yorkshire and England career.

"Having joined Yorkshire on a youth training scheme when I was 18, it has been one of the hardest decisions I have ever had to make. I was guided ultimately by the fact that I need to spend less time commuting and more time with my children." In 2000, Gough moved his family home to Buckinghamshire, a decision that caused uproar among Yorkshire fans and led to a cooling-off of relations with his county.

Although his Test career is over, with a record of 229 wickets in 56 matches, Gough is keen to resume one-day international cricket, after being overlooked this winter. "My definite aim is to continue playing first-class cricket and hopefully regain my one-day international place."

? Wisden Cricinfo Ltd

Users who are viewing this thread