Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Vijay Hazare

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Leverocks

School Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
Well who do you think it is?

I'd say Sourav Ganguly, during his time as captain he was the right man for the job. During his time as captain he won test series away from home against Pakistan,West Indies,England,Sri Lanka and Australia. Which was probably his biggest achievement giving the Indians self belief to take on oppenents away from home.

Statistically and even otherwise. Saurav is our best captain. Dhoni has the potential, but he needs more time and more games to back up the claim that he is the best ever! Saurav instilled the "never say die" spirit in the team and it was during his reign that India truly looked world beaters (we do look similar now, but as I said, need to see how it goes for Dhoni when the chips are down).

leverocks said:
During his time as captain he won test series away from home against Pakistan,West Indies,England,Sri Lanka and Australia. Which was probably his biggest achievement giving the Indians self belief to take on oppenents away from home.
Are you sure about that one? Until that South Africa series we hadn't lost a series at home for about 20 years...

I am going to say Kapil Dev not statistically speaking but for the reason that he was the captain who lead India to its only world cup

Are you sure about that one? Until that South Africa series we hadn't lost a series at home for about 20 years...

Yea India did not win in Aus in 2003, it was drawn 1-1 in a 4 match series.

Mansur Ali Khan Pataudi.

From what I've read he sounded like the perfect captain. Also helped he was rather agressive when going for the win.

He was also captain of India's first team to win overseas (New Zealand).

Fantastic article here btw:www.outlookindia.com | Free At Last

We drew 1-1 and were very close o winning it 2-1 at the SCG but the draw helped us retain the Border-Gavaskar trophy. Just out of interest, who are the ones on the list who captained a pre-partition Indian side?

Last edited:
To be honest there are three gavaskar dhoni and dada(ganguly).Reason gavaskar captaincy he shocked whole world when india won 1986 mini world cup in australia under gavaskar captaincy and imran khan said that he has not seen such captaincy by anyone ever.Ganguly he was one of the coolest indian captain ever he was not like if anyone is from bengal he will select him without any reason.Dhoni should i really tell why dhoni is in list of greatest captains?

To all those that voted Ganguly - have you even heard of Mansour Ali Khan Pataudi?

This thread really highlight's India's biggest problem for the past 30+ years. They are probably the only country over that period that doesn't boast at least 1 standout captain - like a Clive Lloyd, Alan Border, Steve Waugh, Imran Khan. Kapil was probably the best but the role is a big load to put on an all rounder. That Sachin put his batting career ahead of captaincy says something about the culture of captaincy in India that needs changing.

To all those that voted Ganguly - have you even heard of Mansour Ali Khan Pataudi?

My god!How can i forgot mansour ali khan pataudi.:laughSorry i edit my post now i have four greatest indian captains if anyone dont know this let me tell you he made a 200 when his one of the eye was of goat i think.He is youngest player to be a captain he was captain in age of 17 just imagine...:)

Users who are viewing this thread