Group G thread (France, Switzerland, Korea Republic, Togo)

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Discussion about Group G

Group G Standings

1st Switzerland (2w,0L,1d,4pd) 7 pts
2nd France (1w,0L,2d,2pd) 5pts
3rd Korea Republic (1w,1L,1d,-1pd) 4 pts
4th Togo (0w,3L,0d,-5pd) 0 pts

Schedule

13-Jun-06 Stuttgart FRA 0-0 SUI 18:00
13-Jun-06 Frankfurt KOR 2-1 TOG 15:00
18-Jun-06 Leipzig FRA 1-1 KOR 21:00
19-Jun-06 Dortmund TOG 0-2 SUI 15:00
23-Jun-06 Cologne TOG 0-2 FRA 21:00
23-Jun-06 Hanover SUI 2-0 KOR 21:00

Source - Yahoo

France will win this group with ease, maybe drawing Switzerland if they play badly. Switzerland and Korea will battle it out for 2nd, and Korea can't be underestimated after finishing 4th last time round.

Drewska said:
France will win this group with ease, maybe drawing Switzerland if they play badly. Switzerland and Korea will battle it out for 2nd, and Korea can't be underestimated after finishing 4th last time round.

Korea worked really hard last time, Guus Hiddink took them out of Club Football for 6 Months while they worked incredibly hard. They also had the support of the Home Fans behind them so I reckon that the Swiss will get second.

Korea have come relativly unprepared this time.

I agree, can't see Korea going to the semis this time round. No stadiums filled with Koreans and a good coach will cost them this time round. France shouldn't choke this time round. They are fill of stars from Arsenal so I can see them going well.

Yup! France all the way with Swiss progressing to stage 2. My stakes would be on France to win the cup. Also helps that they are my sweep stakes team. :D

everyone one knows, my team, GO france, drew is right.

aussie1st said:
I agree, can't see Korea going to the semis this time round. No stadiums filled with Koreans and a good coach will cost them this time round.

And no bloody pathetic referees to favour them and screw Spain and Italy. :mad: :( :)

France for me will win the group, but I dont think they can win the tournament. Their stars arnt as good as peviously and they dont seem strong. Swiss to go through 2nd, Koreas home advantage is what got them through last time.

To be honest I don't see France beating Switzerland that easily. They drew 1-1 and 0-0 with them in the qualifying group and Switzerland became second in that group. Switzerland drew the last match in the group with Ireland, otherwhile they would have qualified directly instead of playing playoffs.

France has a lot of stars, but when they perform bad, they perform bad consistently.

It's more France choke when it comes to tournaments. They choked in Euro and in the 02 WC. If they were going to win anything those were the years to do it. Zidane is past his best and he was the heart and soul of France.

aussie1st said:
It's more France choke when it comes to tournaments. They choked in Euro and in the 02 WC. If they were going to win anything those were the years to do it. Zidane is past his best and he was the heart and soul of France.

True, Zidane has done all he could and has won everything now. Still he will give his best like always and it's upto the other players to play as a cohesive unit and take the pressure of him and give him a decent farewell.

aussie1st said:
Lets se how he kicks in his last World Cup ever.

To be honest France are favourites with Switzerland to come second BUT France don't look like a team and at least 1/2 their starting 11 is over 30:

ZZ
Thuram
Makelele
Barthez
Vieira

they have a one man team, Henry.

Users who are viewing this thread