Haddin to Captain Australia A

genghis_khan

International Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
Haddin captains A team
May 4, 2006

NEW South Wales wicketkeeper Brad Haddin was today named captain of a Test-strength Australia A squad for the Top End series in July.

The squad is overflowing with players already boasting international experience including wicketkeeper-batsman Haddin, the pace trio of Mitchell Johnson, Shaun Tait and Shane Watson, dumped Test batsman Brad Hodge and opener Phil Jaques.

It will face A teams from New Zealand, India and Pakistan in a combination of four-day, one-day and Twenty20 games in Darwin and Cairns.

"We see the Top End Series as a very important tournament for young, emerging talent in Australia and in particular for those pushing for Australian selection in the upcoming Champions Trophy, the Ashes and the World Cup," said Australian chairman of selectors Andrew Hilditch.

"We have selected players with some real experience at international level in Haddin, Hodge, Watson and (James) Hopes, whilst we also have some very exciting young players who have experience with the Australian team."

Young South Australian spin duo Dan Cullen and Cullen Bailey have also been included.

"Australia is obviously very well served at the moment with Shane Warne and Stuart MacGill, but Dan Cullen has shown us what he is capable of on the recent tour of Bangladesh and Cullen Bailey has had a very strong domestic season and deserves his opportunity," said Hilditch.

The team will assemble in Brisbane for a preparation camp from July 29.

Australia A: Brad Haddin (captain), Cullen Bailey, Travis Birt, Mark Cosgrove, Daniel Cullen, Brett Dorey, Ben Hilfenhaus, Brad Hodge, James Hopes, Phil Jaques, Mitchell Johnson, Chris Rogers, Shaun Tait, Shane Watson.

AAP

looks like a good strong team............wouldnt have Rogers, Hodge or Hopes in there but oh well.

Hilfenhaus hopefully gets a game, same with Travis Birt :)

Good to see Haddin given the role- he's shown good leadership qualities with NSW, together with not just maintaining form as a keeping allrounder, but constantly improving himself. The added responsibility of the captaincy helps him as a player, and he should do well. Looks like a strong side, it'll be good experience for Birt just being in the squad, but hopefully he gets a few opportunities.
To be honest, it would've been a good idea to include Bollinger, as he's a great talent, although his FC form obviously held him back. But, still, if he can perform in the One-day arena, it's not like he doesn't have the potential to transfer that form into the longer version of the game. Hilfenhaus deserves the chance- hopefully he can demonstrate some of the magic conjured last season against, possibly, better players.

well the oppostiton will be fairly strong...the Indian team will be very strong...not sure about the kiwis though.
Yeh i was surprised not to see Bollinger in that list....they still seem obsessed with Brett Dorey.

Yeah, I guess, and the Indian team in particular should have alot of depth as they've actually got some very promising talent on the rise at present.
I'd prefer Bollinger over Dorey any day, he adds alot to an attack, and when his rhythm is fluent, he can be very dangerous and is a great exponent of bowled/LBW dismissals.

James219 said:
Yeah, I guess, and the Indian team in particular should have alot of depth as they've actually got some very promising talent on the rise at present.
I'd prefer Bollinger over Dorey any day, he adds alot to an attack, and when his rhythm is fluent, he can be very dangerous and is a great exponent of bowled/LBW dismissals.

very true...and he has a yard or two more pace than Dorey...Dorey's pace is actually quite sluggish.

Well TBH they had to take a Fast medium as they already had 2 quicks. Just no room for Bollinger although I would have liked him in over Dorey.

Great to see Cullen Bailey get a go. Hes looking like a bright prospect.
Good to see Hilfenhaus also there. Surpised Casson didn't get named, probably explains why he wants to move to NSW.

Chris Rogers never picked him to be in the A side. Also where is David Hussey, the Victorians rave on about him being better than Cosgrove yet hes not even in the A side.

Yes, but he swings the ball, and watching him in the One Day Series in Bangladesh, he improved, he looks a good prospect. And you have to remember, he is rated as a First Class bowler.

aussie1st said:
Well TBH they had to take a Fast medium as they already had 2 quicks. Just no room for Bollinger although I would have liked him in over Dorey.

Yeah, but I suppose they already had Hilfenhaus as the fast-medium option...

Gilchrist said:
Yes, but he swings the ball, and watching him in the One Day Series in Bangladesh, he improved, he looks a good prospect. And you have to remember, he is rated as a First Class bowler.

Very true, his reputation as a four-day bowler gave him the nod I guess, and the fact is, Bollinger hasn't really performed well enough in the FC arena to warrant selection. That's what the panel looks at, anyway...

Haddin as captain is a pretty good idea. They must like wicketkeepers as captains. Really glad to see Cosgrove, Hodge and Tait in the squad.

well Haddin is the only possible candidate apart from Cam White....i mean Lehmann, Marsh, Maher and Langer are the other domestic captains or guys with leadership experience, and they were never going to be selected.

Good to see Hodge??????.......umm no it isnt actually :p

Hodge I'm willing to give a go in the 4 day game. But ODI I would rather see Watson.
Imagine Jaques, Cosgrove and Birt in that order. Wow what a dreamy lineup :)

genghis_khan said:
well Haddin is the only possible candidate apart from Cam White....i mean Lehmann, Marsh, Maher and Langer are the other domestic captains or guys with leadership experience, and they were never going to be selected.

Good to see Hodge??????.......umm no it isnt actually :p

Speaking of White, looks like he has really slipped down the pecking order. And given Casson isn't even in there he must be quite down the order now.

hmmm Gilchrist, Katich, Ponting / Jaques, Birt, Cosgrove

lol Katich is the weak link, Birt and cosgrove are very similar players...so are gilchrist and jaques....i cant decide. :p

Ponting and Gilly more than make up for Katich :) But our future top order does look bright. I can't wait, just the bowling that needs sorting.

Users who are viewing this thread