Hard Drive Partition?

Villain

ICC Board Member
India
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
I own a Sony Vaio laptop which consists of only one drive,C.Operating System-Windows 7
*I want to know the advantages/dis-advantages of hard drive partition.
*Basic/simple way to do that.
*Will it cost me lose any of my computer data?
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.:)

zeustrojanstark

Chairman of Selectors
Profile Flag
India
Depends on your hard disk size.If its 750 GB and above and if you are a power user it makes sense but not otherwise.I would recommend not to partition.

BlitzBerg

ICC Board Member
I prefer to keep my drive portioned. Simply because I run both XP and Win 7, and I like it to be on two different drives. Other reason I'd keep multiple drives is that it helps keep my files segregated, and incase I need to reinstall my OS, I don't need to be worried about losing files.

AkshayC

County Cricketer
There are many partition builder software you can try it. Easily available on internet. I haven't tried it so can't comment on its reliability :thumbs

Villain

ICC Board Member
India
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
Depends on your hard disk size.If its 750 GB and above and if you are a power user it makes sense but not otherwise.I would recommend not to partition.
It's just 320 GB,so won't be trying it.

----------

I prefer to keep my drive portioned. Simply because I run both XP and Win 7, and I like it to be on two different drives. Other reason I'd keep multiple drives is that it helps keep my files segregated, and incase I need to reinstall my OS, I don't need to be worried about losing files.
That's what,my old pc had all the three drives which was the reason it looked kinda clean.

----------

There are many partition builder software you can try it. Easily available on internet. I haven't tried it so can't comment on its reliability :thumbs
I might try if it's worth,for now don't really want to take any sort of risk.:)

MattW

Administrator
Admin
Big Ant
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Melbourne Stars
Profile Flag
Australia
If you just want the drive letters for a bit more organisation, instead of repartitioning you can just make a folder and assign it a drive letter using the Subst tool - there's a guide here.

I'd suggest getting in the habit of making backups - if you just move data to a different partition of a disk, you still lose everything if it breaks.

I wouldn't suggest repartitioning a drive that has been in heavy use - fragmentation makes resizing risky - it's really something you'd need to consider when you first get a machine.

Users who are viewing this thread