Have Original DVD but no DVD Drive

sdt16

County Cricketer
Profile Flag
India
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Hello Veterans

I have the original ASHES 2009 DVD purchased a decade back and use to play on the Laptop which had a DVD drive...

However I now have a new laptop which does not have a DVD drive...

How to install the game and run it??

Also after installation, is it possible / is there a way to play the game without the DVD?

The DVD does not have any license key but need to be inserted while playing the game...

Hope there is some way to play the game to refresh old memories...and especially interested in trying out the new MOD patches...

I do not like to download the pirated and cracked versions...

Kindly help

Thanx

AshesCricket2019

Club Captain
Profile Flag
England
Hello Veterans

I have the original ASHES 2009 DVD purchased a decade back and use to play on the Laptop which had a DVD drive...

However I now have a new laptop which does not have a DVD drive...

How to install the game and run it??

Also after installation, is it possible / is there a way to play the game without the DVD?

The DVD does not have any license key but need to be inserted while playing the game...

Hope there is some way to play the game to refresh old memories...and especially interested in trying out the new MOD patches...

I do not like to download the pirated and cracked versions...

Kindly help

Thanx

Yes, my laptop also doesn't have a DVD Drive.

You can get an external USB DVD Drive very cheap these days, probably for £10-£15, try Amazon / e-Bay etc.

Then you can get software to make a Virtual Drive and Virtual Disc. When I get home on my laptop I will write you instructions, right now I'm on my phone.

AshesCricket2019

Club Captain
Profile Flag
England
Ok, so you can get an external USB DVD Drive as I mentioned above, there might even be other DVD Drives that can connect via other types of ports but I think USB will be the most common and probably the cheapest. Then you can simply install and play the game from that, although you will need to keep it plugged in with the disc in the drive which isn't very practical.

To allow you to keep your disc in the case you can use this wonderful software called Virtual CD: https://www.virtualcd-online.com/vcd/apps/overview/original.cfm?lg=0 - The Single User Version will be sufficient. Once installed it's pretty easy, you'll put your Ashes 2009 disc inside your external USB DVD Drive and then:
image.png

Create a Virtual CD, when it's finished this Virtual CD will live on your Hard Drive, you'll be able to choose where you want to store any Virtual CD's - I put mine here:
image.png

The Ashes 2009 Virtual CD is just 2.10 GB.

When you have finished creating the Virtual CD you'll need to create a Virtual Drive, you can do this using the Virtual CD Software too, it's pretty easy but give me a shout if you need any help, then when you have created the Virtual Drive you will insert/mount your Ashes 2009 Virtual CD on it - I created a Virtual Drive F:.
image.png

Then you will see it in My Computer/This PC like a normal drive, but you won't need to use your External USB DVD Drive again - you can just use your Virtual Drive and Virtual CD:
image.png

There may be other software you can use to create a Virtual CD that is freeware but it might not work, I did try some other software that didn't work before I landed on Virtual CD but it was a long time ago and I can't remember what.

If you have another PC/Laptop with a DVD/Blu-ray drive you could even put the Ashes 2009 disc in there and create the Virtual CD on that computer - then copy it across to your laptop on a USB Stick/Hard Drive - this way you wouldn't need to buy an external DVD Drive.

Good luck!

Last edited:

sdt16

County Cricketer
Profile Flag
India
Wow @AshesCricket2019

Thanks a lot for your prompt reply and help...

Highly appreciate your detailed steps with screenshots...

I had tried to create an image with PowerISO free version on an old laptop which had the DVD drive ( I guess the image was correctly created as I could open it in the new laptop as a normal folder)
Secondly I mounted the image on the new laptop using Daemontools lite and it did mount successfully, after that I even installed it in the HDD ( I have SSD on whihc OS is installed & regular HDD) but when I tried to run the game using the exe file in the directory, the message popped up stating Insert DVD...

I dont know where it went wrong...Could it be because it was installed in HDD and not default location...I prefer the HDD over SSD for installation of games to prevent excessive SSD wear and tear..

I will try using Virtual CD software which you mentioned above...carefully seeing the steps...My only issue is to avoid spending money (even if cheap) on an external DVD drive as this game is only for ocassional refreshment from the routine Cricket 19 and other games that I play...

I will re go through the steps above and hopefully as you said even without an external drive the game is playable as in your laptop, I will be able to run the game and then try your famous Mod patch...

Many thanx once again...

sdt16

County Cricketer
Profile Flag
India
Should I try to Right click and select to Run with Win 7 or xp compatibility mode ?? Could that be the reason??

sdt16

County Cricketer
Profile Flag
India
I looked at the Virtual CD website and there is a demo version...is that the one you use??

hope it does not restrict the usage of the virtual drive created once the demo period is over....

sdt16

County Cricketer
Profile Flag
India
I just tried using virtual CD but unfortunately same error ïnsert DVD"

I cannot understand where is it going wrong...

AshesCricket2019

Club Captain
Profile Flag
England
I'm pretty sure I tried with Daemon Tools myself in the past and it didn't work, as far as I remember it's unable to replicate the protection it's either Securom or something similar for Ashes 2009.

Should I try to Right click and select to Run with Win 7 or xp compatibility mode ?? Could that be the reason??
Don't think that will help mate.

I looked at the Virtual CD website and there is a demo version...is that the one you use??
;).

hope it does not restrict the usage of the virtual drive created once the demo period is over....
I'm using the full version. I have a feeling I tried the demo version initially and it lacked certain features that are required like the ability to replicate the copy protection.

I just tried using virtual CD but unfortunately same error ïnsert DVD"

I cannot understand where is it going wrong...
I believe it's the demo version.

Well you would want to know if it worked before paying for the full version and that is exactly why 'The Scene' exists. I can't advocate it legally but it's possible to try before you buy if you know where to look...To be honest though I'm pretty sure it will work and it's not expensive software.

Last edited:

sdt16

County Cricketer
Profile Flag
India
I'm pretty sure I tried with Daemon Tools myself in the past and it didn't work, as far as I remember it's unable to replicate the protection it's either Securom or something similar for Ashes 2009.

Don't think that will help mate.

I'm using the full version. I have a feeling I tried the demo version initially and it lacked certain features that are required like the ability to replicate the copy protection.

I believe it's the demo version.

Well you would want to know if it worked before paying for the full version and that is exactly why 'The Scene' exists. I can't advocate it legally but it's possible to try before you buy if you know where to look...To be honest though I'm pretty sure it will work and it's not expensive software.

Ohh, as you said it could be daemon tools lite and even the Virtual CD trial version...

Thanx dude for your responses and help...will see what else can be done without spending money...

AshesCricket2019

Club Captain
Profile Flag
England
Well it would be cheaper just to get the external drive and keep it plugged in than buying the Virtual CD Software - around half of the price I estimate. It may be worth trying alternative software but all I can say is that i'm 99% sure if you did acquire the Virtual CD software it would work for you too - I definitely remember the trial version not working for me.

I have the knowledge to instruct you further how you could try the full version for free but I'm sorry to say I can't put my account here at risk after all the work I've done for the sake of saving you $30. If you take to Google and investigate: 'The Scene' and particular private places you can be invited to in order to try software before you buy it then you will be on the right path.

sdt16

County Cricketer
Profile Flag
India
Yes man I fully understand your position and all the risks involved...

Appreciate your prompt help and advice...

cheers

Users who are viewing this thread