• Chris Cairns

Votes: 14 60.9%
  • Can't decide

Votes: 1 4.3%

• Total voters

Harishan

Club Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
Both were good all rounders during their time but who do you think is the better of the two?

Tests:
Heath Streak (65 matches), 1990 runs at 22 and 216 wickets at 28.
Chris Cairns (62 matches), 3320 runs at 33 and 218 wickets at 29.

ODI's:
Heath Streak (189 matches), 2943 runs at 28 and 239 wickets at 28.
Chris Cairns (215 matches), 4950 runs at 29 and 201 wickets at 32.

Looking at their stats Chris Cairns was quite clearly the better batsmen but personally I'd have to say Heath Streak was the better bowler. He was virtually a one man attack for Zimbabwe and his ability to bowl good outswing at a good pace with excellent control was outstanding. Overall it's pretty tough to split the two looking at thier stats and I wasn't around long enough to witness both of these two players during their prime so I can't really say who is the better all rounder overall.

Cairns by a mile. Streak was from a lesser side at the time though so that doesn't help. He was part of the best Zimbabwe side ever but that was also the time where NZ were actually quite a good test side. I think we got up to 2nd in the world in that period and beat England at home.

I'd rate Cairns better in both forms. He's a genuine all-rounder whereas Streak was a bowling all-rounder. Cairns is more an all-rounder. If you asked for a bowler, probably Streak because he was more an opening bowler. Cairns opened or did first change which was a better role for him. However batting-wise it's Cairns by some margin. Cairns was a match-winner with the bat.

And once again. Comparison threads suck.

Last edited:
Everyone, not just these two, have been legends in their own right.

Bat: Cairns
Bowl: Streak

Rest I don't know, both were brilliant though.

You get into Hadlee territory, was Streak truly an 'all-rounder' ? Little doubt Cairns was, not just because of his 33 average in Tests, but because he made five hundreds compared to Streak's solitary hundred. Streak also made only half as many fifties (11) in three more Tests than Cairns

100s & 50s vs 5wi & 10wm

Cairns (62 Tests) - 100 x5, 50 x22. 5wi x13, 10wm x1
Streak (65 Tests) - 100 x1, 50 x11. 5wi x7, 10wm x0

In 215 ODIs Cairns made four hundreds and 26 fifties, Streak played 189 ODIs and made 13 fifties but no hundreds. Not too surprisingly Streak took twice as many 4wi hauls as Cairns.

For me Cairns was an all-rounder, Streak was a bowling all-rounder ie a frontline bowler who was very good with the bat. Hadlee too was a bowling all-rounder rather than a proper one, just two hundreds in 86 Tests compared to NINE 10 wicket matches. If all-round is contributing equally with bat and ball, then neither Streak nor Hadlee contributed anything like as much or as often with the bat as with the ball. They'd both be top of their respective countries all-time bowlers lists, I expect Streak might make the top ten batting for Zimbabwe because of their lack of quality and because they were only a Test nation for a decade or so. Would Hadlee make a top ten kiwi all-rounder list for batting?

I can find only four Zimbabwean Test players with more runs than Streak - Andy and Grant Flower, Alistair Campbell, and Guy Whittall. I'm sure Murray Goodwin, Tatenda Taibu, Neil Johnson, Stuart Carlisle, Andy Blignaut and Sean Ervine were among others not only with a better batting average, but who were better batsmen than Streak. So even as an all-rounder he wasn't the best Zimbabwean all-rounder with the bat, not that all those listed are/were all-rounders but Ervine, Johnson, Whittall and Blignaut certainly were.

As for kiwi all-rounders better with the bat than Hadlee :-

Oram : 1780 runs @ 36.33 (100 x5)
Cairns : 3320 runs @ 33.54 (100 x5)
Reid : 3428 runs @ 33.28 (100 x6)
Congdon : 3448 runs @ 32.22 (100 x7)
Thomson : 958 runs @ 30.90 (100 x1)
Vettori : 3779 runs @ 30.72 (100 x5)
Hadlee : 3124 runs @ 27.17 (100 x2)

Thomson only played 19 Tests, had he played 86 Tests then it would be fair to assume he might have made 4-5 hundreds. Hadlee is the only one to score 3000+ runs and not make 5+ hundreds, Oram managed it without even reaching 2000 runs.

Hadlee clearly wasn't in the same class of batsman as all-rounders, it annoys me when people call him that. I think it stems from the era when Imran Khan, Ian Botham and Kapil Dev were greats and great all-rounders and, because Hadlee was no mug with a bat, he was thrown into a four-way comparison even though he was clearly a bowler and not a batsman. Malcolm Marshall was another who wasn't really an all-rounder, he could bat but never made a hundred.

All-rounder is a term branded about willy nilly by fans, referring to the fact a bowler can bat or a batsman can bowl. But if you are comparing "all-rounders" you do need to check they are comparable and it is reasonable to call them all-rounders. If anyone ever quotes a rating system for all-rounders, throw them a 'curve ball' and ask them to insert a batsman (Bradman) or a bowler (McGrath). They should be filtered out by minimum requirements, at least one 5wi and one hundred would be a start, not to mention 100+ wickets and 1000+ runs if they are doing "greatest evers". The rare oddity like Gillespie might beat most filters, but Bradman and Walsh shouldn't. The flaw in many rating systems can be exposed by Bradman because his batting average was so high, and his bowling average was 36 (two wickets). If that isn't filtered out it is a poor system. I've thrown in McGrath as a bowler averaging under 22, 500+ Test wickets and no fifties to his name.

Cairns was a genuine all rounder whereas Streak was always a bowling all rounder for me. Batting is definitely Cairns, I always feared when he came in and knew the game was never over until he was out. Bowling is pretty even but slightly towards Streak.

heath Streak was one of the boons to Zim. team
But Cairns wasn't a type of boon or very dependable player for team Nz. with them having Bond, Fleming etc.

The flaw in many rating systems can be exposed by Bradman because his batting average was so high, and his bowling average was 36 (two wickets). If that isn't filtered out it is a poor system. I've thrown in McGrath as a bowler averaging under 22, 500+ Test wickets and ONE fifties to his name.
Fixed that :p

What the point of this comparison again?

Chris Cairns can bat well but Heath Streak is better in bowling but I still prefer Cairns.

Users who are viewing this thread