Hindi Cinema Discussion

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Is it just me or Rahman's songs just aren't great as one would expect, in THIS movie? Apart from Challa, no other song really makes me say "man, that's Rahman for you"! A little disappointed but then gain, we cannot expect him to be so damn consistent.

Its not his best work by any means, but considering the lofty standards that Rahman has set for himself, people always expect him to move mountains.

For me, JTHJ is good work by Rahman, and definitely among the best works in recent times in Bollywood as an whole album put together.

deathrevenge9

International Coach
Online Cricket Games Owned
Is it just me or Rahman's songs just aren't great as one would expect, in THIS movie? Apart from Challa, no other song really makes me say "man, that's Rahman for you"! A little disappointed but then gain, we cannot expect him to be so damn consistent.
I have a different opinion though. Rehman has done a great job here too. 'Saans' to me sounds a beautiful melody powered by good singing by Shreya and Mohit. Heer is also a soulful compositon. Okay,these songs don't sound that good (speaking of Rehman's Standards) but when you give them an ear for a few time you actually fall in love with them. :)
I haven't watched the movie yet but I am somehow vey much sure that when the Songs will come along in the movie they would give you a soulful feeling and will carry you along the whole flow of the movie.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
Hearing great things about 'Jab Tak Hai Jaan'. Already can't wait. Its just 13 more hrs to the film for me.

BlitzBerg

ICC Board Member
I think the music is great, but its disappointing to see things not fitting together. For eg. 'Saans' has a fantastic score to it, but the lyrics don't work in it, and hard work goes waste.

Pranav

ICC Board Member
News is that all the three Khans were present at the premiere. Very sporting of Salman to come given the animosity between him and Shah Rukh.

I have my tickets booked for tomorrow! :)

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
News is that all the three Khans were present at the premiere. Very sporting of Salman to come given the animosity between him and Shah Rukh.

I have my tickets booked for tomorrow! :)

It was all because of Yash Chopra....:yes

Aalay

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
India
It was all because of Yash Chopra....:yes

And Katrina Kaif :yes

----------

This is kind of old but the song from Student of the year, "Ishq wala love". I don't know why so many people have liked that song. To me, the melody is good but the lyrics are absolutely rubbish.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
And Katrina Kaif :yes

----------

This is kind of old but the song from Student of the year, "Ishq wala love". I don't know why so many people have liked that song. To me, the melody is good but the lyrics are absolutely rubbish.

She is his ex now.... And the fact that she is getting into close proximity these days with his rival SRK would have made it highly uncomfortable with her.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
Watched 'Jab Tak Hai Jaan'. Its a film that impresses only in parts. Considering the mountain of expectations on the film and considering that its a Yash Chopra film, it falls short by quite a bit.... And it does not help at all that the hero looks pale, tired and probably disinterested. Looks like Shahrukh's time with romance should be put to an end, or else he will learn it the hard way soon enough..... Nowhere in the film did I feel that Shahrukh is doing really well. The same old expressions while crying, etc... While he was young, his boyish charm and his vibrant attitude probably masked a lot of his flaws. But now they are showing up in the open.

But the same can't be said about the heroines. The heroines completely overshadow Shahrukh and its no mean task to do. Especially Katrina Kaif has improved leaps and bounds as an actress of substance. After ZNMD, she comes up with another substantial but this time more meatier and extraordinary performance. I hated her at the beginning, but now I am beginning to fall for her!:D Anushka Sharma is a firecracker! I have loved her since her first film, and she only re-iterates that she is a delight to watch onscreen. She plays a meaty enough role in this film and plays it with aplomb!

The Yash Chopra touches are sprinkled through the film, but they don't sustain for decent periods of time. There are scenes where you need to take out your tissues, but they are few and far in the film. The screenplay and the story (by son Aditya Chopra) proves the biggest stumbling block. Probably Yashji should have written his own story/screenplay, or Adi should have directed this film. Also the music by Rahman is hugely underwhelming. The background score of the film is essentially a mixture of the songs used in instrumental versions. Again, it felt like Rahman wasn't interested enough to put in an effort. Except "Challa", can't even properly remember any of the song picturisations now (its 30 mins since the movie ended).

Overall: A decent movie that can be watched purely because you are not going to watch a Yash Chopra film again, and to see the performances of the heroines! Otherwise, wait for the DVD to come! 2.5/5

Pranav

ICC Board Member
Just came back after watching Jab Tak Hai Jaan, and to me, the film is really good. It's one of the best romantic films of recent times, definitely the best in last 2-3 years. To be honest, there haven't been any half decent romantic flicks in the aforementioned time. In fact, the last romantic film I liked was Rab Ne Banadi Jodi (which I think came in 2008). The film is much better than Ek Tha Tiger/other recent romantic crap.

I pretty much liked the acting of all three leads. Shah Rukh Khan in particular acted really well. Katrina to an extent was also good. Anushka was annoying to begin with, but outplayed Katrina in the latter stages of the film.

The plot of the movie is pretty decent. Not too great, but at the same, not bad in the slightest. The movie is a bit slow and long, but I never really got bored, so no complaints here.

The only drawback is the music. One has to agree that Rahman was nowhere near his best and leaving apart a couple of songs, the rest of the music is below average. Fortunately they managed to put up a decent background score by choosing the right song/tune for the right moment.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
I am planning to watch Jab Tak Hai Jaan again... Because after the show, I was confused on whether I liked the film or not. Also for me, the "it gets better with additional hearing/watching" has always worked. I discarded Lagaan 3 times after watching the initial parts, but today I love the film and consider it a classic. I didn't like Silsila or Chandni the first time I watched, but today they are classics to me.

Will give JTHJ another viewing.....

Prithvi

10 years at Planetcricket
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
First half reminded me of Rockstar- falling in love after engagement, both dating each other. But second half was seriously awesome. and those last dialougs of Anushka..

Its not the story of courage.
Its not the story of pride.
Its a simple story.... of love.

Marvelous.:thumbs

Users who are viewing this thread