The PlanetCricket View: Hussey outside of Australia and the Sub-Continent

Article by Sylvester -

I was doing some research into Michael Hussey for another post and stumbled upon some very surprising stats. No one has really noted this, not in the media, blogs or forums. How does Michael Hussey perform outside of Australia and the Sub-Continent?

Hussey started his career with a hiss and a bang averaging 120, 56, 64, 81, 92 and 150. Those are some amazing numbers to start a career and it made Hussey much loved and much talked about. The average of 64 was in Australia in South Africa Test Series, 2005/06. The reason why I single out this average is it remains the only time he has done anything of note outside of Australia and the sub-continent.

His following series outside of these places show the following:

Extra:

So quite surprisingly Hussey did not once average over 40 in any of these countries listed. Originally I was looking at how Hussey went on seam friendly tracks hence I threw in the recently completed series against NZ. But after seeing how he has gone in WI I added the criteria shown in the title.

In regards to seam friendly tracks, I may have missed some in Australia and the sub-continent however it is generally accepted that England, NZ and SA are where these pitches are at. Hussey is generally labeled as a guy that has a good technique and puts a high price on his wicket but the seam friendly tracks seem to suggest his technique is not as air tight as most of us thought it was (myself included).

Now lets take a look at how Hussey goes outside of Australia and the Sub-Continent. Using cricinfo very useful stats in 20 matches in England, SA, NZ and WI, Hussey has scored 1024 runs at an average of 30.11 with one hundred. Compare this with his average in the sub-continent (India, SL and Bangladesh) where in 11 matches he has passed his total runs in those countries listed before with 1198 runs at 63.05 with four hundreds and a highest score of 182. In Australia from 35 matches he has 2974 runs at 59.48 with ten hundreds and his highest score of 195. So interesting enough Hussey actually performs better in the sub-continent than at home which suggest he loves the slow wickets and facing spin. Quite clearly he doesn?t prefer the seaming tracks founds in England, SA, NZ and whatever tracks they prepare in WI.

Over to a nice career summary provided by cricinfo showing what I have pointed out in a nicely laid out format.
Hussey+career+stats.png

So how do other players compare. Obviously players from the sub-continent would be a good measure since Hussey loves playing. Lets take a look at the man trending atm, Virender Sehwag.

Sehwag+career.png

Sehwag?s numbers are very similar to Hussey in the seam friendly tracks (NZ, SA, England). Hussey fares slightly better averaging 31.67 on these tracks compared to Sehwag?s 24.7. Sehwag has gone better in WI but since I have no idea what tracks Sehwag or Hussey played on in WI, I?ll leave it at that. So while Hussey has gone better, it certainly isn?t anything to write home about.

Next on the comparison list is Michael Clarke, who started his career off with his flashy shots which went in the air and has been prone to some brain fades in particular before breaks.

Clarke+career.png

Clarke has copped alot of criticism for the way he plays. He was dropped following the 2005 Ashes series but despite that poor showing his record in England remains very good. Interesting enough he finished that series at a better average than Hussey with 37.22 with two fifties. His figures in England also weren?t bumped up by the Pakistan series played in England as he only averaged 34.75 in that series. The reason his average is in the 40s in England is because of his outstanding showing in the 2009 Ashes where he averaged 64 with two hundred and two fifties. He has a much better record in NZ and WI while his record in SA is on par with Hussey. Of course in the zone (sub-continent) Clarke doesn?t come close to Hussey?s record.

The last man I will compare is a batsmen who is at the peak of his powers atm ? Alastair Cook. He has played a similar amount of games as Hussey but far less first class experience.

Cook+career.png

There is a slightly small sample size to work with here but we still get a very good indication of what a guy with a good technique and a high price on his wicket can do. As one would expect he should have a good record in his home land which he does. In SA he has done what Hussey hasn?t been able to do thus far in scoring a hundred and his average of 40 is more than respectable. New Zealand remains the only blimp on Cook?s radar which I?m sure he will rectify in the future.

To summarize, we can see Hussey like most of the Australian batsmen these days, struggles in the seaming conditions. This was quite surprising for me as I thought he had done better in those conditions especially since he spent so much time on the County Cricket circuit.

More...

I've noticed it, and you can throw matt hayden in there as well (although he isn't relevant to any sort of problem australia are having right now). because I've said before, there is relatively little prodigious swing in australia, hussey (and hayden) were excellent at playing bouncier wickets but not swing.

Interesting that since Hayden also was one that did well on the sub-continent pitches.
It seems our players either like bouncy + slow/spinning decks or bouncy + seam but not all 3.

I noticed a couple of those blemishes on Hussey's record when picking my fantasy team for Aus vs. NZ. Didn't realise just how bad some of those numbers have been though. Until recently, I was probably swayed by his ODI performances where he's rescued us a number of times, much like Bevan used to.
Funny though, I would've defended Hussey to death if someone had called him a FTB.

Interesting that since Hayden also was one that did well on the sub-continent pitches.
It seems our players either like bouncy + slow/spinning decks or bouncy + seam but not all 3.

to be fair to these players, I think there's probably relatively few that can play all surfaces, and they will be players like ponting, kallis, tendulkar, dravid, lara; genuine great players. (ponting wasn't as bad as suggested against spin, it was a weak suit but not glaringly awful)

Kallis has a woeful record in England, Dravid equally bad in South Africa. But then Dilshan was a gun in England and yet he usually seems to be easily worked out by hostile pace bowling. Explain that with your precious science!

Been saying it for years. Hussey struggles when he can't leave on length alone. Excellent at judging when the bounce is consistent. He is not alone though in regards Aussie batsmen.

Hayden was the same, which is why he did well on sub continent. Over there he could just plant his massive front pad outside off stump 10 yards down the pitch and take bowlers on.

to be fair to these players, I think there's probably relatively few that can play all surfaces, and they will be players like ponting, kallis, tendulkar, dravid, lara; genuine great players. (ponting wasn't as bad as suggested against spin, it was a weak suit but not glaringly awful)

Of those 5 greats, Ponting was the weakest against spin tbh. :p
Although he managed to improve his stats a wee bit in his last series in India, otherwise for some reason Indian tours have been horrible for him.

I think his record is definitely worse - obviously, you've just pointed it out :) But I look at those dates on the series you've identified and I think to myself: didn't Mike Hussey suck in basically ALL the series between 2008-2010? The answer is yes. In 2008/09 - at home he averaged 35 vs NZ and 17 vs SA. In 2009/10 at home it looks a bit better for him - he averaged 47 vs WI, and 66 vs Pak, but you might remember his average for the series was 33 before that 134* v Pak at the SCG. Given the way MoYo was handing singles to him and the question marks surrounding that game, I'm not sure that's a ringing endorsement.

So yes I think he does do better in home conditions, but you have to take those poor series in context - his batting was generally poor over that time:
Mike Hussey mid 2008-mid 2010

oh and one other extra thing that came to me: look at Hussey's first class record. He averages about 40 for WA versus about 70 over in England in county cricket. I'm sure that can't be all down to the standard of county attacks.
The Home of CricketArchive

Obviously a small sample size and we probably won't get any more data since Hussey doesn't look like he'll be around for much longer. However just looking into it he was supposedly back in form during the Ashes which he backed up in SL. Then suddenly we get 2 seamer friendly series and Hussey is out of form again. Coincidence?

oh and one other extra thing that came to me: look at Hussey's first class record. He averages about 40 for WA versus about 70 over in England in county cricket. I'm sure that can't be all down to the standard of county attacks.
The Home of CricketArchive

Just taking a quick look at the scorecards tells me all I need to know. You can have the best bowling attacks in the world but that ain't going to help you on roads. And in a number of the games where Hussey made big runs the opposition did likewise. e.g. The Home of CricketArchive
In the match Hussey made a 300, Swann made a 170. Despite the roads you can't fault his concentration, 3 triple hundreds that I know of.

Also in the quick look I did notice a few games where Hussey did fail which seem to be more seamer friendly decks. Exhibit A and B and I'll thrown in a scorecard that sums up Australia cricket in the past 2 years exhibit C. I saw three games where he made a big score when most batsmen failed. And if you need any more proof on what the tracks in County Cricket are like, here is Cam White.

Users who are viewing this thread