ICC Awards 2012

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
Since the nominations are out, thought it's better to discuss them here.

List of nominees

ICC Cricketer of the Year:
Hashim Amla
Michael Clarke
Vernon Philander
Kumar Sangakkara

ICC Test Cricketer of the Year:
Hashim Amla
Michael Clarke
Vernon Philander
Kumar Sangakkara

ICC ODI Cricketer of the Year:
MS Dhoni
Virat Kohli
Lasith Malinga
Kumar Sangakarra

ICC T20I Performance of the Year:
Tillekaratne Dilshan
Chris Gayle
Richard Levi
Ajantha Mendis

ICC Women's ODI Cricketer of the Year:
Lydia Greenway (Eng)
Anisa Mohammed (WI)
Sarah Taylor (Eng)
Stafanie Taylor (WI)

ICC Women's T20I Cricketer of the Year:
Alyssa Healy (Aus)
Lisa Sthalekar (Aus)
Sarah Taylor (Eng)
Stafanie Taylor (WI)

ICC Emerging Cricketer of the Year:
Doug Bracewell
Dinesh Chandimal
Sunil Narine
James Pattinson

ICC Associate and Affiliate Cricketer of the Year:
Kevin O'Brien
George Dockrell
Ed Joyce
Paul Stirling
Dawlat Zadran (Afg)

ICC Umpire of the Year:
Billy Bowden
Aleem Dar
Kumar Dharmasena
Richard Kettleborough
Simon Taufel
Rodney Tucker

ICC Spirit of Cricket:
Mohammad Hafeez
Jacques Kallis
Daniel Vettori
AB de Villiers

People's Choice Award:
James Anderson
Jacques Kallis
Vernon Philander
Kumar Sangakkara
Sachin Tendulkar

A couple of queries in this one. Earlier,they used to give the Spirit of Cricket award to a team, why individuals all of a sudden ? Also, why have MSD and Tendulkar been nominated ? As far as I am concerned, neither has contributed greatly to the team over the past year. Sympathy votes ?

Also, can we at PC have our own awards ceremony ? Not for members, for the cricekters.

Epic

Panel of Selectors
Also, why have MSD and Tendulkar been nominated ? As far as I am concerned, neither has contributed greatly to the team over the past year. Sympathy votes ?

What are you talking about, Dhoni had a very good year with the bat, I remember England were struggling to get him out in a particular home series. Just checked, average of 78 in the last 12 months, lot of not outs, still a great stat.

Viresh

School Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
Aug 1st 2011 - Aug 23rd 2012
Sachin Tendulkar --> 20 matches ; 994 runs and just 1 hundred..

Idk why is he nominated :facepalm
But i think he is the fav to win that award ;)

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
What about Tendulkar. He clearly does not even deserve to be in the nominations.

This just in-
ICC Test Team of the Year 2011-12:
Alastair Cook
Hashim Amla
Kumar Sangakkara
Jacques Kallis
Michael Clarke (capt)
Shivnarine Chanderpaul
Matt Prior (wk)
Stuart Broad
Saeed Ajmal
Vernon Philander
Dale Steyn
AB de Villiers (12th man)

I would not have gone in with Clarkey as the captain there, but it is clear that the best XI has been selected and thus the captain. Reasons for not having Clarke as captain as simple- 4 Tests isn't enough justification of his leadership abilities.

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
Chanderpaul-he held fort whilst the rest of the Caribbeans crumpled around him. This should serve as a wake up call for the Indians,seeing as no player from our nation has made it there-probably for the first team since the ICC Test XI was announced.

Epic

Panel of Selectors
Surprised to see Chanderpaul in the team!

Rated #3 in the ICC Player Rankings, not a total shock to me.

----------

Chanderpaul-he held fort whilst the rest of the Caribbeans crumpled around him. This should serve as a wake up call for the Indians,seeing as no player from our nation has made it there-probably for the first team since the ICC Test XI was announced.

Dravid would've probably made it had he not failed in Australia.

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
ICC T20I Performance of the Year

What is this category ? They just have the award for the best performer in T20. ICC, on one hand complains about the dwindling popularity of Tests and institutes such awards- total shocker !

And apart from Levi's ton against the Kiwis, I do not remember anybody else. Counting Chris Gayle in this category makes no sense seeing as he has just played 2 T20i's and a dozen load of IPL innings.:noway

Epic

Panel of Selectors
I can see why they've went with a single performance rather than a performer, there just isn't enough T20Is played (i'm glad) to pick out the best player in a calender year like they've done with the other formats.

StinkyBoHoon

National Board President
don't think dravids england performance would have counted in the time frame anyway.

as for the team, why is amla opening? also, very harsh that there's no mention of azhar ali who's been a rock on difficult pitches for pakistan. his knock with younis khan in the 3rd against england was one of the innings of the year and he also saved a test and won another against sri lanka.

Also think broad's inclusion is a bit iffy when peter siddle has done very well leading a new, young australian attack.

Users who are viewing this thread