ICC Cricket World Cup - May/July 2019

Who will be crowned the ODI World Champion?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

El_Cannon

School Cricketer
New Zealanders are getting fairly philosophical about it now. Several people have said that they'd not have wanted to have the World Cup if they had to have it via an effective double tie. The general feel from most is that they'd rather not have New Zealand jumping around holding aloft a World Cup with a boundary count-back as the manner of victory. Many thoughts seem to be that this will not age well over time, and people would rather not have the World looking back during all future world cups and despite the fantastic game and contest, point the finger at New Zealand being the most dubious holders ever with Zero runs between the teams.

Several others have said that T20 has had far too much of an effect on 50 over rules. Runs, had their time to decide 50 overs of contest. They were equal. Runs had their chance to decide a super over. They were equal. There's plenty of people who felt it odd that wickets got zero look-in in such rules, seeing as the game is supposed to value the bat and ball equally.

Plenty of scope for mockery from neutrals who've actually outright won a world cup (all of them) and I'm sure England will do better than New Zealand at deflecting such comment.

My view is that boundary count values bat and ball. Restricting boundaries shows good bowling control and fielding on one side and rewards batting skill on the other.

The issue with wickets lost is that this will normally penalise the chasing team - which could be based on a coin toss - and has no basis elsewhere in cricket. A team can draw a test match having scored several hundred less runs and being 9 wickets down.

Should have used tournament head to head record first IMHO but can see where boundary count fits.

Punk_Sk8r

National Board President
@El_Cannon Very well said, I never thought of that before. How keeping boundary count down indicates skill/outplaying especially as NZ batted first.

Rule makes sense to some degree now...

Cricmad

Club Cricketer
I think it was one of the most controversial decisions of the cricket ever. At present time, I don't think anyone wants to run if he/ she is able to hit 4s and 6s comfortably. When I bats, I also tries to hit maximum 4s and 6s, even 6 in an over. When pitch is favourable there is certainly no problem as it reduces the burden of running risky singles but it can't decide the winner. If other team has made equal runs by running more singles and doesn't striking much then what is the difference between runs scored by boundaries and those scored by rotating the strike?
But one thing I liked is the sportsmanship of New Zealand cricket team. When they saw that their protest can't change the result, they simply accepted it. This is in true sense a gentleman's game. Every team should learn it from New Zealand. They are the true gentlemen. But these types of rules should be examined and nullified. We can't expect this type of behavior again. Also it would be unjust to the team who was equally deserving along with the champions.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread