ICC World Cricket League Division Three

andrew_nixon

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
This tournament will be played in Darwin, Australia and forms an important part of qualification for the 2011 World Cup.

Teams: Group A: Papua New Guinea (PNG), Fiji, Italy, Argentina. Group B: Uganda, Hong Kong, Cayman Islands, Tanzania.

Schedule

27th May

PNG v Fiji
Italy v Argentina
Cayman Islands v Tanzania
Uganda v Hong Kong

28th May

Fiji v Italy
Hong Kong v Cayman Islands
Uganda v Tanzania
PNG v Argentina

30th May

Uganda v Cayman Islands
Hong v Tanzania
PNG v Italy
Fiji v Argentina

31st May

Semi-finals
5th place semi-finals

2nd June

Final
3rd place play-off
5th place play-off
7th place play-off

etho11

International Cricketer
Geeze i never knew those nations played cricket but it would be an enjoyable tournament to see such minnows play cricket.

Griffo

Chairman of Selectors
Arent Uganda a good team???

Are there any recognizable players in these squads???

Who advances to where at the end of the competition???

surendar

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
etho11 said:
Geeze i never knew those nations played cricket.

I was just about to say that :) And one more small doubt, how is it important for 2011 WCup? :what

etho11

International Cricketer
Well the nation or nations that win will be put into another tournament to compete against the stronger minnows for spots in the 2011 World Cup.

andrew_nixon

Chairman of Selectors
The tournament is important for the 2011 World Cup as it is part of the qualification structure.

The top two teams will play in Division Two in Namibia later this year.
3rd and 4th will play in Division Three in 2009.
The bottom four will play in Division Four next year.

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Cricket_League for some more details.

And can we please stop calling them minnows. They're either associates or affiliates, depending on their level of ICC membership. Minnows is the insulting term used by the press who try to denegrate those hard-working individuals trying to spread the game we love round the world. Non-Test teams is a perfectly acceptable (and correct) term.

smssia0112

Chairman of Selectors
andrew_nixon said:
The tournament is important for the 2011 World Cup as it is part of the qualification structure.

The top two teams will play in Division Two in Namibia later this year.
3rd and 4th will play in Division Three in 2009.
The bottom four will play in Division Four next year.

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Cricket_League for some more details.

And can we please stop calling them minnows. They're either associates or affiliates, depending on their level of ICC membership. Minnows is the insulting term used by the press who try to denegrate those hard-working individuals trying to spread the game we love round the world. Non-Test teams is a perfectly acceptable (and correct) term.
I'm sure that the media don't TRY to degenerate them, it's just a term that people have become familiar with.

Since you're the associate expert, do you know which division Israel is in?

andrew_nixon

Chairman of Selectors
aus5892 said:
I'm sure that the media don't TRY to degenerate them, it's just a term that people have become familiar with.
Oh they do try to denegrate them, one only needs to read a few articles to see that. Even cricinfo often describe them as "not serious teams".

aus5892 said:
Since you're the associate expert, do you know which division Israel is in?
They're not in the World Cricket League, they didn't qualify. They're in European Division Two, though they will play-off against the winners of this years European Division Three tournament in order to retain their place in 2008.

etho11

International Cricketer
Well all the time i hear the commentators call them minnows. I don't see anything wrong with it. It is just a term which describes their skill. I also don't see the point in calling them fancy words like associates as it does not reflect their cricketing skill.

andrew_nixon

Chairman of Selectors
Feelin Blue? said:
I reckon Italy and Hong Kong will challenge that group. Is Italy any good?
Italy aren't as good as they were a few years ago, when they were capable of beating the Netherlands. They recently lost two matches against Jersey by eight wickets, and Jersey are an affiliate member of the ICC.

The favourites for the event are probably Papua New Guinea and Hong Kong, with Fiji and Uganda as outside bets.

mattfb

Chairman of Selectors
Well Hong Kong dont come up against PNG which is a bit of a shame but they might meet in the finals.

smssia0112

Chairman of Selectors
etho11 said:
Well all the time i hear the commentators call them minnows. I don't see anything wrong with it. It is just a term which describes their skill. I also don't see the point in calling them fancy words like associates as it does not reflect their cricketing skill.
Well associate is what they are. It's their official term.

mattfb

Chairman of Selectors
associates doesn't sound like a bad term. I mean there are world class then associates trying to make there way to the top, quite simple really.

rabeta

News Team Member
andrew_nixon said:
They recently lost two matches against Jersey by eight wickets, and Jersey are an affiliate member of the ICC.

haha Jersey are mentioned, best place in the world :p. Oh and its good we are an affiliate member. I was at a training session the other day and a couple of icc people were there...

Users who are viewing this thread